Not a platform for private Missionary mails

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Not a platform for private Missionary mails

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Nov 29-5:34 am by sybok.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Today I blocked a fellow Forum Member from sending me Private mails,

in my opinion, which is posted her in a very mild form to avoid being banned….

SENDING MISSIONING PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION TO DO SO IS

GROSS FORUM MISUSE AND PRIVACY INTRUSION.

Postings of same patronising missioning style in a RIP thread for skidoo were
      found offensive by local users with other beliefs.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by ModdIt.
      • This topic was modified 2 months ago by ModdIt.
      seaken64
        Helpful
        Up
        ::

I would just block them. And you have to expect some posts will not match up with your own beliefs. Again, just ignore them. Most of the time it is just someone not thinking about offending you or anyone, even though that ends up being the result.

If someone is abusing your personal “space” you can bring it the moderators attention.

Seaken64

techore
          Helpful
          Up

@seaken64, agreed.

@Moddit, sorry to hear about the incident. Hang in there.

My general policy is to ignore self-absorbed, selfish, or entitled persons on first offense, notify on the second offense, then block or ban on the third offense. It is all about using my time and energy constructively and being tolerant by giving folks the benefit of the doubt. Not telling you how to handle such situations, just sharing.

Whatever your belief system, happy holiday or hope your weekend is going well.

Sincerely, techore.

EDIT:
          @Moddit, I just read the post and your response(?). Your response is offensive.

You are better than that.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by techore.
          • This reply was modified 2 months ago by techore.
          sybok
            Helpful
            Up

Hello,

my limited understanding is that the, definitely surprising and unconventional (on this forum to my best knowledge), post by @DaveW got a bit harsh response by @ModdIt.
            I can *imagine* reasonable situations where both posts come from and thus relate to both sides.

@DaveW tried to encourage us a way compatible with his believe system and though some may/do not agree with his beliefs I do sincerely hope the intention was good.
            He got a bit harsh response associating him with some of the worst things that happened because-of/in Catholic/Protestant church.
            I would probably feel hurt and in a position where I would defend my beliefs, most likely in a private message.
            @DaveW did indeed react in a private message.
            I do not know its content, I do not know if he defended the beliefs or the institution and in what way.

I can understand @ModdIt as well.
            He mentioned that he endured several Covid infections that left some after-effects and such a continuing discomfort may make one snappy.
            I have been experiencing something similar for few weeks and it does affect me.
            And *if*, I dare to speculate here, @ModdIt encountered people who were “fanatic missionaries”, who did not see that the others have their freedom to chose their believe system or they did not want to acknowledge that some people in Catholic/Protestant church have failed to uphold the ideals and standard of behavior more than gravely, then it is understandably difficult to – as they say – turn the other cheek.

That does not necessarily mean all Christians are like that, that does not mean that the (original message of) Christianity is bad.
            Is it the case of @DaveW? I do not know, I hope not.

Oh boy, I can be pretty quick and harsh in my judgements and I often found out that they were actually wrong.
            (Therefore, I try to contain the first, often very emotional, reaction; not sure if it helps my blood pressure but it helps relationships around me.)

Based on that experience, I would like to encourage all forum members to try to see the better side in each other, to assume the best intentions in their actions.
            Because, after all, each of us is a human being who simply wants to find happiness in their life.
            As long as they respect my freedom to try so without interfering with theirs [freedom], I wish them good luck.
            And if they do interfere, then it is time to speak up; such a response may be firm… and I prefer it to be polite.

PS: Not quite sure anymore if my post is needed, or that it does contain/pass the message I wanted to.

Brian Masinick
              Helpful
              Up

@sybok: Thank you for your kind remarks. I’m sorry that some people, just because they have differing points of view, choose to attack one another.
              It’s definitely OK to have differing points of view, and in this case, people who have certain faith beliefs certainly have a right to have them.
              What I do not favor is any attempt to impose the faith beliefs we have upon others.

I definitely have a faith that I practice. While I’m happy to have a faith and I am passionate about it, unless someone specifically asks me about it, I’m not inclined to use a technical forum to express my faith views, I’m more inclined to live them and express them in the community where I live, and/or in places and forums where such discussions are encouraged.

I won’t censor anyone unless a problem escalates, but I suggest that people who want to carry on discussions that can lead to arguments find a more suitable place in which to carry on such exchanges.

Brian
              Or "The Mas"

olsztyn
                Helpful
                Up

I’m sorry that some people, just because they have differing points of view, choose to attack one another.

Reluctantly, I just want to point out that your usually balanced and diplomatic way to defuse a situation by applying equal responsibility to both parties, becomes substantially unevenhanded on occasions for the sake of peace in this forum. This is such one, where one side clearly attacks another, not just person, but the entire Christian religion.
                I am familiar enough with mainstream religions, having studied to a degree in the original languages, to be able to understand and respect each other.

Attacking another religion is not appropriate in this forum. If it was not the Christian religion but Islam to be attacked here, do we realize what would happen? I have read the Quaran (in English only though) and it gives me a good idea…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

andyprough
                  Helpful
                  Up

I am familiar enough with mainstream religions, having studied to a degree in the original languages, to be able to understand and respect each other… I have read the Quaran (in English only though)

You and I have a lot in common, I’ve been in seminary and studied the Bible in Greek and Hebrew and I’ve also read the English Quran (and various Buddhist and Hindu texts). Where we might differ though is I’ve found that some of the best discussions began when someone expressed anger about religion, and I did not fight back against that (often appropriate) feeling of anger but instead asked for the opportunity to respectfully explore the roots of the anger. Often people have a perfectly valid reason to feel oppressed or betrayed by the actions of certain organized religious institutions. And yet, pure materialistic rationalism can leave them feeling alone and overwhelmed in a cruel, uncaring and hopeless universe. These are good and fruitful conversations to engage in, I’d be more than happy to dialog with anyone in private messages, or better yet by email at my screen name at disroot dot org.

sybok
                    Helpful
                    Up

@olsztyn:

This is such one, where one side clearly attacks another, not just person, but the entire Christian religion.

Personally, I consider three different terms: Christianity (religion, collection of ideas/ideals to live by), a Christian (someone who practices that religion), a church (an institution meant to organize those of shared belief and to promote religion).

The posts you most likely refer to IMHO expressed a strongly opposing opinion on the institutionalized religion (referred to as a “machine”), i.e. the institution = church, by pointing out some of the atrocities that *did* happen in the past, in some cases they were going on for quite some time without being exposed for what they were/are.
                    More scandals reported in recent years indicate this may still not be fully resolved.
                    I would surely agree that the aforementioned post could be formulated more politely.

Nevertheless, I do not see it as an attack of *the entire Christian religion*, that feels to me as an overstatement.
                    If you point out a politician in a democratic country had a corruption scandal and some others were involved in (covering the tracks), is your pointing it out an attack on the entire democracy?
                    If you point out a scientist falsified their data, is it an attack on the entire science/scientific method?

I do not think so.
                    You express that certain individuals failed to behave according to a code of conduct they accepted as their way of life (due to choice of profession and/or belief) and that the implemented control mechanisms failed to detect and to resolve the issue soon enough (or at least a bit sooner).
                    This is not about attacking core ideas/beliefs/principles, but pointing out flaws in their realizations, namely in individual(s)/institution(s) involved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.