Nvidia installation error messge.

Forum Forums General Software Nvidia installation error messge.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Mar 3-10:18 am by Thalassius.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thalassius

Hi! πŸ™‚

At a new Antix installation, after updating the system, I noticed that Nouveau didn’t work for me, as expected, so I installed (from the repositories) the official Nvidia driver (package: nvidia-driver), as I prompted by the respective Nvidia utility.
      After rebooting the system, I’m getting every time the message:
      udevd: error running install command modprobe -i nvidia current for module nvidia. Retcode: 1.

PS. Updating (as root) initramfs, didn’t help.
      PS1. I can’t see any negative effects, so far.

Any thoughts?
      Do you think it’s a bug?
      Maybe a random noise?
      Any action from me required?

TIA! πŸ™‚

For the glorious men, every land is a grave.
      Pericles' "Funeral Oration".

Forum Admin
      dolphin_oracle

just guessing but it may be you have the wrong version of the nvidia driver installed.

please post your

inxi -G

and

nvidia-detect

output please. both run as regular user.

FWIW there is a installer tool in the antiX control center that tries to determine the correct driver prior to installation.

Thalassius

>inxi -G
          Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nvidia v: 460.91.03
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nvidia resolution: 1360×768~60Hz
          OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.91.03
          >nvidia-detect
          Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] [10de:128b] (rev a1)

Checking card: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
          Your card is supported by all driver versions.
          Your card is also supported by the Tesla 460 drivers series.
          Your card is also supported by the Tesla 450 drivers series.
          Your card is also supported by the Tesla 418 drivers series.
          It is recommended to install the
          nvidia-driver
          package.
          >

ModdIt

udevd: error running install command modprobe -i nvidia current for module nvidia. Retcode: 1.

Above has been reported by numerous users on many different distros. I see it every boot.
            Not been able to find a solution for the message.
            I suspect that as it occurs very early in the start process the card or driver is not ready, as
            long as Nvidia driver is being used it can be ignored.

Output of inxi-G in the post from Thalassius shows N Vidia driver is in usage.

Forum Admin
            dolphin_oracle

well the good news is it looks like the right driver is loaded despite the error.

ModdIt

Maybe also run in terminal nvidia-smi just to see if it outputs any unexpected errors.

On another distro the system messages pointed to the non free driver module tainting the kernel.

Rather old Devuan thread also discusses the message
                http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2259
                Never found a solution so ignored the message for a long long time now.

Thalassius
                  >nvidia-smi
                  Thu Mar  3 02:48:15 2022       
                  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                  | NVIDIA-SMI 460.91.03    Driver Version: 460.91.03    CUDA Version: N/A      |
                  |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
                  | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
                  | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
                  |                               |                      |               MIG M. |
                  |===============================+======================+======================|
                  |   0  GeForce GT 710      Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 N/A |                  N/A |
                  | 50%   28C    P8    N/A /  N/A |    128MiB /  2001MiB |     N/A      Default |
                  |                               |                      |                  N/A |
                  +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
                  |  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
                  |        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
                  |=============================================================================|
                  |  No running processes found                                                 |
                  >

THANKS guys for all your help!!! πŸ˜‰

It is rather obvious for me, that this is a bug of Nvidia drivers.
                  Nothing can be done, since it’s closed source.
                  On the other hand, since it occurs very early in the process and has no negative effects, it can be consider a random noise. and can be ignored.
                  THANKS AGAIN!!! πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.