Old Computers

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Old Computers

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by masinick Sep 10-6:39 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    masinick
    masinick

The Dell Inspiron 5558 was still being sold new, but several newer models were already featured.

It’s already at least a few generations old, none of that i3, i5, or i7 stuff that I can recall! 😀

Brian Masinick

poorguy
    poorguy

Most of the time I get previously used units.

They’re the best kind imo.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by masinick. Reason: "Smart phone" changed my intended statement; I changed what was written to something closer to what I intend to convey

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.
    (Thomas Edison)

fatmac
    fatmac

We have Freecycle over here, where you can get rid of stuff no charge, or pick up stuff for free. 🙂

(Our Charity Shops, something like American Thrift Stores, don’t sell any electrical stuff – it’s too much of a hassle legally wise.)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

poorguy
    poorguy

Hey fatmac,

Yeah we have Freecycle where I live and it’s pretty cool I found some neat stuff.

Hell man just driving here and there I find all sorts of working electronics and naturally I stop and get it.

I don’t always keep what I find sometimes I grab it up for the challenge of the repair or see if anything can be used.

If it nets no value to me or anyone I know than off to the recycle center near me.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.
    (Thomas Edison)

jdmeaux1952
    jdmeaux1952

The reality of Computers.

Attachments:

The Kernel has my back covered.
    AMD desktop FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 nVidia GeForce 730 GT 8 Gb memory
    MSI laptop S6000 i5-460M 4 Gb ram

A great mind is something to get terribly wasted.
    LRU# 563815

PPC

Just realized how good your Mark Twain citation is, Poor guy! Probably the best I randomly found on-line 🙂

About old computers: I have not bought a computer in over a decade. My netbook, about 8-9 years was given to me a few years ago… Both my desktop and netbook run “fine” with antiX, but I tried Mx-linux live on my wife’s (about 3 years old) laptop and almost cried and I realized it was way faster than even my desktop with antiX instaled to hd, this b*stard “flew”, didn’t just run “fine”…
    I realized that there’s so much you can expect from very old hardware 🙁 .

partsman
    partsman

Hi all
    Ya old computers rock ! I too have not bought a PC for at least 12yrs.
    I did however bought a used Toshiba Satellite a few years pack for my daughter.
    It also runs AntiX ! Also have an old P2 and an old P3 in the man cave just begging
    to get AntiX up and running on. No need to buy a newer PC just find an Awesome operating system like AntiX
    to install on the oldies but goodies 😉

Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)

poorguy
    poorguy

Hey partsman,

Yep pretty much says it all.

I don’t have any as old as a P2 or P3 and the oldest I have now is a Pentium D 820 Smithfield.

Old free computers and antix almost equals excellence.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

masinick
    masinick

Hmm, I’ll have to check into Freecycle myself and see if it’s available in my area.
    Sounds like a useful service, both to get rid of stuff and make good use of what others can’t use that may still be useful with antiX!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.