My short Review of antiX, considering the probably antiX-23 final version

Forum Forums antiX-development Development My short Review of antiX, considering the probably antiX-23 final version

• This topic has 20 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 15-2:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I’ll probably have a very busy rest of my day, so here it goes:

antiX 23.1, dispite being the same OS that I started using about 7 years ago, it’s a completely different beast because of some tiny changes that pilled up over time – version 16.X was not something I would recommend to Linux newbies. antiX’s aim is still not to be “user friendly”, but to be fast and light on system resources (“lean and mean”). But… yes, I do think antiX is almost as user friendly as the usual distros that are pointed out to new Linux users.
      Sound used to be a problem- if you installed Firefox, you had no sound out of the box. Also many, many basic tasked lacked GUI’s.
      Now I can say that, if antiX 23.1 final version comes with the packages anticapitalista said should be included, it will no longer be considered “a distro for weak computers”. It will still look modern and have all the features Windows users expect their OS should have, but it will really have a set of it’s own tools – like Control Centre (to manage, via GUI almost all possible settings, and at the same time providing easy ways to manage everything manually editing configuration files), Package Installer and Debinstaller (from our friends over at MX-Linux), and now even it’s own GUI and light tools to listen to local radios (antixradio) or watch local TV stations (aCSTV), will make antiX a small streaming powerhouse (combine those apps with the ways antiX has to stream Youtube and you don’t need to open a browser to use those multimedia features). Finder will allow to perform web searches or query an AI chatbot without the need to open a browser. This means that, if your computer is so old that it does not handle modern browser that well, you will still be able to use the internet for lots of things.
      On antiX 64bits Full version, Pipewire audio server now (if it works on your hardware) avoids any sound problems you may have, and may even allow to you bluetooth columns and phones. Pipewire may have it’s detractors or even fail to work on some random hardware- if that happens, it can simply be toggled off from a GUI switch.
      We have a modern looking and fully featured File Manager, and even a GUI way to allow it to connect to Shared folders or to Cloud storage – all without having to type a single terminal command.

So a modern OS with all those features… and antiX still works on my old 32bits laptop. It really sounds like “magic”.

P.

Brian Masinick

@PPC Thank you for your comments and thank you for your efforts. There have been a lot of people over the years who have contributed great things to antiX. The contributions that you and several others have made, in development, conversations, suggestions, tips, and tools are, without a doubt, a major cumulative improvement.

I think I said something myself several months ago. I had not used either Core or Base in quite a while and I had an opportunity to use them to build up one of my systems. They are still the great starting points they always have been, but they lacked many of the conveniences you have spear-headed along with the help of many people. At that time, I thought, “Wow, there really HAVE been a LOT of appearance and usability improvements to our full implementations.”

Our latest effort, still a proof of concept, is exciting because it features speed and efficiency while providing an alternative to one of our aging init options – the possibility of adding s6, and perhaps eventually replacing sysVinit with s6. Even though this is an early effort, I’m very pleased with what I’ve seen it capable of doing already.

Let’s keep up the momentum, and I urge as many people as possible to continue to contribute and test as we go along; we don’t want to leave untested issues in any effort, particularly efforts that may shape a continued excellence in the systems we produce. Thanks to you and everyone who is a part of this lean, efficient, exciting work!

--
        Brian Masinick

vance

I think it’s also noteworthy that of all the OS distributions on Distrowatch antiX is number 14!

Brian Masinick

I think it’s also noteworthy that of all the OS distributions on DistroWatch antiX is number 14!

It’s the community that has helped to make this happen. People like PPC, Robin, Ch’Pol, Marcelocripe come to mind, but there are SO many more! I certainly do not discount the fantastic work the core development team does ALL the time; they’ve been there all along for many years now. When you add an active community element to all of that great work, that’s when even reviewers take a closer look. We had our work reviewed a LONG time ago, but then there was a huge lapse until community members starting speaking up more, then OTHER places besides DistroWatch wrote about us, and that made a difference.

In today’s world, while DistroWatch is one of the classic places to read about Linux distributions, today we find the active work on a wide variety of different resources, so for those of you who use some of the latest in social media, please share positive experiences anywhere, including, but not limited to DistroWatch. I’m now a senior citizen and I don’t use many of the newest resources (and undoubtedly don’t even know what many of them ARE!) So if you are part of that connected social media group, every little bit helps. I’ve sent stuff in to DistroWatch in the past; it doesn’t always get seen, noticed or heard, but if enough of us speak up, believe me, it will!

So keep sharing all the positive things you experience when you use antiX; it all adds up!

--
            Brian Masinick

PPC

antiX keeps evolving slowly, and becoming increasingly more feature rich and user friendly. Now and then someone has an idea- “why not improve this tool antiX has always had and make it a bit better or more user friendly?” or “why not adding to antiX this new program?” or “here is a tutorial on how to do this…”
              The activity in the forum leads to a better system – and a better system makes the forum easier to use – I hope that, very soon, every time we need to ask new or inexperienced users to share their system information, instead of asking them to run an inxi command on the terminal (that scares off some people), we’ll just ask them to use Control Centre’s “Information” button. You can’t miss it, it’s a big blue button with a white “i”. Open that app, click the “OK” button and there you have it, your full system information, no need to use the terminal if you don’t want to. You can copy and paste the report or just save it as a .txt file. It can’t get any easier than that, on any OS, right? Yet antix uses no more system resources with that version of the app than it did in the previous, less intuitive version.

A quick look in the forum confirmed that we get less and less technical questions from people with problems. Many, using Kernel 5.1 just get scared by the warning about wifi modules not compiling. So many people came to the forum asking about this that I created an entry about it on the unofficial antiX 23 FAQ. We just have to point new users to it. It explains exactly what’s going on, and how to solve the problem.
              Many recent posts are about new ideas of scripts or software (antiX radio, antiX TV, S6 init system, etc). Some entries are about sound problems. As far as I can see, sound problems on antiX 23 are solved either by toggling Pipewire off and back on, just toggling it off and using Alsa (like antix always did until antiX 23, with all the problems that sometimes caused, with some apps)… As always, if you don’t know what you are doing, first ask for help here- if your system already has an audio server (Pipewire) why install another one (PulseAudio) and then complain audio does not work? But we all make mistakes when we are new at doing something. Hell, I keep making the same mistakes over and over in my life, so I can’t complain about people just messing up their computers a little bit :-(

The fact is that I keep saying antiX has very few things that I can try to improve… yet I keep finding tiny details that, once polished, make antiX a bit better. What do we get when many details are polished and new ideas integrated into “our” OS? Suddenly antiX is much better than it ever was!
              Easier to use, prettier… and still light and extremely fast!

Every time I turn on my computer I say a silent “thank you” to Linus, to Stallman, to anticapitalista… to all the folks that make this way of using my computers available!

P.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by PPC.
              Brian Masinick

Right on @PPC. By the way, someone mentioned antiX at #14 on DistroWatch. I saw it at #13 yesterday. While I could care less about numbers like that, it’s still encouraging to see that the considerable efforts to combine efficiency and convenient commands is making a difference and getting noticed. Maybe those reviews that have been written are also raising awareness.

Thank you to everyone who endorses antiX and contributes to help our community, development, leadership and users.

--
                Brian Masinick

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.