network puzzles

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Mar 17-4:02 am by roland.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rolandroland

I have recently moved to another broadband provider MASMOVIL (Spain) and had an optic fibre link installed in place of copper wires. The adapter or concentrator provided creates a local wireless network which I log onto from one of several conventional PCs or from this laptop. I also have ethernet broadband access if required.

The WICD screenshot attached shows 2 networks with the same name, One is always on channel 100, the other varies from 1 to 11 as one would expect. If I request a logon to the channel 1-11 range, I sometimes find it logs me onto the requested channel, at other times it chooses channel 100. At times the two networks show at differing strengths.

This never happens on any of my conventional PCs, which only show one network with the required name. Only this Acer Aspire 1 laptop shows the two networks. It never happened with the local network from the adapter from my previous supplier, only the one was ever listed on this laptop or on any PC.

What is this channel 100 network? Why does it appear? Does it signify some error I may have made in setting up this laptop, which gave me a few headaches?

I should add that the logon procedure frequently fails the first attempt with an ‘unknown password’ error, a second attempt usually succeeds.

I also find the need to enter my password to gain access to my network chips somewhat tiresome. Is there a way of indicating to WICD that no password is required, or of entering it automatically or on a once-only basis?

Lastly automatic connexion never takes place even though I have these two networks d.efined as such.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

auto problem seems well known.

link

Edit: I’d comment more on wicd but it now been ages since I ran it

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

My guess would be that the laptop and the unit from the isp both support 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz where the other units only run 2.4 ghz. Perhaps the laptop keeps trying to run the other frequency instead of maintaining one. Are you able to login to the unit from the isp and disable the 5ghz frequency to test?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

XecureXecure

Wi-Fi device: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qca9377) supports both 2-4 and 5 GHz channels.

My guess would be that the laptop and the unit from the isp both support 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz where the other units only run 2.4 ghz

This is also my guess. New routers come with both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz channels, and most of your wifi receivers only detect one of them (the 2.4GHz one). You could change the name (the ESSID) for the 5GHz signal by accessing the router’s configuration IP (generally 192.168.1.1, look for the user and password on the back of your router) and that way you will be sure WICD or whatever you use will only try to connect to the one you choose.

Lastly automatic connexion never takes place even though I have these two networks d.efined as such.

If your laptop is only used at home (you only connect to one network), use ceni instead. Try rokytnji’s link for wicd

Edit: Try searching the forum for wicd autoconnect problems or other keywords and hope you can find a similar case and its solution.

I should add that the logon procedure frequently fails the first attempt with an ‘unknown password’ error, a second attempt usually succeeds.

I use to get that using a different Network manager, and I simply had 2 options: Install a keyring to “securely store” your passwords or edit the file that stores the connection information and add the password there in case it is missing. Maybe you can find out where that file is and check that the password is stored there.

Good luck

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: Adding a bit more info
    rolandroland

Thanks for all the responses. There are indeed 2 frequencies in use by this ZTE H367A adapter and my newish ACER laptop, 5ghz and 2.4ghz and the documentation says I can change the assigned names and channels which I will do when ready, the user name and password are said to be 1234/1234. This adapter is not specific to the MASMOVIL installation, I read that any old wifi unit should work with the 2.4ghz frequency.

I have followed the pointers suggested and decided to abandon WICD and return to CENI at least for the time being until I learn a better suggestion. Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.