Naming virtual desktops in JWM.

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Naming virtual desktops in JWM.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mynaardt Apr 12-12:49 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mynaardt
    Mynaardt

Hi, All!

I posted this once and I think I deleted by mistake when editing it. So I hope it does not appear twice.

Anyway, I wanted to find a way to make sure all my workspaces or virtual desktops in antiX all had the same names for all three of desktop environments. Partly for the sake of consistency, but mostly because I’m kind of fussy that way. 😉

I was able to set the names easily for both Ice-WM and Fluxbox. But setting the desktop names in JWM took a little more time to figure out. Mostly because I couldn’t find an example to work with. But I got it figured out.

Here is the appropriate excerpt from my own ~/.jwm/preference file:

<!-- Virtual Desktops -->
    <!-- Comment out or remove desktops count statement if it's here -->
    <Desktops height="1" width="3">
       <!-- Default background. Note that a Background tag can be contained -->
       <Desktop name="alpha"></Desktop>
       <Desktop name="beta"></Desktop>
       <Desktop name="gamma"></Desktop>
    </Desktops>

It’s actually pretty straight forward. Each name statement needs to be in the appropriate order and each name needs to be in quotes or the first name will appear as most of your preference file and the others will just be plain numbers.

I don’t know if this is much use to most users. But I just thought I’d share it if anyone else is as fussy about virtual desktop names as I am.

Thanks!

antiX is your computer's friend: always trust the antiX operating system

pat-san
    pat-san

Adding Pager attributes in ~/jwm/tray file will show 1 2 3 4 in the workspaces cells

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
    <Pager labeled="true"/>
    caprea
    caprea

These are cool tips for jwm.
    I like the desktop-naming idea and adopted it immediately for my jwm, thank you both.

Forum Admin
    SamK

If you want to reduce the amount of space used on the taskbar try
    <Desktops height="2" width="1">
    It stacks them one above the other within the height of the taskbar. Other variations work too.

Mynaardt
    Mynaardt

Adding Pager attributes in ~/jwm/tray file will show 1 2 3 4 in the workspaces cells

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
    <Pager labeled="true"/>

@pat-san: I tried that but it only sort of worked.

It only put a label on one of my three workspace labels. The middle one (“beta”), but not the other two (“alpha” and “gamma”).

Is there something else I need to add to that because I’m using named labels instead of just numbers?

It would look cool if I could have all three show up with labels in the task bar….

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Mynaardt.

pat-san
    pat-san

I’m wondering if I should rewrite a configuration in a.jwmrc?
    I may modify things, but they’re not taken into account.
    There’s something weird.
    And then there is this page that can give us a lot of inspirations and ideas.

Mynaardt
    Mynaardt

I tried messing about with those Pager statements again, but no such luck in getting the labels to show up by default on the task bar window spaces.

Not a big deal, though. The names I have them still show up nicely when I hover the pointer over them, which is the main thing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.