(SOLVED) New antix 19 install can’t mount Cd-rom, plays audio cds…

Forum Forums General Hardware (SOLVED) New antix 19 install can’t mount Cd-rom, plays audio cds…

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated May 19-2:59 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi, I took a quick look here in the forum, but found nothing that helped me:

1- I’m on a new(er) desktop pc that, after installing antix 19 (now fully updated), got an internal dvd-rom plugged in.
    2- Problem: if I put a disk in the drive, spacefm (my default file manager) correctly show’s it’s name, somthing like “sr0 … [name_of_cd-rom]” but when I try to mount it I get this error:

Mount /dev/sr0
    Finished with error  ( exit status 32 )

udevil: /dev/sr0 is known to mount - running mount as current user
    udevil: warning 45: options ignored for device in fstab (or specify mount point)
    mount: /media/sr0: mount point does not exist.

3- The same thing happens if I put in an audio CD, but VLC plays it just fine!

4- My Fstab:

# Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
    UUID=4d92d6e1-f69a-4f17-8668-51f82ad2d1e6 / ext4 defaults,noatime 1 1
    UUID=800E-8308 /boot/efi vfat defaults,noatime,dmask=0002,fmask=0113 0 0
    UUID=cc3b899d-7ab1-4c7b-81ba-1f3eb068ee9c swap swap defaults 0 0 
    /dev/cdrom                                 /media/cdrom                                iso9660    noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
    /dev/cdrw                                  /media/cdrw                                 iso9660    noauto,exec,users,rw            0 0
    /dev/dvd                                   /media/dvd                                  udf        noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
    /dev/dvdrw                                 /media/dvdrw                                udf        noauto,exec,users,rw            0 0
    /dev/sr0                                   /media/sr0                                  auto       noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
    # Added by make-fstab /dev/sdb1  label=antiX-Live-usb
    UUID=ae3c8dbd-966c-4407-a45d-0aa68c43a322  /media/antiX-Live-usb                       ext4       noauto,exec,users               0 0
    # Added by make-fstab /dev/sdb2  label=ANTIX-UEFI
    UUID=2510-4932                             /media/ANTIX-UEFI                           vfat       noauto,uid=1000,gid=users,dmask=002,fmask=113,users  0 0

I don’t publish my inxi, because, if VLC can play audio cds, it’s because the harware is working ok, right?… but I can do that, if I have to…

Any idea how I can mount cd-roms and dvd-roms?
    I tried to mount as root, same problem…
    Thanks in advance for any help…

P.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by anticapitalista.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    XecureXecure

mount: /media/sr0: mount point does not exist.

It has happened before. You can see that the problem is missing a /media/sr0 mount point.
    The permanent solution:
    sudo mkdir /media/sr0

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

/dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto noauto,exec,users,ro 0 0

shows the device is read only.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

it’s because the harware is working ok, right?

harry@biker:~
    $ more /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
    CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name:		sr0
    drive speed:		24
    drive # of slots:	1
    Can close tray:		1
    Can open tray:		1
    Can lock tray:		1
    Can change speed:	1
    Can select disk:	0
    Can read multisession:	1
    Can read MCN:		1
    Reports media changed:	1
    Can play audio:		1
    Can write CD-R:		1
    Can write CD-RW:	1
    Can read DVD:		1
    Can write DVD-R:	1
    Can write DVD-RAM:	1
    Can read MRW:		1
    Can write MRW:		1
    Can write RAM:		1

harry@biker:~
    $ cat /etc/fstab
    # Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
    UUID=abdba333-2fb3-456f-842f-bd0539f4b1ca / ext4 defaults,noatime 1 1
    UUID=d11c1f27-c656-4052-9d2d-d09aa9246d53 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 1 2
    UUID=f18b2739-9fc4-43c1-a3a5-0728d7114e8d swap swap defaults 0 0 
    /dev/cdrom                                 /media/cdrom                                iso9660    noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
    /dev/cdrw                                  /media/cdrw                                 iso9660    noauto,exec,users,rw            0 0
    /dev/dvd                                   /media/dvd                                  udf        noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
    /dev/dvdrw                                 /media/dvdrw                                udf        noauto,exec,users,rw            0 0
    /dev/sr0                                   /media/sr0                                  auto       noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0

Mine is stock setup.Mine is a dvdrw drive.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Thanks, Xecure!
    sudo mkdir /media/sr0

fixed the problem. Spacefm still throws an error, but mounts, unmounts and ejects cd-rom disk just fine! You’r a life saver!

I used my google-fu and my workaround was mounting cd-rom/dvd-roms manually with
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 ~/cd-rom

and unmounting with
    sudo umount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 ~/cd-rom

(I made a Spacefm menu entry for mounting the drive, using gksudo, that worked just fine, but the same thing for the unmount process refused to work, and had to be run on a terminal window… WTF???)

@ anticapitalista: my drive is read only because it’s a cd-rom (like I mentioned in the subject of my OP, but not clearly state in the OP itself, sorry for that…
    P.S.- any ideas how this happened and any way to stop it from happening to someone else? This error could be a deal breaker for someone just trying out antix! Also, I checked: antiX 19 live USB had no trouble at all with mounting/unmounting the cd-rom drive…)

Thanks for all the replies
    This can now be marked “Solved!”

P.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Setting up the mount points in /media was fixed in 19.1 and 19.2.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.