needrestart & runit

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders needrestart & runit

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated May 17-1:07 pm by masinick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    xinomiloxinomilo

really minor, but needrestart doesn’t work well with runit. today’s upgrade example :

Restarting services…
    invoke-rc.d ntp restart
    Can’t exec “invoke-rc.d”: No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/needrestart line 1080, <STDIN> line 18.

still learning about runit, but sv restart ntp doesn’t work either cause there’s no such daemon in /etc/sv :

sv restart ntp
    fail: ntp: unable to change to service directory: file does not exist

it works by running /etc/init.d/ntp restart.
    do you think this could be filed as a debian bug in needrestart?

i guess daemons need to support other inits too (add service in /etc/sv ? ), or needrestart to try available options depending on init/daemon..

• This topic was modified 7 months ago by xinomilo.
    fungalnetfungalnet

I tried runit antix when that first image came out but I’ve forgotten its peculiarities since then. Then I transformed the same as a test bed to see how it runs with s6 and 66.
    I think you are mixing sysv functionality with runit and some of those missing errors you get is from missing sysv scripts. Between the void wiki and the artix wiki on runit I think you can deduce more on how runit works. Forget debian, the debian part exists at a lower level, beyond the init and service management.

Καλή και αγωνιστική πρωτομαγιά

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

As fungalnet says, Debian (and hence antiX) runit is far from complete, in fact it still relies on sysvinit scripts in /etc/init.d to start/restart/stop services. Hence the need to run /etc/init.d/app restart

Using sv commands will not work without runit versions of the sysvinit scripts.
    runit scripts provided by void and/or artix do not work well either (on antiX).

So, getting runit to work on antiX in a similar way to how it works on artix and void will need a lot of work.
    The same applies to S6 and 66 (especially since I can’t seem to get it to work on antiX unlike fungalnet).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

xinomiloxinomilo

thanks both for your answers, will probably try some artix scripts in the future too, while trying to learn more about runit.

καλή εργατική πρωτομαγιά σε όλ@ς!

masinickmasinick

I didn’t look into sv commands, but I still have a runit version of antiX that’s as up to date as the current packages offer.
    While I don’t use sv and I frankly didn’t know about it, I do not have any problems using the software. I simply logout or shutdown when I’m done, but I typically use something like telinit to change run levels; I haven’t deeply investigated whether any functionality has changed in this regard, but I haven’t run across any issues and I do use it on almost a daily basis. MX Linux, regular antiX and antiX runit are the distributions I use most often. I’m using MX at the moment.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.