nvidia driver, what is the distinction?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions nvidia driver, what is the distinction?

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 28-3:31 am by jdmeaux1952.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    entropyfoeentropyfoe

I updated noveau to nvidia with the antix tool.

I was presented with two options

375.82 from debian main -1-deb9-1

OR

375.82 from the backports -4-bpo9+1

I picked the backports version but don’t really know what the difference is. I figured the bpo version was newer, maybe more stable. I rebooted, all is working.

I am looking for stability, is there any difference?

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
    16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
    Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
    Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-18, P4=antiX-19 beta
    2TB WD sda1= data
    on-board ethernet &and sound

capreacaprea

Theres no difference in stability, I think. Both provide the nvidia-kernel 375.82.

You have a nice and recent machine running antix, I’m really curious how this get-together will go on. Where do you wanna fly?

entropyfoeentropyfoe

Yup, and new hardware needs a newer kernel

I am looking to upgrade kernels once I can figure out how to do in a stable way.
    Over at the MX forums, I detailed my problems with antix 17 and the 4.13 kernel.

What I read over on Phoronix and other spots on the web, newer even 4.14 and 4.15 are still incorporating Ryzen improvements. I have a recent BIOS, only two months old ( There is a new (1201) one out literally yesterday, saying “system stability improvements”, I’ll wait fro some reviews.)
    With noveau I get mouse/KB lock ups every day or two. It seems software related. And the antix 17 with the 4.10 is the most stable yet, having achieved 8-9 days uptime with the rc1.

Once I see how stable this install is, I may try a liquorix kernel on antix or MX,either 17.
    (My old machine a FX-8320 based machine and MX, it was unconditionally stable, with up-times of a month or two easily)

Stability, that is where I want to fly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by entropyfoe. Reason: updating bios and editing for spelling

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    2TB WD sda1= data

capreacaprea

Three years ago I built a PC with recent hardware, with an intel i5 4430.
    At some point I decided to use the testing repo in antix, mainly because of the integrated graphic.These days I could stay with stable.
    Since one and a half year I got a nvidia card and used sgfxi for the driver, never had problems, and I updated a lot,allways wanted to have the newest driver for the card.But suddenly since three month there is no success.

Never tried the in Antix integrated nvidia installer.
    For me the best solution was to just download the latest driver from the nvidia-side and install it manuell, was surprised how easy this is, just three commands out of X.

Until now I didn’t try the 4.13 -kernel, but will do this the next days and let you Know how it went.
    With the liquorix-kernels I never had luck, tried it only two times and both times I had some red lines in dmesg.Others surely recommend them.

Anyway, I’m still surprised how very fast a recent PC isn’t a recent PC anymore.Although I think the new Ryzen with its compatible mainboards and ram (the newest intel too) are really what they are called: A next generation.
    I wanted to have a energy-saving, really silent and also enough powerfull PC, and this is what I still have and everything is running smooth and stable.
    Nevertheless I’m somehow interested in the virtual reality technoligy.Maybe if its practicable in linux, I will think about building a new one.
    So for me, what you are doing is some kind of absorbing.

entropyfoeentropyfoe

caprea,
    It was 5 years since I last built a system, the Ryzen was enough of a difference to make it worth the money.
    But very new hardware brings trouble with linux, especially in the first 6 months, we are still in that time.
    It is not only the progress with Ryzen, I was always a fan of the underdog AMD. But the new Ryzen is as good as the current Intel stuff, but much cheaper, sometimes half, and the motherboards are also usually cheaper. For me the 1600X is the sweet spot, clocks as fast as top of the line, but with 75% the cores for half the price. Single thread is good, a breakthrough for amd. And true multithreading, my six cores shows as 12 processors, and I have had top reporting 700% at times. Yet in lite duty, the system pulls only 50W at the wall plug. The power management is very sophisticated. And the new boards bring the NVMe port for SSDs, the speed is incredible. That and the 3200 MHz memory, these are big updates compared to older hardware in performance.

I go for stability (I like that back from the Mepis now MX days) and silence. I have a fanless power supply and video card. So I buy a large slow fan for the CPU cooler, a quiet oriented case, plus 2 large slow case fans, lead to a nearly silent system. But it is a very powerful system. For VR or gaming you would certainly want a better nvidia card.

There is a new BIOS that came out yesterday, and the newer kernels, within 6 more months, all the drivers will be in the kernel, microcode will be updated, BIOS fixes in, a second pass fixing the bugs from the first fixes….then it will be easy. For now, for example, I can’t read the sensors, not cpu temps most importantly or MB temp, or fans. (except in the BIOS)

The nvidia with the antix control center worked well. I have often used sgfxi with good luck until recently.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by entropyfoe. Reason: fixed several spelling errors

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    2TB WD sda1= data

capreacaprea

Wanted to let you know that I installed the 4.13.4-antix.1-amd64-smp today and it built perfectly against the nvidia-kernel. I only had to run an update-grub.

$ dkms status
    nvidia, 384.98, 4.13.4-antix.1-amd64-smp, x86_64: installed
    nvidia, 384.98, 4.8.10-antix-sid.1-amd64-smp, x86_64: installed
    rtl8192cu-tjp, 1.6: added

I read again your topics on the mx-forum today and for real a few things went strange.
    Knowing its not really an advice for you because firstly I use the newest driver from the nvidia-side and secondly installed it manually with the nvidia.run-file. apart from the completely different hardware
    But I know that both the nvidia-driver-installer from antix and the .run-file from nvidia use dkms.
    So if I were in your shoes I would give the 4.13-antix-kernel a new chance.

entropyfoeentropyfoe

Good advice.
    I am still doing the stability testing.

My data is this:
    1. with antix 17 rc1 the 4.10 kernel, 8 and a half days, no crash or lock up.
    2. Then my unsuccessful tries at the antix 4.13, and then the MX 17 beta. That was installed, with the 4.9 kernel, and it would reboot spontaneously every 1-2 days, usually at idle, with nothing special going on.
    3. The MX 17 beta and antix 17 -on this hardware, requires the nvidia driver. With noveau will lock the keyboard and mouse every few days, some kind of x crash obviously, as the fans are running, lights on, and in one case music playing ! So I have to have, BIOS >0902, AND nvidia, and I have to have a kernel > or = 4.10-.
    4. Now with antix 17 final, fully updated, configured, up for 5 days, plus , optimistically, adding the RC1 8 days, so putting me near 13 days of no crash or lock up. How long to test before claiming a stable system? I will probably run a little longer before messing with it, maybe on the weekend. It is not just the OS I am testing, the system is still new, and has yet to have a full proving of the hardware, though I have done extensive Memtest, and heavy CPU loading, like handbrake at >700% CPU. No problems.

But all internet sources indicate a newer kernel is even better.
    So, I should image this install, and try the 4.13 again.
    What was your procedure?

install the4.13 kernel, I will use synaptic, may have to enable the test repo?
    Install the headers for that 4.13 kernel 64 bit
    update grubs for good measure
    Anything with the video driver? How did you do that? In that MX thread I think it was richb that offered a way (dkms?) to add your working nvidia to other installed kernels.

So, what should I expect after booting advanced options, and selecting the new 4.13, if all went well, a stock antix 17 install? One with all the /home configs and customization, wallpapers, applications?

This is new stuff for me…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by entropyfoe. Reason: Added question
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by entropyfoe.

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    2TB WD sda1= data

capreacaprea

Sure you should expect your normal antix desktop with all your customizations, and nothing else should happen.
    The 4.13 kernel seems to have a problem to build against three modules, it’s not on the antix-side, the debian 4.13 does the same.
    The broadcom, ndiswrapper and virtualbox dkms drivers. If you have a broadcomchip, want to use virtualbox or ndiswrapper, you have a problem and should wait until this is fixed.
    But if not, give it a try.

It’s not critical.
    Please look if you have the appropriate nvidia-kernel-dkms for your graphicdriver installed.The antix-nvidia-driver-installer should do this automatically, but maybe not.(remember it was from mx-backports-sources)

During the installation of the 4.13 with synaptic one window will open with the downloads, when completed another little window opens with the install.
    Look that you don’t have ticked “close this window when completed”
    Click on details and you can read carefully how the installation went.
    You will see the three dkms errors with the drivers from above.Maybe it will get mentioned more times, I can’t remember.
    If you see any error with nvidia dkms, you can deinstall the kernel and headers right afterwards, make an update-grub also on the correspondending partitiones before you reboot into antix.And nothing will change.

Probably there is no error with nvidia and you can go on with udate-grub. Remember that you have to update-grub also on another partition (I read it in your topic on the mx-forum)

If your system doesn’t boot afterwards like you expected , you can easyly go back to the old kernel, by booting it through the expanded options, deinstalling the 4.13 kernel and headers and make an update-grub.
    Then you maybe have to think about installing a newer nvidia-driver, e.g. 384.98,which supports your card too and builds fine against the 4.13-kernel.
    I’m thinking about if maybe the nvidia-kernel-dkms of your nvidia-driver is to old for the new 4.13 kernels.

But, this all is up to you.
    Oh, I have just seen on mx-forum that the MX 17 beta 2 is out, it involves the 4.13.0-0-kernel.You surely first go this way.Good luck!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by caprea.
    capreacaprea

After some thoughts I’m pretty sure, you have to update the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-dkms from 375.82-4-bpo9+1
    to 375.82-8~bpo9+1
    if you want to go on here.
    Don’t know if the nvidia installer will do this automatically, if you install again the driver with it.
    Dolphin-oracle should know.

jdmeaux1952jdmeaux1952

One thing about kernels, there are plenty out there. Will the newest and greatest ones work you you is the question. As with everything else, the newest sometimes drop out features or items needed by older systems. Who plays cassettes in their cars/trucks anymore when everybody has gone to cd/dvd formats?

I have a computer I built that used the newest parts a few years back. Now it is considered slow and antiquated. I do lots of video editing and it still works great. I can’t use newer programs for it because the programs require new standards/recommended equipment. But it gets things done the way I like it.

One thing about AntiX I really like. You can do LOTS of changes and still get it to work great. I can get better performance out of my MSI S6000 than my son can from his Intel i7.

The kernel has my back covered.

The Kernel has my back covered.
    AMD desktop FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 nVidia GeForce 730 GT 8 Gb memory
    MSI laptop S6000 i5-460M 4 Gb ram

A great mind is something to get terribly wasted.
    LRU# 563815

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.