Name ideas for next Antix GNU/Linux distro?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Name ideas for next Antix GNU/Linux distro?

Name for Antix 18?

What should be the name for the yet-to-be-released Antix 18?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Antix 18 Cornel West
  • Antix 18 Rosa Luxemburg
  • Antix 18 Jacques Ranciére
  • Other--write your proposed name down below

This topic contains 37 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by noClue Feb 14-3:00 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

I made a Helen Keller fortune file (also ones for Haruki Murakami, Terry Pratchett, Anais Nin, Rumi, George Eliot and others). I add some randomly at the bottom of my emails. This one by Helen Keller popped up just now and I can really relate to it:

Trying to write is very much like trying to put a Chinese puzzle
    together. We have a pattern in mind which we wish to work out in
    words; but the words will not fit the spaces, or, if they do, they
    will not match the design.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by BitJam.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

male
    male

Rosa Luxemburg is good

roland
    roland

Personal names ought to be avoided because however many you please with a particular name you will offend an equal number.

I suggest release 13, 17, 18, and so on, with sub releases as follows 13.1, 13.2 &tc. simple and effective.

noClue
    noClue

Release naming does’t need any ‘proposals for better naming’ when 1 (one) and exactly only 1 (one) option which makes sense exists.
    It’s the way that Ubuntu and Windows are naming their releases and that way you get no confusion and no need to ‘google’ it.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

fungalnet
    fungalnet

Personal names ought to be avoided because however many you please with a particular name you will offend an equal number

I disagree, there are some names that can offend the vast majority and please only a few. With the name of the previous edition I agree as those offended better stay that way, OUT!

As for the number proposal in order to be liked by anyone and everyone my reaction would be part of the same. Helen Keller in this case I can’t hardly comprehend to whom it would be offensive, probably the same with the previous name? It may very well be one of the reasons I like antix, it is not “marketed” as a multinational chain store “product”. There are ubuntus and mints in all colors and sizes with this philosophy.

While on the topic of political correctness and marketability, an artix dev has published a script to convert any arch installation to one without systemd. https://gist.github.com/artixnous/41f4bde311442aba6a4f5523db921415
    Its name may not please the majority of linux users, but gets the message across, loud and clear.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I disagree, there are some names that can offend the vast majority and please only a few. With the name of the previous edition I agree as those offended better stay that way, OUT!

Helen Keller in this case I can’t hardly comprehend to whom it would be offensive, probably the same with the previous name? …

You’d be surprised!

kenny_w had posted the same drivel on this forum (and elsewhere), but was obviously banned – http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=135633

So a big YES to your first part of this quote.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

masinick
    masinick

Though we’ve been asked for naming suggestions, this distribution was created by its founder with community feedback.

Anti has always listened to our ideas and suggestions. It’s still his creation. From my perspective the ultimate choice is his, and his gracious manner of including community is appreciated.

Brian Masinick

noClue
    noClue

On this day, 200 years ago, Christopher Sholes was born.
    Journalist and The inventor of QUERTY-Keyboard.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.