Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX New Member

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Sep 6-7:11 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    drryan

Coming from Linux Mint, Slakeware, PuppyLinux. Using antiX on an old Samsung small form factor laptop. So far so good.
    Glad to be here
    drryan

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Hi! Welcome!
    I hope you don’t distro hop any time soon, antiX is a great distro, and it has a great community!
    It’ almost as light as Puppy (last time I check out puppy out was a couple of years ago), but it’s a full blown Debian distro, with lots of applications that were created by the Dev’s and the community.
    Out of the box it’s not as shiny as Mint, but it’s very configurable- you can change themes, or, if you are into that kind of thing, follow how-to’s and make it look very much like MacOS or Windows 10, even on low resources computers.
    If you have any problems adapting, please take a look at the stiky posts – some are very useful!

Unasked tips:
    For really “old laptops” you may consider installing “Badwolf” browser, available in the Package Installer- it works wonders, without JavaScript on- if you need JavaScript, click the “JS” button on the browser, and it becomes a regular “private” web browser, that you can use to access almost any modern site!
    For streaming Youtube videos, try Smtube, if the video is too slow, choose a lower resolution (360dpi works well even on 32 bits devices, 480dpi is about the same quality as a low res tv channel)

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
    marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello drryan,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send you my texts translated by the internet translator, I hope you can understand everything.

When you start any topic or participate with any post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, by checking this option you will receive a message in your email inbox whenever there are replies to the topic in question.

I also tested PuppyLinux before getting to antiX, I found Puppy more difficult to make things work.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

– – – – –

Olá drryan,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e te envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

Eu também testei o PuppyLinux antes de chegar até o antiX, eu achei o Puppy mais difícil para fazer as coisas funcionarem.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome to antiX drryan. I also started with Slackware and Puppy. But once I found antix I’ve been very happy with the results. I still check out Slackware and Puppy once in awhile but I use antiX every day. I’ve found that I prefer the Debian package system and antiX has been instrumental in me learning more about Debian, even though it is not Debian and is systemd free. I use it on a lot of old computers from Pentium-II to early DualCore Intel and AMD processors.

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Howdy and Welcome.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@drryan: Welcome to the antiX community and the antiX Forum!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.