New Old Laptop Setup

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions New Old Laptop Setup

• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-11:49 am by entropyagent.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nadier_fer999

Hey Guys, sorta new to linux here. “sorta” because I had experience with linux in my previous work environment last 2020.
      3 years later, here I am. Back to Linux.

I have an old laptop Acer 4752ZG.
      installed a bunch of distros but ended up with AntiX. So far, this is by far the most OK with me so far. No lagging mouse pointer.

So, I’ve setup my OS. installed in HDD.
      condition of laptop is that keyboard has some keys stuck so I need an external keyboard. I have a bluetooth keyboard which I’ve setup using blueman based on what I’ve read on the forum so far.
      Monitor is white dead. Had it operational a while ago but died on me. Gladly, AntiX live USB installer has an option to save the session during installation so that’s good.

Some things I still need help with:

1. I want to have a “autoselect” on grub so I don’t need to use the keyboard on boot.
      tried to look at the option of setting up grub by editing the config file (header tab).
      But I’m afraid I don’t have a clue as to what I should change.
      If I can skip the grub all together, then much better and default only to booting on one option. That’s totally fine with me but I read a few people think it’s foolish to skip grub on linux. So maybe having a timeout and autoselect might be a better plan.

2. Auto start bluetooth keyboard connection on boot.
      I’ve paired the kb already and had done successfully so far but I would need to open blueman after bootup to enable connection.

3. Laptop lid sleep is absolutely persistent and I hate it. I tried reading on this but can’t find a clear solution. So I have my lid partly open half way right now. Imagine looking at your external screen with a pesky half-open lid in front of the monitor. sarcastically it’s bugging my design ego to see a half open lid.

By the way, I’m typing this in antix opera browser. So very happy to use the OS. No lags so far. I had fedora before this but it bugs the hell out of me with the lagging mouse and wifi issue.
      Actually, the wifi issue is persistent in all linux os because of the wifi switch. (I even covered the wifi module pin 20 to fix this but ended up using a wifi dongle.) If anyone can help with the wifi issue, I’d be glad to remove the dongle as it’s one more port available for me.

And the “no systemd” is freakin amazing.

PPC

Hi and welcome (back), I guess.

On your first point: search engines are our friends. I searched exactly for what you wanted and come up with: http://askubuntu.com/questions/148095/how-do-i-set-the-grub-timeout-and-the-grub-default-boot-entry
        You can probably adapt this to antiX: access the config file with something like:
        gksu geany /etc/default/grub

change what you want.
        It seems to me, that you want to mess with this settings:
        GRUB_DEFAULT=
        GRUB_TIMEOUT=

If grub, by default, already selects antiX, edit just the TIMEOUT setting, to “1”, so it selects antiX and starts it after 1 second…

To implement the change run, on the terminal:
        sudo update-grub

WARNING: Please back-up everything, including your grub config file – messing with GRUB can be dangerous.

On your second point: it seems that all you want is for blueman to start automatically every time you boot, is that it? If so:
        antiX Menu > Control Centre > “Session” Tab > click the rocket icon with green background > On the “Startup” tab (by default it should be selected) add a new line launching blueman (do not forget to add & at the end). Save the file. Done.

On your third point: please try the procedure explained here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/prevent-laptop-from-sleep-after-closing-lid/

Opera Browser is fast, but please be aware it is not a privacy respecting web browser.

P.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
        Nadier_fer999

Thank you for responding mate.

I’ve changed the Grub to 1s.
          Thing is, I forgot to mention that during boot, the grub doesn’t autostart using the default selected option.
          It just hangs in there waiting for me to press enter.
          Does changing the number activate the autostart?

Point 2: what script should I put?

Point 3: be back with you in a sec. 🙂

Again thank you.

I’ll try them all.

Nadier_fer999

I found the

On your third point: please try the procedure explained here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/prevent-laptop-from-sleep-after-closing-lid/

and tried it but can’t find the elogind from /etc/elogind/logind.conf

Is my antix different or has the location of that file changed?

Rantanplan

Hello

in antiX 21, the path is OK

udemo@antix1:~
              $ sudo find / -iname logind.conf
              [sudo] Mot de passe de demo : 
              /etc/elogind/logind.conf

thanks

Vive antiX !
              Vive le Groland !

Nadier_fer999

Tried the command you used to find the file but no result.

Here’s my system. Maybe there’s something I missed:

inxi -Fzx
                System:
                  Kernel: 5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                    v: 10.2.1 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.0 Distro: antiX-22_x64-full Grup Yorum 18
                    October 2022 base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
                Machine:
                  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire 4752 v: V2.09
                    serial: <superuser required>
                  Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 4752 v: V2.09 serial: <superuser required>
                    UEFI: Phoenix v: 2.09 date: 08/11/2011
                Battery:
                  Device-1: hid-f4:73:35:03:97:0f-battery model: Keyboard K380 charge: N/A
                CPU:
                  Info: dual core model: Intel Pentium B960 bits: 64 type: MCP
                    arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 2 MiB
                  Speed (MHz): avg: 1001 high: 1140 min/max: 800/2200 cores: 1: 1140 2: 862
                    bogomips: 8780
                  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
                Graphics:
                  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
                    vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-6
                    bus-ID: 00:02.0
                  Device-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 520M] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI
                    driver: N/A arch: Fermi bus-ID: 01:00.0
                  Device-3: Suyin 1.3M HD WebCam type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-1.5:4
                  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.20.11 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: i965 gpu: i915 resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz
                    2: N/A
                  API: OpenGL v: 3.3 Mesa 20.3.5 renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 2000
                    (SNB GT1) direct-render: Yes
                Audio:
                  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio
                    vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI 6 driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                    bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                  Device-2: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI
                    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.1
                  Sound API: ALSA v: k5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp running: yes
                Network:
                  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter
                    vendor: Foxconn T77H167.00 driver: ath9k v: kernel bus-ID: 03:00.0
                  IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
                  Device-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
                    vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: tg3 v: kernel port: N/A
                    bus-ID: 04:00.0
                  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                  Device-3: D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano Adapter (Rev. E1) [Realtek
                    RTL8192EU] type: USB driver: rtl8xxxu bus-ID: 2-1.2:3
                  IF: wlan1 state: up mac: <filter>
                Bluetooth:
                  Device-1: Foxconn / Hon Hai Bluetooth USB Host Controller type: USB
                    driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 2-1.4:5
                  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 5 state: up address: <filter> bt-v: 2.1
                    lmp-v: 4.0
                Drives:
                  Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 5.49 GiB (4.9%)
                  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 EVO 120GB size: 111.79 GiB
                Partition:
                  ID-1: / size: 103.69 GiB used: 5.49 GiB (5.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
                  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 252 MiB used: 274 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
                Swap:
                  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 5.62 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
                    dev: /dev/sda3
                Sensors:
                  System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0 C mobo: N/A
                  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
                Info:
                  Processes: 167 Uptime: 1h 52m Memory: 5.65 GiB used: 1.45 GiB (25.6%)
                  Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1575 Shell: Bash
                  v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.25

PPC

It just hangs in there waiting for me to press enter.

Sorry, I can’t help with that one. Never seen Grub do that before. Wait for someone with more experience in Grub before messing up with it even more…

As for starting automatically blueman – I do not know what command you have to use to start it. But you can easily find that out- use app-select (the Search funcionality on antiX Menu). Launch app-select and search for blueman – The “Exec” line, under Blueman, should be the exact command you need to run to start that application. It should be “blueman-adapters”. So the command you need to add is
                  blueman-adapters &

EDIT: On your “lid” problem – I think antix no longer uses elogind, so that part of the thread may now be outdated. Please wait for someone up to offer other suggestions…
                  But I ran the command:
                  sudo find / -iname logind.conf

and, after entering my password, it does list the full path for that file. I can then edit it running sudo geany path_to_the_file

P.

Rantanplan

TU

this will help PPC or others members.

I unknow antiX 22, because i have an very old laptop 32 bits, with less 1 Gb RAM.

Effectivly, about blueman, there are a lot of choices 🙂

good luck Nadier

Vive antiX !
                    Vive le Groland !

Nadier_fer999

Will try this one out. I’ll see if the bluetooth starts and automatically connects with my keyboaord.

As for starting automatically blueman – I do not know what command you have to use to start it. But you can easily find that out- use app-select (the Search funcionality on antiX Menu). Launch app-select and search for blueman – The “Exec” line, under Blueman, should be the exact command you need to run to start that application. It should be “blueman-adapters”. So the command you need to add is
                      blueman-adapters &

Be back in a bit.

marcelocripe

Hello Nadier_fer999.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Portuguese language text in Brazil directly into your language with the help of internet translators that you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

… condition of laptop is that keyboard has some keys stuck so I need an external keyboard.

If any key is being pressed due to a defective laptop keyboard, this key must be stopping the GRUB boot timer.

3. Laptop lid sleep is absolutely persistent and I hate it. I tried reading on this but can’t find a clear solution. So I have my lid partly open half way right now. Imagine looking at your external screen with a pesky half-open lid in front of the monitor. sarcastically it’s bugging my design ego to see a half open lid.

Try this topic Laptop Lid-dissabling suspend/sleep/hib.

marcelocripe
                        (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá Nadier_fer999.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Caso o seu idioma nativo não seja o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em idioma Português do Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22).

… condition of laptop is that keyboard has some keys stuck so I need an external keyboard.

Se alguma tecla estiver sendo pressionada devido o defeito do teclado do laptop, esta tecla deve estar fazendo a parada da contagem do tempo de inicialização do GRUB.

Tente este tópico Laptop Lid-dissabling suspend/sleep/hib.

marcelocripe
                        (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Nadier_fer999

Oh my. Thank you so much for the effort.

I can’t actually find the elogind in my system.

Tente este tópico Laptop Lid-dissabling suspend/sleep/hib.

Will try the other recommended solution.

For now, Bluetooth caused so much trouble on my system that I had to reflash the iso again and do another install.
                          No problem there, the installation is quite flawless in antix.

The setup however is fun. 🙂 Fun to pull my hair out. Hahaha.

also, I don’t mean the keys are stuck as in “pressed” down. They just don’t function. If it did, I would know because the monitor will flash on and off during boot.
                          That said, I’ll take that into consideration.

If any key is being pressed due to a defective laptop keyboard, this key must be stopping the GRUB boot timer.

PPC

On your “lid” problem:
                            Not ideal, but if all else fails- use what blur13 recommended on the Thread Marcelo talked about:

sudo apt install xfce4-power-manager
                            Open the program and there are options for what closing the lid does, such as “do nothing”

Man… antiX is rock solid. How did you end up having to reinstall only by messing with Bluetooth?

On your case- this particular situation would probably be hard to handle in any OS: busted keyboard, busted screen, you want to work with a Bluetooth keyboard AND you device’s lid closed… Bluetooth is traditionally hard to handle in PC’s, even more on Linux. And you seem to be a very basic user, wanting, right at your first try, to perform some a not so basic customization… I would say “learn to crawl before you try to run”… but in your case, to correctly use your computer, you require those particular customization. My recommendation would be, to use a cheep USB keyboard. Probably lasts a lifetime, never runs out of battery, and requires no configuration.

Also, if you don’t mind reinstalling (i.e. you have no data you want to keep on your pc, you may try out antiX-23 beta2, with it’s 6.X kernel… It may work better with Bluetooth devices.
                            Did you solve your Grub problem (requiring you to press enter?)

P.

Nadier_fer999

I’m not really sure myself what happened to the bluetooth. it just says “waiting for connection” and stops there.

That said, I’m checking hardware right now.

I’ve also noted the lid option from Marcelo. Looks like that’ll be the only fix.

As for the grub, it’ll have to wait. I’ll do more research on that one. Kinda dangerous to mess with grub.

Downloading beta version now. I’ll see if it works.

Brian Masinick

When you have the time to read, please visit Marcelo’s link, or alternatively look at the first four posts in the forum under the Recent Posts menu (which is a pull down menu on the left side beneath Forum; both locations have a lot of information about the use of antiX; Marcelo’s links should make this convenient to access –
                                https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/seja-bem-vindo-a-ao-antix-linux-e-ao-forum-antix-19-21-e-22/

--
                                Brian Masinick

entropyagent

To paraphrase the famous hardware engineer Leo Tolstoy:
                                  “All happy keyboards are alike: each unhappy keyboard is unhappy in it’s own way”

That uniqueness will probably make remote debugging quite difficult.

It’s still a faint possibility that after the bios hands over to grub, the kb wakes up to interpret one or some or all of those nonfunctioning keys as being pressed.

Does the lappy boot if you “unplug” the kb? Sometimes it’s “just” a ribbon cable. Or, of course it could have come unplugged, and need reseating?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.