New operating system for old win XP machine

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX New operating system for old win XP machine

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 13-9:53 pm by SUPERFITTER.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have an old emachine that was dual booted with windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04. It still runs, but no updates obviously. I’m looking for a linux operating system that will run on a windows XP built in 2003. I want to wipe the drive and install a new system. Is this still possible?

Specs: Processor 2Ghz AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 1152 mb Ram, 52.82 Gb Hard drive, x86

I see that are multiple versions of your system: https://mirror.genesisadaptive.com/mxlinux-iso/ANTIX/Final/antiX-19/
    which one should I use for my machine?

Thank You

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by SUPERFITTER.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Welcome to antiX.

It really depends what you expect your old and limited emachine to do.

Try the 32 bit version since it needs less RAM and CPU power to run.
    Running it ‘live’ from a cd/dvd will be slow.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Welcome!

This is most definitely possible! I have several old computers with less power than yours running antiX 32-bit.

I would suggest you try the “Base” versions since they still fit on a CD. If you can boot from USB then maybe the “Full” version will work for you. The Base version does not have LibreOffice, Synaptic, and few other other things. But you can install whatever you want after you get it installed. The Full version has it all in there already.

I would try version 19 Base in 32-bit, I also still run versions 17 and 16, Sometimes the video works better on one version or the other. Start with 19. I have had good results with it.

Seaken64

And yes, it does depend on what you want to do with the old computer. Browsing the internet is very difficult these days. But there are tools to work around the typical “browser” issues. I can watch Youtube and browse websites (with various tools in place to block scripts, etc.) on an old Pentium-III with 512MB of RAM. Or, I can listen to music while reading text files, all in a text based interface (not everyone’s cup-o-tea).

antiX can do it all. But it’s a lot harder than using Ubuntu or MX.

Seaken64

I have an old emachine that was dual booted with windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04. It still runs, but no updates obviously. I’m looking for a linux operating system that will run on a windows XP built in 2003. I want to wipe the drive and install a new system. Is this still possible?

Specs: Processor 2Ghz AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 1152 mb Ram, 52.82 Gb Hard drive, x86

I infer from your specs that your eMachine is probably D620. This would be one with curved keyboard…
    If so then it is still a capable 64 bit machine but considering you have about 1GB memory I concur with others that you will have better experience running antiX 32 bit. Others may disagree but from my experience you can easily run antiX Live from USB or install to hard drive as Frugal. I believe Frugal will be faster than installed and will mitigate your relatively slow disk speed.
    Again, this is from my subjective experience as I have not done actual benchmarks…

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

hi SUPPERFITTER,

I agree with others that the best fit is base-32-bit. You can still run palemoon-nonsse-32-bit
    reasonable well for a web browser, abiword as a word processor if geany editor
    doesn’t cut it as my pressario 2200 – 1.4ghz-512mb ram can. Your big concern might be the
    video drivers as you didn’t post ( inxi -Fxz ) specs from a live base or full run — I don’t
    know your other hardware for further comments.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by linuxdaddy.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

I tried antix, but it would only load so far and then it found an error. I tried xubuntu and it loaded on my computer.

Thank you for the help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.