Need USB wifi adapter

Forum Forums General Hardware Need USB wifi adapter

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 23-3:48 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lmemsmlmemsm

I had a laptop running Windows 10 which I needed for work and it crashed and died during a Windows update. I’m able to still use the machine if I boot AntiX off a flash drive. However, it can’t see the built wifi. Is there a USB wifi adapter that will work out-of-the-box with an AntiX live distribution? Recommendations for hardware would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

XecureXecure

The best Wifi USB adapter I have bought is the TP-LINK TL-WN823N
    Strong points:
    – It has worked for me on every Windows version (from 7 to 10) only using standard drivers. No need to install drivers.
    – It has worked for me on every linux distro out of the box (including antiX, ubuntu and even Raspbian in raspberry pi)
    – It also has a better range than a lot of USB wifi adapters I have used.
    The only problems it has:
    – It is not the smallest. We are starting to see extremely small USB adapters. This isn’t one of them.
    – It will not detect 5GHz wifi signals, only 2.4GHz (the ones that are still the most used.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Usually. I just roll with what ever the linux review on Newegg suggests for kernel in the linux comments section.

That way. I am not locked in to a certain usb. Example:

Pros: Very Small
    Matches most cases.
    Excellent backwards compatibility with older operating systems

Cons: Doesn’t support 5Ghz wireless signals.

Overall Review: Got this initially for a customer who needed basic wireless internet for an old desktop. They ended up not needing it, so it stuck around my place. Used it several times so far, and I have to say it has performed very well. I have used it to download hundreds of updates for other computers. It works in Windows 10 down to Windows 2000 (if you force it to use the Windows XP drivers with a third party patch). Even works out of the box in most distros of Linux. This will be my new shop wireless adapter for a long time.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Now. After your post a little better. What does

lspci | grep -i wireless

and

dmesg | grep -iC 3 "wifi"

Have to say about your unseen internal wireless card? If it is supported one. I will ask you start a new thread with that chip number mentioned in title and I would like it in the hardware section of the forum. Everyone already gives me enough work around here after I come back from vacation.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Being a slow study today because of 400 mile drive. I realize live usb was mentioned. So if worse comes to worse. I recommend:

https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-wn687s1-usb-2-0/p/0XM-00B5-00035

11 bucks is not too bad.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.