No hardware acceleration after nvidia driver install

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” No hardware acceleration after nvidia driver install

Tagged: 

• This topic has 40 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 14-7:02 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    caprea

Took out my laptop with a nvidia-card which uses the same driver as yours,340-legacy.
      On antiX21 the right driver can be installed with the software from control-centre.
      The homemade 340-legacy driver for the bullseye-repos works here flawlessly, many thanks to the devs.
      So it seems that the errors you see are really related to your specific hardware.

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nvidia note: n/a (using device driver) unloaded: fbdev 
                 resolution: 1280x800 s-dpi: 96 
                 OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A direct render: N/A 

I have never seen before
      driver: loaded: nvidia note: n/a (using device driver)

We could look in /var/log/Xorg.O.log if there are might hints.Also in the /var/log/ddm.log
      But anyway it seems to have always been not uncomplicated to get the nvidia-graphics working on a MacBook7,1.
      So much for antiX21.

On antiX19 it seems there is a general problem with the nvidia-installer, I see the same problems like you and already opened a new thread.You can wait till it’s fixed or stick with nouveau if it gives a reasonable result.

blackwood

>So it seems that the errors you see are really related to your specific hardware.

does this mean, i can’t get help in this forum? (not trying to be sarcastic, genuine question)

otherwise antix 19 and nouveau seem to work fine so far, although i feel cpu is overheating, so i guess i’ll just wait and hope for nvidia-installer to be fixed

I tried installing 340-legacy using smxi, i got an xorg error on launch, but managed to revert to nouveau driver from smxi, do you want me to share what’s in /var/log/Xorg.O.log and /var/log/ddm.log?

thank you so much for helping, situation is much better now with antix19 anyway.

Anonymous

Another thing you can do find which driver the kernel is using, run the below command and look at VGA compatible controller line. amdgpu is what i want see yours would be nvidia something.

lspci -nnk | grep -i -EA3 “3d|display|vga”

02:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset USB 3.1 XHCI Controller [1022:43d5] (rev 01)
          Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. 400 Series Chipset USB 3.1 XHCI Controller [1b21:1142]
          Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
          Kernel modules: xhci_pci

09:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] [1002:731f] (rev ca)
          Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Radeon RX 5600 XT [1da2:e411]
          Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
          Kernel modules: amdgpu

blackwood

$ lspci -nnk | grep -i -EA3 “3d | display | vga”
            02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 [GeForce 320M] [10de:08a0] (rev a2)
            Subsystem: Apple Inc. MCP89 [GeForce 320M] [106b:00ce]
            Kernel driver in use: nouveau
            Kernel modules: nouveau

Anonymous

As you see your running the nouveau driver. I really hope this is fixed for you.

blackwood

everything seems to be working fine apart from some heating issue that might not be necessarily drive related

i found this way for installing the legacy proprietary driver Black screen fix (EFI mode) http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple/MacBookPro/7-1#GPU_.2F_Nvidia_Geforce_320M

is there any benefit to trying the legacy driver instead of nouveau?

blackwood

managed to install nvidia driver instead of nouveau using ctrl alt f1 to exit x, log as root and ddm-mx -p nvidia to uninstall drivers, then smxi and install nvidia drivers

but before i had to follow the instructions i just linked above

finally!

thanks everyone, and i hope this helps others out there

$ lspci -nnk | grep -i -EA3 “3d | display | vga”
                  02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 [GeForce 320M] [10de:08a0] (rev a2)
                  Subsystem: Apple Inc. MCP89 [GeForce 320M] [106b:00ce]
                  Kernel driver in use: nvidia
                  Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by blackwood.
                  caprea

This is great news! Just for interest, does it help with the overheating?

blackwood

unsure, i just installed mpbfan and manually change the minimum fan speed when needed

however i now don’t have access to backlight brightness anymore again 🙁

not sure which driver is better at this point… any thoughts?

blackwood

> however i now don’t have access to backlight brightness anymore again

found a fix for this here http://askubuntu.com/questions/76081/brightness-not-working-after-installing-nvidia-driver

and just using xbacklight from terminal after

Anonymous

Well Done blackwood Happy days. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.