Nvidia drivers won’t install

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Feb 1-9:15 am by roland.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    roland

Dear friends,

I have had trouble with Nvidia before, here it is again. I have no sound available on this PC despite adjusting the mixer to appropriate settings.

I ran 3 jobs,

1. apt update, and apt upgrade 2. Install Nvidia drivers from control panel (no backports) 3. Install Nvidia drivers (looking in backports)

All report a missing / unavailable legacy driver and fail to complete clean.

Please see the script logs attached.

All responsed are much appreciated.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

For the 5.8.16-antix.1-kernel you must install the nvidia-driver from backports.The one from main repos won’t build against the kernel.

But something else is going wrong now. I assume you have the headers for the kernel installed, yes ?

Please from terminal
    sudo ddm-mx -p nvidia

This will remove everything from nvidia
    Reboot
    Then run again the nvidia-installer from control panel and explicitly select the driver from backports.

I installed the legacy-nvidia-driver from backports with antix-kernel 5.8.16 two weeks ago and there was no problem.So it should work.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for that response Caprea.

This morning it would boot after reporting the missing nvidia 340xx driver but halted at the invitation to login.

A manual attempt to run startx failed with xinit unable to connect to X server.

I was able to run a bash session to remove everything used by nividia as you suggested, and this finished ok having removed many modules.

However a cold reboot still terminates at the invitation to login with no attempt made to run startx. On this mainboard there is no graphics chipset and therefore without the nvidia card and drivers no graphics capability apart from bios.

When I login and try startx as superuser it fails as before, xinit unable to connect to X server.

Is there a bash method of installing the nvidia drivers, and if so would you guide me through it please? Or maybe suggest a more appropriate course of action?

Thanks for your time on this.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

As root do
    /usr/local/bin/ddm-mx -i nvidia

It will guide you through the installation.Choose the backports-driver.

It looks like you are in time using the vesa driver instead of the nouveau-driver.
    I guess this happened because you installed the system by using the safe-video or failsafe mode.

Next time when you make an installation of the system on this hardware please try the following boot-parameters instead of failsafe or save-video.
    xorg=nouveau nouveau.modeset=1

for the live-stick.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks Caprea for that excellent response, ‘/usr/local/bin/ddm-mx -i nvidia’ ran through without a hitch, I chose the backports driver 340.108 as offered, then a ‘shutdown now’ finished with an invitation to type, I ran ‘startx’ which completed successfully, followed by a shutdown and cold reboot brought me to where I have not been with this build, a fully working nvidia graphics card.

Many thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.