Normal boot and frozen desktop

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Normal boot and frozen desktop

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Girafenaine Apr 11-12:01 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Girafenaine

Hello,

I installed Antix 17.3.1 32bits, stable repos, on a USB flash drive. It used to run well on my home computer (Macbook 5.1) and my office computer (Toshiba laptop) as well.

Yesterday I made a few cleaning tasks :
    – I manually installed fontconfig-config and libfontconfig1 in their 2.11.0-6.7 version (stable version). They both were on a 2.13.1-2 version I found on the testing repo a month ago, in order to have palemoon browser to work. Since this successful try, palemoon has been updated and does not need 2.13.1 version anymore. So I downloaded the stable version from debian sites and install them with dpkg-i. This manual downgrading seemed to work well.
    – I ran apt autoremove
    – I installed policykit-1-gnome, trying to have an app working (it was boot-repair-pkexec from “yann ubuntu”, and pkexec was not happy with my “policykit agent” and does not let me start the app, so I wanted to try another). I guess this was perhaps an error to try this…
    – I fully uninstalled some packages that were uninstalled, but that had left config files (firefox and a few more).

Today on my office laptop, Antix boots and the whole process seems normal, the desktop (icewm-spacefm) is displayed with a mouse pointer in the middle of it, but… I cannot interact with the desktop. No keystroke nor mouse mouvement is able to get something from antiX. I can see my conky working and telling some processes are running peacefully (xorg, kworker, kupfer…), so it is a matter of interactions (mouse and keyboard). Ctrl+alt+delete does not work. I have to force shutdown.

I tried to boot with some different options : xorg=safe, nomodeset, acpi=off, but it results in the same frozen destkop.

Can anyone give me a hand ? I have no idea how to get antiX to work with such a frozen desktop. I would like to give a try to uninstall policykit-1-gnome, but I don’t know how to boot to be able to do that.

Girafenaine

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Make sure consolekit is installed (needed for slim login manager)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Girafenaine

Hello Anticapitalista,

Thanks for your quick reply.

As the desktop is displayed, I guess slim let me login (auto-login is enabled). And I did not deinstall consolekit. It looks like the login is OK, the desktop starts and then one of the process dealing with mouse and keyboard does not start. The other processes run normally, and no one eats more than 1% CPU, as conky shows to me.

Is there a way to boot in command line, to be able to launch cc-cli ? So I could manage package.

(I can boot and have a normal desktop by deactivating root-persist option. So the issue is in the rootfs file, and probably an effect of my last package management actions. I would like to correct this, without having to restore all my last changes with a new rootfs)

Girafenaine

caprea
    caprea

If I remember correctly, you can on a live-usb
    type 3 in the boot-options box on the boot-screen.
    This will get you to a console.

I’ve just seen it’s maybe not live, then you have to type the letter e on bootscreen.
    You will come to a screen where you search for the line that starts with linux
    At the end of this line type 3
    Press F10 afterwards.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by caprea.
    Girafenaine

Hello,

Thank you for this ! (it could be useful to have a clearer boot option than “3” to have a command line antix ?)

I could enter my “frozen desktop” antiX with this command line option. But with root persistence enabled, the network does not work and I can’t use cli-aptix to manage package. I apt removed policykit-1-gnome without any change. And don’t remember having installed another package recently. Without root persistence, I can connect to network, but… I cannot modify my rootfs file.

So I think I will erase the corrupted rootfs file, and go with a new one. I am no satisfied since I don’t know what have frozen the desktop… If anyone has another idea to explore, I will be pleased to try something else.

Girafenaine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.