nvidia-detect-mx issue

Forum Forums General Hardware nvidia-detect-mx issue

Tagged: 

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Dec 27-3:13 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    symbol

I tried to get antix 22 or antix 23 on a macbook pro mid 2013 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

On the first run of “nvidia-detect-mx”, it suggested legacy-390 on antix 22 and nvidia-tesla-470-driver on antix 23.

After try install the suggested driver, either 22 or 23 fails to start GUI.
      Then “nvidia-detect-mx” says this graphics card is not supported and I may need to check MX test repo.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by symbol.
      • This topic was modified 5 months ago by symbol. Reason: Wrong GPU card
      symbol

Are there any ways to install Nvidia driver for “NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M” manually?

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

https://askubuntu.com/questions/264247/proprietary-nvidia-drivers-with-efi-on-mac-to-prevent-overheating/613573#613573

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Not sure why nouveau is not good enough? But I am MAC ignorant.

Good luck and Howdy and Welcome.

The 470.xx driver supports the following set of GPUs.

NVIDIA GPU product Device PCI ID Subdevice PCI ID
          GeForce GT 745M 0FE3
          GeForce GT 750M 0FE4
          GeForce GT 750M 0FE9

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

symbol

How do I install nouveau-driver?

Also this first reference is too old, any newer reference?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/264247/proprietary-nvidia-drivers-with-efi-on-mac-to-prevent-overheating/613573#613573

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by symbol.
            caprea

After try install the suggested driver, either 22 or 23 fails to start GUI.

Hi symbol, if this happens something went wrong during the installation and what exactly happened is recorded in /var/log/ddm.log
              So it would be useful if you post this here before you reboot.
              If something goes wrong during the installation, which is always mentioned by ddm-mx in the form of a mentioned error or similar, you can avoid being left without a GUI after the reboot by uninstalling the nvidia driver beforehand.
              sudo ddm-mx -p nvidia

In my experience so far, the most common problem is that the nvidia driver cannot be compiled on the kernel used.

How do I install nouveau-driver?

The nouveau driver should be used by default. If you post the output of
              inxi -Gxxx
              or
              inxi -zv7
              we can see which driver is used currently.

symbol

I see,then I never sucessfully installed antix linux with nouveau nvidia drivers.

I have to switch to bodhilinux and will get back debugging with you if I have chance. Really love antix linux

$ inxi -Gxxx
                Graphics:
                  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Apple driver: i915
                    v: kernel ports: active: none empty: VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                    chip-ID: 8086:0166 class-ID: 0300
                  Device-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 650M Mac Edition] vendor: Apple
                    driver: nvidia v: 470.223.02 pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                    chip-ID: 10de:0fd5 class-ID: 0300
                  Device-3: Apple FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) type: USB driver: uvcvideo
                    bus-ID: 1-1.1:3 chip-ID: 05ac:8510 class-ID: 0e02 serial: DJHD41Z5F9DNYGB0
                  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 compositors: 1: enlightenment
                    2: Compton v: 1 driver: X: loaded: nvidia gpu: i915,nvidia display-ID: :0.0
                    screens: 1
                  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1440x900 s-dpi: 110 s-size: 333x212mm (13.1x8.3")
                    s-diag: 395mm (15.5")
                  Monitor-1: DP-2 res: 1440x900 hz: 60 dpi: 111 size: 331x207mm (13.0x8.1")
                    diag: 390mm (15.4")
                  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
                    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.223.02 direct render: Yes
                • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by symbol.
                symbol

What I can tell right now is that nouveau driver never works for GeForce GT 650M Mac Edition for both antix 22 or antix 23.

oops

inxi -Ga # is better

caprea

So the inxi you posted is from bodhilinux ?If it works for you the same nvidia driver 470.xxxx is available on antiX21 and 23 (debian bullseye/bookworm) and certainly ddm-mx will also try to install this driver as long as the repo sources are not changed.
                      I’m still guessing it’s a kernel problem, the nvidia cannot get compiled on the kernel.A first attempt to a solution would be to upgrade to the latest available version of the currently used kernel.Next try would be another kernel like the 6.xx kernels, always the most recent versions.

You said its a GeForce GT 750M in the first post, the inxi is from GeForce GT 650M.That’s why we prefer to see
                      the inxi -zv7 report from the installed or live antiX.We can see antiX version, the kernel in use and the specific hardware.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by caprea.
                      symbol

Yeah, it is currently from Bodhi.

I hope Antix Linux could install this driver/ or some working driver automatically on installation. Actually some linux initially does not install nvidia driver, but they will NOT boot into black screen, using nvidia alleviate the overheating problem.

So the inxi you posted is from bodhilinux ?If it works for you the same nvidia driver 470.xxxx is available on antiX21 and 23 (debian bullseye/bookworm) and certainly ddm-mx will also try to install this driver as long as the repo sources are not changed.
                        I’m still guessing it’s a kernel problem, the nvidia cannot get compiled on the kernel.A first attempt to a solution would be to upgrade to the latest available version of the currently used kernel.Next try would be another kernel like the 6.xx kernels, always the most recent versions.

You said its a GeForce GT 750M in the first post, the inxi is from GeForce GT 650M.That’s why we prefer to see
                        the inxi -zv7 report from the installed or live antiX.We can see antiX version, the kernel in use and the specific hardware.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by symbol.
                        • This reply was modified 5 months ago by symbol.
                        oops

With inxi -Ga I also have the info: “non-free: 545.xx+ status: current” in one of my GPU… so the better nvidia driver is: 545.xx , but this GPU also works with nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver. (and nouveau module, for desktop uses, not for games)

root@ll:/home/ll# inxi -Ga
                          Graphics:
                            Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 390.157
                              non-free: 545.xx+ status: current (as of 2023-11; EOL~2026-12-xx)
                              arch: Pascal code: GP10x process: TSMC 16nm built: 2016-2021 pcie: gen: 1
                              speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1c82
                              class-ID: 0300
                            Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.10 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
                              gpu: nvidia display-ID: :1 screens: 1
                            Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1280x1024 s-dpi: 85 s-size: 382x302mm (15.04x11.89")
                              s-diag: 487mm (19.17")
                            Monitor-1: VGA-0 res: 1280x1024 hz: 60 dpi: 86
                              size: 376x301mm (14.8x11.85") diag: 482mm (18.96") modes: N/A
                            API: EGL v: 1.4 hw: drv: nvidia platforms: device: egl egl: N/A drv: N/A
                              gbm: drv: N/A x11: drv: nvidia inactive: wayland
                            API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 vendor: nvidia v: 390.157 glx-v: 1.4
                              direct-render: yes renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 memory: 3.91 GiB
                            API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.
                          • This reply was modified 5 months ago by oops.
                          caprea

@Oops, this is interesting, and did ddm-mx inform you about that during installation?

oops

@caprea … Yes I guess it is the same version into antiX, but actually I am under MX and some repositories are not the same so it is better to use : nvidia-detect-mx first… and then for exemple: sudo ddm-mx -i nvidia -f nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver

$ nvidia-detect
                              Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
                              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] [10de:1c82] (rev a1)
                              Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] (rev a1)
                              Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 390.
                              It is recommended to install the
                                  nvidia-driver
                              package.
                              $ nvidia-detect-mx
                              Distribution:   MX
                              Le plus récent  = 525.125.06
                              Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
                              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] [10de:1c82] (rev a1)
                              Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] (rev a1)
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la 390 série de pilotes nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver Nvidia.
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la tesla 418 série de pilotes nvidia-tesla-418-driver Nvidia.
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la tesla 440 série de pilotes nvidia-tesla-440-driver Nvidia.
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la tesla 450 série de pilotes nvidia-tesla-450-driver Nvidia.
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la tesla 470 série de pilotes nvidia-tesla-470-driver Nvidia.
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la tesla 510 série de pilotes nvidia-tesla-510-driver Nvidia.
                              Votre carte est prise en charge par la 525.125.06 série de pilotes nvidia-driver Nvidia.
                              Il est recommandé d’installer le suivant :
                              INSTALL:  nvidia-driver
                              Pour installer d’autres paquets de pilotes, veuillez utiliser sudo ddm-mx -i nvidia -f [driver package name]

But nvidia drivers are not always easy to install under Linux (need the same GCC version, no GCC pluggins .config into the kernel, etc) I have also tried the latest one 525.125.06 but without success so far. (it is my first nvidia GPU into Linux so I have to learn too.

oops

An other solution is here (see README/):
                                https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/545.29.06/

But not tried yet.

olsztyn

Not sure why nouveau is not good enough?

On my MacBook Pro mid-2013 with nVidia (the same MacBook as the the thread originator’s) nouveau is just fine, performing all the graphics I need, but perhaps the graphics performance requirements of @symbol are much higher. Nouveau performs much better with later kernels but not quite the same performance as nVidia with earlier kernels. I think there still a significant difference, but installing nVidia graphics driver has been increasingly more difficult over time.
                                  And heat might be another factor here in result of performance toll.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.