Need to remove Grub from MBR

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Need to remove Grub from MBR

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Apr 21-11:41 pm by dacomboman.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dacomboman

Running Antix on Legacy mode (failed attempt – can no longer boot in).
    UEFI is okay.
    Probably had something to do with installing Grub to MBR (instead of PBR?) or not creating a new partition table first.

-dual boot in Win10 on Dell Latitude E5430.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I may be trying to read too much into your post, but I am not sure what you mean.

Are antiX and Windows10 both installed in the same computer (or is antix running live)?
    Was windows10 installed on UEFI or in Legacy mode? (You should install antiX in the same mode as Windows, if UEFI, both in UEFI mode)
    Did you originally install antiX in UEFI or in Legacy mode?
    Are you able to boot in to antiX on UEFI mode but not in Legacy mode? Is this live or installed?

dacomboman
    Helpful
    Up

Antix is installed in Legacy mode (would not allow install in UEFI mode).

Maybe i could go back (in Legacy mode), delete the partition, create a new partition table + / and install it again, this time with GRUB on PBR instead of MBR?

Just a guess…

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

When trying to install antiX to UEFI, was there an EFI partition already there (created by Windows)? Did you first disable Secure Boot from the BIOS before booting into antiX?
    If you did, as you have already installed antiX, try booting the live USB in UEFI mode, upgrade the system (Menu > Applications > antiX > antiX Updater).
    After that, reinstall grub to UEFI
    Menu > Control Centre > Maintenance > Boot Repair > Reinstall grub (EFI or to ESP)
    If this works, the in Boot repair, select Repair Grub so that it updates the entries for antiX and Widnows.
    Then, reboot and your antiX system should boot properly without needing to completely reinstall it.

If no matter what you do you cannot install to the EFI partition, then I am not sure how to get it to work with MBR or PBR if the BIOS manages the Boot order (probably having to change the partition boot order).

Let us know if the EFI reinstallation fails. Maybe someone can point to a good solution.

dacomboman
    Helpful
    Up

Downloaded latest 64bit alpha and it worked fine (removed previous 32bit as it could not reinstall grub to EFI).

Always thought 32bit could work on 64bit machine.

Anyhow, thanks for the coaching! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.