Old Computers

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Old Computers

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by masinick Oct 12-11:53 am.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    masinick
    masinick

The Dell Inspiron 5558 was still being sold new, but several newer models were already featured.

It’s already at least a few generations old, none of that i3, i5, or i7 stuff that I can recall! 😀

Brian Masinick

poorguy
    poorguy

Most of the time I get previously used units.

They’re the best kind imo.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by masinick. Reason: "Smart phone" changed my intended statement; I changed what was written to something closer to what I intend to convey

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.
    (Thomas Edison)

fatmac
    fatmac

We have Freecycle over here, where you can get rid of stuff no charge, or pick up stuff for free. 🙂

(Our Charity Shops, something like American Thrift Stores, don’t sell any electrical stuff – it’s too much of a hassle legally wise.)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

poorguy
    poorguy

Hey fatmac,

Yeah we have Freecycle where I live and it’s pretty cool I found some neat stuff.

Hell man just driving here and there I find all sorts of working electronics and naturally I stop and get it.

I don’t always keep what I find sometimes I grab it up for the challenge of the repair or see if anything can be used.

If it nets no value to me or anyone I know than off to the recycle center near me.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.
    (Thomas Edison)

jdmeaux1952
    jdmeaux1952

The reality of Computers.

Attachments:

The Kernel has my back covered.
    AMD desktop FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 nVidia GeForce 730 GT 8 Gb memory
    MSI laptop S6000 i5-460M 4 Gb ram

A great mind is something to get terribly wasted.
    LRU# 563815

PPC

Just realized how good your Mark Twain citation is, Poor guy! Probably the best I randomly found on-line 🙂

About old computers: I have not bought a computer in over a decade. My netbook, about 8-9 years was given to me a few years ago… Both my desktop and netbook run “fine” with antiX, but I tried Mx-linux live on my wife’s (about 3 years old) laptop and almost cried and I realized it was way faster than even my desktop with antiX instaled to hd, this b*stard “flew”, didn’t just run “fine”…
    I realized that there’s so much you can expect from very old hardware 🙁 .

partsman
    partsman

Hi all
    Ya old computers rock ! I too have not bought a PC for at least 12yrs.
    I did however bought a used Toshiba Satellite a few years pack for my daughter.
    It also runs AntiX ! Also have an old P2 and an old P3 in the man cave just begging
    to get AntiX up and running on. No need to buy a newer PC just find an Awesome operating system like AntiX
    to install on the oldies but goodies 😉

Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)

poorguy
    poorguy

Hey partsman,

Yep pretty much says it all.

I don’t have any as old as a P2 or P3 and the oldest I have now is a Pentium D 820 Smithfield.

Old free computers and antix almost equals excellence.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

masinick
    masinick

Hmm, I’ll have to check into Freecycle myself and see if it’s available in my area.
    Sounds like a useful service, both to get rid of stuff and make good use of what others can’t use that may still be useful with antiX!

Brian Masinick

noordinaryspider

My new computers are apparently “old computers” by normal people standards. AntiX gets the most use on my T20 and T43 Thinkpads, which are my treasures, both deliberately found on eBay to replace the dear departeds from previous chapters of my life. My “daily drivers” that don’t get as much pampering are librebooted X200, T400, X60 and a T61 and X60 with factory Lenovo BIOS.

My phone doesn’t exist. I use Sopranica https://soprani.ca/ , public wifi, and an EeePC netbook instead.

This is by choice and not just for financial reasons. I’m hoping to get either a low end Raptor TALOS or the second generation of the currently crowd-funded EOMA68 when the last of the bunch needs more than I can give it.

The difference between the T20 and the X60 is startling enough inside. I keep the older gal offline except for once in awhile to show her off, but she was obviously built to last a lot longer than my newer old PCs.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by noordinaryspider. Reason: typo

Gnu/Linux user #387554 (since 2005-4-17) with old thinkpads and a strong preference for free-as-in-freedom over proprietary software.

Having loved and dabbled in antiX for a long time, I find that I still have so very much to learn and that learning is so very enjoyable.

fatmac
    fatmac

Just gave away a 2002 Advent laptop this year, as I’m modernising. 🙂

My morning laptop is a Toshiba Satellite from 2008, bought used, & it’s still going strong.

When I moved, in 2010, I bought some new computers.
    One netbook’s (from 2011) keyboard has packed up already, one laptop (from 2010) is now so noisy with the fan running all the time that I don’t use it much, (it’s clean inside, so must be a thermal problem), & my EeeBox (2011) is so slow it’s painful to use. 😆 Edited to add: My other small laptop’s touchpad quit working recently too, (2011).

So, I tried out an ARM processor in the form of a Raspberry Pi3B, (no fan), using Raspbian, (Debian), & it is so quiet to use, & not too slow considering it’s only a 1.2GHz processor with 1GB ram. Looking forward to the next generation, with, hopefully, more ram & USB3.

Anyway, what I came here to say is that I just bought a brand new computer – it’s a silent fanless micro box about 4.5″ square & 1.5″ deep, USB3.1, M2 SSD drive, HDMI &/or VGA, & it even has 5G wifi – loving it. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

noordinaryspider

ARM is probably the most realistic direction for us in “steerage”:

https://jxself.org/titanic.shtml

so I’m right behind you in a very conservative, low-risk manner. 🙂

Beaglebone Black for me. 😉

I’d love to see antiX for ARM. My tech skills aren’t up for Parabola and my people skills aren’t up for Devuan, Debian, or any of the usual suspects.

Gnu/Linux user #387554 (since 2005-4-17) with old thinkpads and a strong preference for free-as-in-freedom over proprietary software.

Having loved and dabbled in antiX for a long time, I find that I still have so very much to learn and that learning is so very enjoyable.

masinick
    masinick

We have Freecycle over here, where you can get rid of stuff no charge, or pick up stuff for free.

(Our Charity Shops, something like American Thrift Stores, don’t sell any electrical stuff – it’s too much of a hassle legally wise.)

Yeah. I just found a Freecycle in my community and I discovered pretty much what you did – a fairly simple charity shop, mostly giving away (or people requesting) furniture. In my area there seems to be a need for household items, furniture, “Bed Risers”, and things for children’s bedrooms. I don’t have anything right now to trade or give; we did quite a bit of that in preparation for our relocation back in early-mid Spring, and donated a LOT to either Good Will or the local Salvation Army, and we’ve recently given more freely to the local Good Will; hopefully some of the local needs will be met through one of these resources or the continued generosity of people. We have seen quite a few people who have some means and are not too stingy – they seem to be kind and giving in many ways, which makes me hopeful that there are such people still around!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.