No keyboaard in X after Sid upgrade today

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders No keyboaard in X after Sid upgrade today

• This topic has 16 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jul 29-11:25 am by ile.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

Upgraded 38 packages and installed one new one (automatic) from command line.

Then started X in my usual fashion. Launched apparently normally and applications worked as apparently normal.

BUT, my keyboard no longer works in X!

Since one package was new (libcodec2-1.1), I simulated its removal. Too many things were to be removed.

I wonder if any other Sid user has had a problem with this upgrade.

Appreciate any thoughts on likely culprits…

stevesr0

• This topic was modified 9 months ago by caprea.
      • This topic was modified 9 months ago by caprea.
      • This topic was modified 9 months ago by caprea. Reason: moved from "New Users" to "Sid Upgraders"
      Xunzi_23

SID USERS WAIT The problem hit me too.

Seems we will have to boot to console and update from there

when a fix is known

Anyone running live who did a remaster can use the rollback command at boot
        to get back to previously working setup

olsztyn

Appreciate any thoughts on likely culprits…

The culprit appears to be libgudev-1.0-0 version 238-2.
          Suggest just skip upgrading this one.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

RJP

Usually keyboard issues are coming as a result of an incompatible kernel. Older kernel can work.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

This is not to do with the kernel.
              This seems to be what has happened

http://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2023/07/08/372/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

I doubt Debian will fix this so antiX sid and testing users should use apt-mark to stop the update

# apt-mark hold libgudev-1.0-0

If you have already updated, then you will need to downgrade 3 debs for your arch (64/32bit)

Get debs here:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/

I used chroot-rescue-scan to chroot and install the debs.
                Once the debs are installed, make sure to hold them as shown above.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista, olsztyn and Xunzi_23,

Thanks all. The downgrade solved the issue for me.

I just downgraded with the one .deb (libgudev-1.0-0_237-2_amd64.deb) from the command line, started X and the keyboard is working (without reboot).

Happy to install the other two .debs, but curious about the need for three to replace one.

Apparently if the dev version is desired (libgudev-1.0-dev_237-2_amd64.deb), then the gir1.2_gudev-1.0_237-2_amd64.deb must be installed.

(A nondeveloper might get by with just the downgrading to the libgudev-1.0-0_237-2_amd64.deb?)

Anyhow, as a perennial noobie, I followed instructions <g>.

So, should this be considered “solved” or Temporary fix”?

stevesr0

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

Debian upstream has deliberately gone ahead to update libgudev-1.0-0 to 238 series that breaks any Debian based distro not using udev and systemd.

Downgrading is a temporary antiX fix.
                    Debian will do nothing to fix this as they will argue that Debian uses udev not eudev, systemd over other inits.

Long-term fix – I’m not sure how to handle this.

Luckily this will not affect antiX-23 release.

As you know, sid is volatile.

stevesr0

UPDATE: No problem–my fault. To get the the downgrade packages onto this system, I transferred them from another system using a usb and forgot to remove it. Since it wasn’t bootable and was listed first in the BIOS, the system didn’t go anywhere.

Aargh a noobie error.

SORRY ALL.

stevesro

P.S. Working fine apparently after unplugging the USB and booting.

———————————————————-

Hi anticapitalista,

anticapitalista said, As you know, sid is volatile.

Yup. After today’s upgrade and the downgrade of the three packages, things went wonky. Now I boot to a blinking hyphen instead of grub. Aargh!

I wonder if any other Siddites have had this happen.

Otherwise, suggestions for fixing always appreciated.

Tomorrow, I will use a live USB to check the /var/log/apt/history.log file and maybe try to identify which new packages might be causing a problem.

Otherwise, I will consider grub rescue or other things to get grub back.

Perhaps unrelated to previous problem…not sure.

Thankfully, not my only system <g>.

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by stevesr0.
                      Xunzi_23

So much for the recent Debian Statement of support for alternative init systems.

My SID which started as antiX21 seems non fixable, at least for me.

Will move to antiX23, the Beta is running fine.

Just in case should I also apt-mark hold libgudev-1.0-0 in antiX 23
                        My trust in Debian is reaching a new low.

olsztyn

I just downgraded with the one .deb (libgudev-1.0-0_237-2_amd64.deb) from the command line, started X and the keyboard is working (without reboot).
                          Happy to install the other two .debs, but curious about the need for three to replace one.
                          Apparently if the dev version is desired (libgudev-1.0-dev_237-2_amd64.deb), then the gir1.2_gudev-1.0_237-2_amd64.deb must be installed.

I do not have the other two packages (the ones mentioned by anticapitalista) installed at all. No idea why anticapitalista mentioned them, perhaps just in development environment as you mentioned. In my install only libgudev-1.0-0 is installed and it must not be upgraded from version 237 to version 238 or issues will result.
                          antiX is perfectly fine with version 237 with no such two additional packages.

After today’s upgrade and the downgrade of the three packages, things went wonky. Now I boot to a blinking hyphen instead of grub. Aargh!
                          I wonder if any other Siddites have had this happen.

I do not experience any such malfunction. However I have not upgraded libgudev-1.0-0 to version 238 in the first place, so there was no need to back it out. Perhaps something went wrong in the back-out process to cause such malfunction?
                          In general I do agree that SID might happen to be volatile if upgrades are performed across the board, such as using apt upgrade, and this would be a good example of such volatility. In my case (selective upgrade) the culprit has been identified very quickly and rebooting with Rollback command brought back version 237, to allow upgrade of the rest, skipping upgrade of libgudev-1.0-0 altogether.
                          This was a massive upgrade, many new antiX specific modules from anticapitalista. I do not know if they will be included in the final of antiX 23 or they go beyond antiX 23 release. But in any case I am glad that anticapitalista continues to put lots of work into antiX enhancements…
                          Thank you anticapitalista…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

Just in case should I also apt-mark hold libgudev-1.0-0 in antiX 23

It should not be necessary since Debian policy is not to upgraded such libs within a release.
                            But, how much can we trust Debian nowadays to keep to its policies?

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

I have re-packaged libgudev 238 and added an antix suffix and a huge version update (libgudev_238-100~antix1).
                              These will be added to sid/testing repos once I know the debs work and people have keyboard and mouse working.

Firstly, remove any held packages

# apt-mark unhold libgudev-1.0-0

Install the debs for your arch from here or wait until they appear in the repos.

Most users will probably only need the libgudev-1.0-0 deb

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

For those that care, debian bug report and response.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1041703

Xunzi_23

Thank you anticapitalista. seems the problems could have been mitigated had communication between debian
                                  and downstream worked, or even existed ?.

My install was/is non recoverable. The base system running fine but have not been able to reactivate mouse
                                  and keyboard. Both on USB. .

Now rebased sid on a fresh download of 23 Beta, running live is about as fast as installed to SSD so may
                                  stick with running sid that way. I have two mirrored sticks so an uncomplicated back up solution.
                                  As long as I keep both up to date and remastered that is :-).

Thanks to the excellent, clone a running live system tool in USB creator plus remaster live tool,
                                  easy and efficient.

Some persons I support get antiX 23 which I also have on two fast San Disk sticks.
                                  sid is on Transcend sticks which have proven poor in reliability due controller issues.
                                  Needed online repair several times. That updates controller software. Sad, the sticks were not cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.