new user

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Aug 16-10:54 pm by kschewe.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi
    Which version should I try for very old laptop 160 megs ram p2 266.
    I tried the core of the lastest version and I could not get to start
    I think it might be related to video driver. its a chips 65555
    I am able to run pup linux 4.3 but newer not much luck

thanks

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Core is probably correct with the newer versions and build up from there. I cannot recall exactly but I seem to recall previous discussions about the default kernel where it was labeled one but was another. Either it was labeled 386, but was actually 486… but it could be labeled 486 but is actually 686… which would make booting a new copy of core quite difficult. Good chance this is a long past stagnant memory but perhaps someone could clarify.

However maybe some more clarification on what you have going on could be helpful?

At what point does it “not start”? Do you get a boot menu? Is it just nothing past the bios? Are you running it off a cd? Perhaps from a copy of the iso to the hard drive? Several floppies? Etc?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

fatmacfatmac

I think it may be lack of ram, see this…

About antiX

I’m not sure if creating a swap partition before trying to install it will help, or not, but I’d give it a try.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Thanks for the quick responses
    I did try the base install today. I am able to install successfully.
    I have a 6gb partition for the base and a 2gb linux swap partition
    When I try and startup the os I am not successful
    I did the autologin at setup and picked the default windows manager.
    It wants to startup and I see the screen flash, which is a sign of it changing resolutions or not properly setup video card or monitor specs.
    I do not think it sets up my 800×600 chips 65000 hardware.
    I pick the 800×600 in setup but I think that only applies to the shell and not the windows manager. I have a few other linux, puppy installed so I can possibly edit a config file or something?

I try plug in external monitor and I can switch back and forth and see an unusable garbled screen on my tv

Is there something similar like xorgwizard that can be run from command line to probe and tweak the video settings?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by kschewe.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by kschewe.

i am able to get into desktop. What i did is add or change to grub vga=788. The live disc makes the value of vga=normal. Even though you can select 800×600 on the live setup it goes to a different resolution when it starts the windows manager. It works for me and I will test it more. At the moment it was core install with min desktop. Takes 48 megs of ram. I will try the full iso and will update.

If it has more memory slots, post the info in case I have chips in my spares. You can have if free for the shipping if I do.

If you are trying to run the x-windows use the function key at flashdrive boot or F1 at login or change it via Desktops menu to one of the min- desktops to conserve memory.

Thanks for the kind offer. I am maxed out on ram 160 is all the good old p2 266 will take on this toshiba laptop. It was hard to find pc66 ram. I had to order ebay from Europe to Canada. I am just doing it for fun. I replaced the old 4.3 hard drive with a msata 120ssd to ide. The laptop mulitboots windows 95, me, xp lite. puppy linux 4.3 kde, puppy arcade 11, antix. Been playing with many linux versions. So far Puppy 4.3 kde runs the best. Its super fast, probably ssd helps. One would never know it is over 20 years old.
    So far a few issues with anitx. The resolution 800×600. Many apps will not run properly and Even in antix trying to setup my usb to ethernet will not work at that res in sudo. I will have to plug in external monitor for setup. I will install full version of antix before I give my final review to see who wins the linux battle this old beast.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Thanks for the kind offer. So far Puppy 4.3 kde runs the best. Its super fast, probably ssd helps. One would never know it is over 20 years old.
    So far a few issues with anitx. The resolution 800×600. Many apps will not run properly and Even in antix trying to setup my usb to ethernet will not work at that res in sudo. I will have to plug in external monitor for setup. I will install full version of antix before I give my final review to see who wins the linux battle this old beast.

When was Puppy 4.3 kde released? You should compare it with an antiX release of the same period.

FWI – I don’t think you’ll have much luck using a modern antiX version on that hardware.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

You are correct. I cannot compare pup 4.3 vs antiX since its not fair, Pup 4.3 is old os. I do give credit to antiX that it runs on a p2 computer. I will experiment with the full iso. I know its not really practical but good experiment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.