network-manager and LXDE logout menu

Forum Forums General Software network-manager and LXDE logout menu

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 12-3:39 pm by anticapitalista.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hey guys, I was wondering how I can install network-manager on AntiX, I’m having problems with network-manager on Debian so I am trying to find an alternative OS so that I can still use network-manager.
    I am also wondering how I can edit the LXDE logout menu, whether I install LXDE on AntiX core or AntiX base, the shutdown, reboot, hibernate & standby options are missing from that menu, I created a thread on the LXDE forums but I’m still waiting on an answer there.

Do I have to install some sort of SystemD dependency so that I can use network-manager? I suppose that would make AntiX more like MX-Linux, right? How would I go about doing that?

I’m sorry if this is the wrong part of the forums to post these questions in, first time using the forums here.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Do I have to install some sort of SystemD dependency so that I can use network-manager

Pretty much so. One of my posts.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/l2tp-pptp-vpn-client-options/#post-2146

I gave up on LXDE in AntiX long long ago.

https://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=31202&f=11

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Network manager needs systemd and systemd-pam and antiX has blocked the installation of systemd.
    So you have 2 choices.

1. Use another network tool. We supply wicd and ceni (and wpa-supplicant if you know what you re doing).
    2. If you insist on network-manager, wait until MX-17 goes final.

For lxde, I don’t know.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

I am also wondering how I can edit the LXDE logout menu, whether I install LXDE on AntiX core or AntiX base, the shutdown, reboot, hibernate & standby options are missing from that menu

Installing systemd trashes /usr/local/bin and screws all that up. Install the LXDE version that is systemd free 1st instead of synaptic package managers version from debian.

That version is in software center or meta package installer . I aint remembering what it was renamed in antix control center in AntiX 17.

It is named lxde-basic.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Anonymous
    Helpful
    Up

Dang, I guess I’m stuck waiting til MX-17 is useable. I tried the beta version out & it was pretty good at first but after installing & compiling all the software I needed, it started to idle at 320MB of RAM instead of 160MB of RAM.. It’s 32-bit.
    And I’ve always installed LXDE with sudo apt install in the command line, never fancied the GUI’s for package managers.
    Also, you guys are aware that ‘Heather Heyer’ died of a heart attack in the crowd & wasn’t hit by a car or anything… right? Her mother even said so.. I think its the most lied about thing on the news to be honest, anybody that looks into it will know that the girl that was in the blue that got hit was fine afterwards, and who gave Heather that heart attack? The car crashing into another car, or the 6-8 guys that jumped out in all black with bats & started beating on that guys car? And does anyone consider the legal precedent that could be set from this case? Now anyone who causes a car accident is liable for someone closeby dying of a heart attack? Have any of you even watched the videos? It could be argued that because of the counter-protesters that had no permit that showed up to cause trouble with protesters that had permits, two policemen died in a helicopter crash that day.

It’d be nice if you guys kept your politics out of your work. I’ve been a big fan of MX-Linux for a while & I just think that stuff like this isn’t really gonna help you grow your userbase, but its yours to do what you want with, so.. I’d at least expect you guys to be smart enough to not fall for stupid bullshit in the media that is provably false before codenaming AntiX 17 after this woman who some of you so desperately wanted to martyr.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

It didn’t fit.
    So from one member to the other I have to say “Bye-bye!”
    I like the way antix handles the politcal,social part, cause I know where I am.
    kenny-w, if you want to start a political discussion you can happily do that under “In a greek cafeino”

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Dear all,

SystemD it is systemd (all lowercase)

ps:
    AntiX
    Antix
    » » » antiX

Skidoo
    skidmark
    » » » skidoo

utu
    Helpful
    Up

Network manager needs systemd and systemd-pam and antiX has blocked the installation of systemd.
    So you have 2 choices.

1. Use another network tool. We supply wicd and ceni (and wpa-supplicant if you know what you re doing).
    2. If you insist on network-manager, wait until MX-17 goes final.

For lxde, I don’t know.

@ anti
    I think it is not correct to say NetworkManager ‘requires’ systemd or vice versa.
    Knoppix 8.1 doesn’t use systemd for init and does use NM.

Mint 18.2 uses systemd and NetworkManager. But Mint 18.2 uses shims so as to
    avoid interference with init. Same, functionally as Knoppix 8.1
    I find three systemd helper programs in either Knoppix 8.1 or Mint 18.2
    quite useful in examining the details of the many programs being brought
    on-line in parallel during boot-up.

I find wicd in antiX 17 to behave quite comparably and capably in comparison
    with NetworkManager in Knoppix 18.1 with no systemd and in Mint 18.2 with
    shimmed systemd. I don’t know or care which of these is faster on boot-up;
    they are all satisfactory for my uses.

I’m still a novice in antiX 17 and MX 16, but have no qualms at all about wicd.
    NM has some nice features, but I can wait till later to discuss these when
    I have more experience with wicd.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by utu.

64-bit MX-18.2 using 4.20.12 Kernel LiveUSB on Dell Laptop

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

I think it is not correct to say NetworkManager ‘requires’ systemd or vice versa.

utu, consider the audience.
    Would it have been “more proper” or “more confusing” if the wording had specified “the network-manager package from debian repositories…” ?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Also, you guys are aware that ‘Heather Heyer’ died of a heart attack in the crowd & wasn’t hit by a car or anything… right? Her mother even said so.. I think its the most lied about thing on the news to be honest, anybody that looks into it will know that the girl that was in the blue that got hit was fine afterwards, and who gave Heather that heart attack? The car crashing into another car, or the 6-8 guys that jumped out in all black with bats & started beating on that guys car? And does anyone consider the legal precedent that could be set from this case? Now anyone who causes a car accident is liable for someone closeby dying of a heart attack? Have any of you even watched the videos? It could be argued that because of the counter-protesters that had no permit that showed up to cause trouble with protesters that had permits, two policemen died in a helicopter crash that day.

It’d be nice if you guys kept your politics out of your work. I’ve been a big fan of MX-Linux for a while & I just think that stuff like this isn’t really gonna help you grow your userbase, but its yours to do what you want with, so.. I’d at least expect you guys to be smart enough to not fall for stupid bullshit in the media that is provably false before codenaming AntiX 17 after this woman who some of you so desperately wanted to martyr.

The people who come up with this slander are white supremacists, racists and fascists. None are welcome here. You are banned.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by anticapitalista.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.