novice lan trouble

Forum Forums General Software novice lan trouble

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 3-2:04 pm by jdmeaux1952.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    roland

I never needed a domestic network having phone sockets in every room, but now I need a PC in the summer house which is not wired. I defined a ‘rolandnet’ in my linksys ethernet wireless switch and the network appears as I would expect. However I cannot connect wirelessly, during a long pause it declares ‘connecting’, then it fails with a message flashed instantaneously across the bottom of the window reading ‘wrong password’ or similar. I’m sure I have either done something wrongly or it’s simply not done at all. Can anyone familiar with this aspect please look through these screen dumps and tell me where I’m going wrong? thanks in anticipation, and a happy and prosperous new year to all.

Screen dumps are spread over multiple posts due to limit of 4 per post.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

screen dumps for lan trouble [continuued]

system is antiX 16.2 completely up to date on an AMD 64bit PC with 3gb ram and PCI Linksys wireless card, switch and wireless card are both set to channel 11.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by roland.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by roland.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

not well-experienced with wifi, but your screenshots left me wondering whether WEP password has been correctly set.
    After websearching
    linux wireless|wifi “wrong password” WEP

my troubleshooting suggestion is: (skip the fandangled GUI configuration manglers and) inspect and/or edit
    /etc/network/interfaces

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid YourEssID
    wireless-mode managed
    wireless-key xxxxx
    ile
    Helpful
    Up

hi roland
    wep set to passphrase then use the passphrase pa$$w0rd (or set it to hex.) suddenly it ends with a tick in a box that says never connect? untick that box. did you try it with ceni that you show? you do not include a image that shows a match to the wireless interface name = wlan0. make sure it is a match. trial wpa? and why a particular channel 11? auto work?

jdmeaux1952
    Helpful
    Up

Phrasewords/passwords can be tricky. I have more than once accidentally hit the CapsLock key while typing a password and tried forever to figure what happened. Always look at the obvious. And be sure to save your changes as you configure a router. I spent two days trying to figure why the default password would word, but not my new one. DUH!

The Kernel has my back covered.
    AMD desktop FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 nVidia GeForce 730 GT 8 Gb memory
    MSI laptop S6000 i5-460M 4 Gb ram

A great mind is something to get terribly wasted.
    LRU# 563815

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.