New User seeking help with Install

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions New User seeking help with Install

• This topic has 40 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Oct 8-2:52 am by Regulus22.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Regulus22

Greetings, I have been wanting to learn Linux, I have never been keen on Mac and havnt loved windows since XP lost support. I settled on Antix because I have an old laptop running win7 32 bit and a gig of ram. Its slow. When I attempted creating a usb thumbdrive using Rufus, I was unable to do so with a iso image because of grub and ssl issues, but it did work as a dd or disk image. I want to install to the hard drive and not have windows at all. and as a linux disk image, windows doesnt see it in explorer and so I cant even copy the iso file to a partition. Do I need to get a second thumbdrive to be able to have a bootable iso image made using Antix, or is there another simple way that Im not comprehending yet?
      Also, I cant figure out how to mount the hard drive and access files from the live thumbdrive, it says something about error 2, 88, I cant recall exactly but I seem to remember accessing the c drive while trying out another linux on a pc I had a few years back. Any help is very much appreciated

marcelocripe

Hello Regulus22.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Portuguese language text in Brazil directly into your language with the help of internet translators that you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

marcelocripe
        (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá Regulus22.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Caso o seu idioma nativo não seja o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em idioma Português do Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

marcelocripe
        (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

marcelocripe

If you are able to understand my machine translation text, then you will be able to understand the tutorial I made if you use machine translation from my language to your language.

How to Create Bootable USB Device Using Ventoy

– – – – –

Se você é capaz de compreender o meu texto da tradução automática, então, você será capaz de compreender o tutorial que eu fiz se utilizar a tradução automática do meu idioma para o seu idioma.

Como Criar Dispositivo USB Inicializável Usando o Ventoy

punranger

Check out the video in my signature on creating a USB and installing from it, maybe you can get some tips from it. The video is on antiX 21, but the method should be the same.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

Regulus22

Thank you for your input. As it turns out, the solution looks like it’s been on the antix desktop all along. I was thinking I had to get an iOS imaged or copied to the thumbdrive in order to install to the internal drive. I was ignoring the icon on the desktop labeled “installer”, I guess I was thinking it was for installing apps or software, but finally I checked, and I suspect that what I need to do is swap in the drive I will be using, and give it a shot.

I’m not a complete idiot…there are a couple parts of me missing

marcelocripe

I was ignoring the icon on the desktop labeled “installer”, I guess I was thinking it was for installing apps or software, but finally I checked, and I suspect that what I need to do is swap in the drive I will be using, and give it a shot.

It’s not your fault if you don’t immediately understand what the “installer” does. What does the “installer” do? If it’s not written down, how can anyone guess what will be installed?
                When adapting the translation from Brazilian Portuguese, instead of “installer” it displays “AntiX Installer”, because I was the one who included this information, otherwise Brazilians would have the same difficulty as you had. Sentences must be complete so as not to be ambiguous or misinterpreted.

– – – – –

I was ignoring the icon on the desktop labeled “installer”, I guess I was thinking it was for installing apps or software, but finally I checked, and I suspect that what I need to do is swap in the drive I will be using, and give it a shot.

Você não tem culpa de não entender imediatamente o que o “installer” faz. O “installer” faz o quê? Se não está escrito, como alguém poderá adivinhar o que será instalado?
                Na adaptação da tradução do idioma Português do Brasil, no lugar de “installer” exibe “Instalador do antiX”, porque fui eu que incluí esta informação, caso contrário, os brasileiros teriam a mesma dificuldade que você teve. As frases precisam estar completas para não serem ambíguas ou mal interpretadas.

PPC

@marcelocripe – It did not even came to me that antiX could have that problem… In pt, the desktop icon just reads “install”- in this particular case, I do think you are just clarifying what something does, using just one extra word.
                  Strangely enough, I was the one that suggests MX-Fluxbox to change the desktop’s “install” icon to “Install MX” because someone said, on their forum that they did not know what that icon installed…
                  You would do me a favor if you change also the pt localization to “instalar antiX” (I have no idea where to make that change).

In case you watch DistroTube’s youtube review on antiX-23, you’ll notice that someone, that really, really know Linux, did not find out what app-select does (because it’s english menu entry just says “app select”, and not “search for applications”, like the pt localization says).

I also suggest that app-select’s menu entry in antiX-23 should also state in a short way that it also manages application quicklaunchers. Adding a little more description to stuff on the first layer of the menu has a nice side effect- it makes the menu a bit wider, so it does not seem to tall and busy.
                  Ideally I would suggest adding more generic entries to the top of the default menu – I could swear that it used to have a “E-mail” entry. If space was not a problem, I would say that every single system app (I mean the ones we can configure in Control Centre- like File Manager, Terminal, Web Browser, etc) should be available in the menu, for one very simple reason – it would make it easier for users to perform basic tasks, like using e-mail, watching video, etc, without the need to know how the application that does that is called.
                  Maybe having those generic app names pinned by default in the “Personal menu”? There are generic .desktop entries (that run the system default application for that function) for File Manager, Web Browser, Audio Player, Video Player… The default icewm menu, on the first layer, provides icons for 4 (of the 8 available) system apps. E-mail client, video player, audio player and image video generic entries are not available from the menu (and I could not find “e-mail”‘s .desktop file). Having all that directly in the menu would be overkill, but maybe on the Personal Menu, it could be helpful for newbies, to get them going with antiX’s apps- I’ll suggest that on the proper place, in the future…

P.

marcelocripe

You would do me a favor if you change also the pt localization to “instalar antiX” (I have no idea where to make that change).

I clearly remember making these translations together with Zeh and sending them to anticapitalista when the private message here on the forum was still working.

I searched and found these files: http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/translations-desktop-file/po/gazelle-installer-desktop_pt_BR.po?ref_type=heads and http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/translations-desktop-file/po/gazelle-installer-desktop_pt.po?ref_type=heads.

If the “minstall.desktop” is the “.desktop” file that displays the main menu and shortcut icon text on the desktop, I wonder why an MX Linux feature is “intruding” on antiX?

Look at the mess that would occur in antiX in language “pt_BR”: “MX Linux Installer”.
                    http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/minstall.desktop?ref_type=heads

I think anticapitalista used our “.desktop” files which are at http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/antix23-desktop-file/-/tree/main/applications?ref_type=heads, but “minstall .desktop” is not in this file list.

I found this http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/minstall.desktop?ref_type=heads

I think it’s this “.desktop” file, I can’t confirm this right now, but if you have the time to check with a LiveUSB, you can be sure of the “.desktop” file.

I hope this will help you.

– – – – –

Eu me lembro bem de ter feito estas traduções junto com o Zeh e de ter enviado para o anticapitalista quando a mensagem particular daqui do fórum ainda funcionava.

Eu pesquisei e encontrei estes arquivos: http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/translations-desktop-file/po/gazelle-installer-desktop_pt_BR.po?ref_type=heads e http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/translations-desktop-file/po/gazelle-installer-desktop_pt.po?ref_type=heads.

Se o “minstall.desktop” for o arquivo “.desktop” que exibe o texto do menu principal e do ícone de atalho na área de trabalho, eu me pergunto porque um recurso do MX Linux está se “intrometendo” no antiX?

Olha a bagunça que iria ocorrer no antiX em idioma “pt_BR”: “Instalador do MX Linux”.
                    http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/minstall.desktop?ref_type=heads

Eu acho que o anticapitalista utilizou o nossos arquivos “.desktop” que estão no http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/antix23-desktop-file/-/tree/main/applications?ref_type=heads, mas o “minstall.desktop” não está nesta relação de arquivos.

Eu encontrei este http://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/-/blob/master/minstall.desktop?ref_type=heads

Eu acho que é este arquivo “.desktop”, eu não tenho como confirmar isso agora, mas se você tiver disponibilidade de tempo de verificar com um LiveUSB, você poderá ter certeza do arquivo “.desktop”.

Eu espero que isso te ajude.

Regulus22

So have I helped the product improvement team with my first query here? Nice :)

I am still working on this install, as time and inclination allow. Here is an update of what I have found, I think first thing tho is better clarity about what Im working with. An Acer Laptop with a 32 bit intel atom cpu and 1 gig ram. A memory card reader, no optical. Windows 7 on the 150 gb sata, 139 gigs used, and wanting to not lose a lot of my documents and pictures etc that is on it. This is currently my only pc along with a couple android devices. I am using this laptop to reply at this time, booted off the thumb-drive that I have the AntiX 23 installed on, and learning what I can just through its use.

The drive I had intended to use doesn’t look like its going to work at this time because I have no way to format or prep it to be recognized, tho I am candidly aware that there are most certainly a multitude of things lacking in my knowledge base. So what I have done now is to create a partition from the little bit of space still available on the current internal drive, and now have a 10 gb partition formatted ntsf. (EDIT I just found more info and see that my format needs corrected and is now ext3. lets see if that changes things some)

I then tried the installer and got about three panels in to where it asks to choose partitions, an d this is where I need to get things better understood in my head about linux. I know I need a “home” and that I will want persistence. But I have a run away brain that struggles with focus especially after experiencing a minor stroke and trauma a few years back. I enjoy learning and and not asking to sidestep that aspect of my endeavor, but if someone can direct me to where I can find the next steps or explain what I need to do along with the why, I would appreciate it greatly.

So with that, tag, your it…

“The only thing I know for sure is that I don’t know”

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Regulus22.
                      Stéphane Ascoët

I don’t understand well your sentences but if I understand well, you want to keep some data stored on this computer. For this you need to save them on another drive before doing anything. It’s a miracle that you haven’t lost anything at this point, since it seems that you should ask help to one of your local “Linux user group”

Regulus22

Yes Stephane I have data on the drive that I wish to keep. I would copy it to another drive, if I could but at this time I dont have that capability.
                          Because it is old, it is impossibly slow or non functional, hence my reason for wanting to run AntiX. I believe what Im needing to do is to install the AntiX alongside Windows in a dual boot configuration, and have a 10 gb partition formatted ext3 ready. What I am now trying to comprehend is the method and reasoning for properly setting my home, swap, and persistence. Once this is done then I will be ready to learn commands, terms, etc.
                          Please know I am reading through the forum posts and self educating as I can.

marcelocripe

So have I helped the product improvement team with my first query here? Nice ????

What you helped with was making the PPC paying attention to the translation from the Portuguese language or “pt”.
                            Regarding the English or “en” language, only native speakers of this language should make improvements and corrections to the texts.

An Acer Laptop with a 32 bit intel atom cpu and 1 gig ram. A memory card reader, no optical. Windows 7 on the 150 gb sata, 139 gigs used, and wanting to not lose a lot of my documents and pictures etc that is on it.

I can give you the paths and you will need to learn how to do it, consulting tutorials, videos and texts on the Internet.

1 – Start your laptop with Windows and copy all your data to a USB device.
                            2 – After backing up your data, check that disk C: has up to 30 GB of space, ideally you should have 40 GB free.
                            3 – If you don’t have 30 to 40 GB of free space, you will have to delete some of your data or uninstall some Windows 7 programs until you get free space.
                            4 – Search the internet for how to resize a partition in Windows 7 or see Microsoft Support: How to re-partition without destroying the data? (it was the best tutorial I could find in English).
                            5 – Create the new partition with the NTFS format in Windows, then you can reformat this partition to ext4 with antiX.
                            6 – Start with antiX 23 full 32 bits.
                            7 – Click on the “install” shortcut icon.
                            8 – Keep the option checked for “personalize the disk”.
                            9 – Click on the gray icon below the curved blue arrow to open GParted, reformat the partition that is in NTFS format to ext4 and install antiX on this partition.
                            10 – On the next installer screen, you will select only the ” / ” on the 30 or 40 GB partition that you reformatted to ext4.

You will need to go through each of the items above and whenever you have questions, you will have to research how to do each of the items.

As we do not know your native language, we are unable to recommend tutorials in your language.

– – – – –

So have I helped the product improvement team with my first query here? Nice ????

O que você ajudou, foi fazer o PPC se atentar a tradução do idioma Português ou “pt”.
                            No tocante ao idioma Inglês ou “en”, só ops nativos deste idioma devem fazer as melhorias e correções nos textos.

An Acer Laptop with a 32 bit intel atom cpu and 1 gig ram. A memory card reader, no optical. Windows 7 on the 150 gb sata, 139 gigs used, and wanting to not lose a lot of my documents and pictures etc that is on it.

Eu posso te dar os caminhos e você precisará aprender como fazer, consultando tutoriais com, vídeos e textos na Internet.

1 – Inicie o laptop com o Windows e copie todos os seus dados para um dispositivo USB.
                            2 – Após fazer a cópia de segurança dos seus dados, verifique se o disco C: possui espaço de até 30 GB, o ideal seria ter 40 GB livres.
                            3 – Se não houver de 30 a 40 GB de espaço livre, você terá que apagar alguns dos seus dados ou desinstalar alguns programas do Windows 7 até conseguir espaço livre.
                            4 – Pesquise na internet como redimensionar uma partição no Windows 7 ou consulte Microsoft Support: How to re-partition without destroying the data? (foi o melhor tutorial que eu consegui encontrar em idioma Inglês).
                            5 – Crie a nova partição com o formato NTFS no Windows, depois você poderá reformatar esta partição para ext4 com o antiX.
                            6 – Inicie com o antiX 23 full de 32 bits.
                            7 – Clique no ícone de atalho “instalar”.
                            8 – Mantenha a opção marcada para “personalizar o disco”.
                            9 – Clique no ícone cinza que fica embaixo da seta curva em cor azul para abrir o GParted, reformate a partição que está no formato NTFS para ext4 e instale o antiX nesta partição.
                            10 – Na próxima tela do instalador, você irá selecionar apenas a ” / ” na partição de 30 ou 40 GB que você reformatou para ext4.

Você precisará passar por cada um dos itens acima e sempre que tiver dúvidas, terá que pesquisar como fazer cada um dos itens.

Como não sabemos o seu idioma natal, não temos como indicar tutoriais em seu idioma.

Regulus22

“As we do not know your native language, we are unable to recommend tutorials in your language.”

I am with even greater appreciation after learning that you are striving to help me while translating as you do so. My native language is English, US. I am currently studying CORRECT-SENTENCE-STRUCTURE-COMMUNICATION-PARSE-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR language. If any of you are familiar with what that is?.. :)
                              So most everyone here is Portuguese? Have I somehow overlooked a language selection window as I registered? It not a big deal to me, if you all want to see how much you can teach this old guy about this AntiX stuff.

“1 – Start your laptop with Windows and copy all your data to a USB device.
                              (If I could I would, right now I do not have anything to copy to.)

2 – After backing up your data, check that disk C: has up to 30 GB of space, ideally you should have 40 GB free.
                              3 – If you don’t have 30 to 40 GB of free space, you will have to delete some of your data or uninstall some Windows 7 programs until you get free space.

(I dont know if I can clear that much space. Maybe. I found 12 gb of free space and created a 10 gb partition from that. I will dig deeper. Perhaps once there is AntiX on the c drive that I can boot from, then I could delete windows files and programs until there is room enough to make another fresh partition to copy my data to, and then resize one or both of the partitions? )

4 – Search the internet for how to resize a partition in Windows 7 or see Microsoft Support: How to re-partition without destroying the data? (it was the best tutorial I could find in English).

(I am able to partition windows both with its native disk management, as well as with Hirens Boot Disk which has many built in tools for anything I could require)

5 – Create the new partition with the NTFS format in Windows, then you can reformat this partition to ext4 with antiX.
                              (Ok, I will remember to format to ext4)
                              6 – Start with antiX 23 full 32 bits.
                              (This is what I have on my thumb drive now)
                              7 – Click on the “install” shortcut icon.
                              8 – Keep the option checked for “personalize the disk”.
                              9 – Click on the gray icon below the curved blue arrow to open GParted, reformat the partition that is in NTFS format to ext4 and install antiX on this partition.
                              10 – On the next installer screen, you will select only the ” / ” on the 30 or 40 GB partition that you reformatted to ext4.

(Will I find information about size and location options for the home folder, and will I need a swap file since I have only 1 gig of ram? Is persistence automatic with a home folder?)

Many appreciations

mcpderez

Given your storage challenges, you might consider just running from the Live USB while you learn. You should be able to set up persistence on it.

It sounds like your hardware is something like an Acer Aspire One. We may be better able to help you if you post the results of running inxi -Fxz in a Terminal (place the results in a CODE block for better readability).

This community has contributors from all around the globe. You just happened to get a few Portuguese speakers, but there are many native US English speakers here too (I’m one).

teto

Buenas noches instale el programa en una laptop lenovox41 y me no tengo acceso a internet y dice conectado a mi red mediante cable a mi Reuter que puedo hacer

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by teto.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.