Openbox users group

Forum Forums General Software Openbox users group

• This topic has 35 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Mar 25-9:03 am by fungalnet.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Yes, I think you are right, Roky. I’m installing my tar file except the files Dave posted and will see how that goes.

Installing lxpanel didn’t do anything good or bad, but I’ve forgotten how it works.

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

That window is normal because it is not part of the iso set. I have only updated the menu building program. You should be able to edit the root menu xml file to include the antiX-Application menu.

This menu file should be under /usr/share/desktop-menu/.config/openbox/
    And the template
    /usr/share/desktop-menu/template
    And the new desktop-menu
    /usr/local/bin/

The other window managers should also have the new templates under /usr/share/desktop-menu/templates

But perhaps it may be easier to wait for the debs to update and try via apt-get

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Ummm, it worked fine when I moved my tar file in after adjusting the permissions and for a change in the way the /etc stuff is in a different directory. tint2 worked fine, too. All the menu stuff worked great, surprising as slow as this machine is.

PS: further testing shows my menus are looking nice but when I added a new app, lxtask, and refreshed the menu it wasn’t there, so that’s not working quite right. I did think I had it working under AntiX14, but that was 4 yrs ago.,.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by BobC.
    Attachments:

Have a look at http://lxlinux.com It is completely devoted to openbox.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by rysmier.

I remembered this morning what really set AntiX apart from the other distros, the first time I saw it back at version 8.5, I think. That was and still is that it has a number of different desktops that you can choose from, all of them already setup reasonably, that you can compare, tweak and run, and all you have to do is switch and adjust settings if you want to, and switch back if you feel like it.

I tried Fluxbox again today, as well as JWM, and Openbox here, and ICEWm. I don’t think the others can do that.

I’m sure if the Dev’s come up with an Openbox option, it will also be worth trying, and all the other AntiX goodies will still work with it as well.

fungalnetfungalnet

If you installed lxpanel all you have to do is $ lxpanel and it opens up in its default form. Then you right click on the bar and customize it. Once you are fully accustomed to it takes 2′ from scratch to configure it how you like it.
    To have it start on its own when you login just add the line to
    ~/.config/openbox/autostart
    lxpanel &

If autostart does not exist create it

Certain items on lxpanel have their own configuration guis, so beware when you right click what you are clicking on.

if the Dev’s come up with an Openbox option

scroll up. Re-read what Dave posted.
    If you want this to move forward, follow his instructions to install the stuffs, test and provide feedback as to what is working vs what is not.

Then you right click on the bar and customize it. Once you are fully accustomed to it takes 2′ from scratch to configure it how you like it.
    and it takes like 2 seconds (minutes) to create a personal repository on github.
    Upload to gihhub your customized ~/.openbox files (idunno whether that’s the actual dir the openbox config files are stored in)
    then post to say “hey, here’s my suggested default config {link}”

if the Dev’s come up with an Openbox option

scroll up. Re-read what Dave posted.
    If you want this to move forward, follow his instructions to install the stuffs, test and provide feedback as to what is working vs what is not.

Yes, I did with a freshly installed AntX17 Full x64, no other changes were made other than installing the packages, including lxpanel, and I then posted the results with screenshots here (go to post 7598):

Openbox users group

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by BobC.

okay, I understand now ~~ “did test, and found menus to be barren”. I guess you’re waiting to hear back from Dave.

I’d be interested to know the exact sequence of package installs to create an AntiX LXDE version.
    I’m saying: There is no “exact sequence” and “an LXDE version” is probably a too-broad designation.

In terms of available packages, we gots https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lxde&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all
    Package: task-lxde-desktop (pulls in “lxde” + “lightdm”)
    ^———- If you’re ready to chuck SLiM, in favor of LightDM, that’s _your_ call, your “Edition”.
    (Personally, I’m not QUITE ready to abandon use of SLiM)

and next thjere’s Package: lxde
    pulls in: (galculator), gpicview, (leafpad), (lxappearance), lxappearance-obconf, (lxterminal), xarchiver, lxde-core, lxde-icon-theme, lxhotkey-gtk, lxinput, lxrandr,
    lxsession-edit {—- configures which applications autostart in LXDE session (conflicts with, or circumvents, the antix-desktop mechanism)
    ^——— if you embrace all that, it’s no longer antiX, is it?

antiX is already using several of the independently-installable bits (lxappearance, lxterminal…)
    If you want to chuck spacefm, or redundantly install pcmanfm and all its deps, that’s _your_ call, your “Edition”.

One might take a step back, and consider installing just “lxde-core”. (Ah, it too depends on pcmanfm)
    It also depends on “lxde-session”
    and…
    [lxde-session] _aka_ openbox-lxde-session depends on
    lxde-common, lxsession, openbox, lxpanel, pcmanfm

Okay, howabout just “lxpanel” then? Well, it depends on:
    libfm-gtk4, libfm-modules, libfm4, libkeybinder0, libmenu-cache3 {— unusable outside lxde

=================

IMO, openbox alone is “do-able”.
    As for lxpanel (and it’s proprietariness, and dependencies), personally I’d choose an alternative panel, but hey, it’s _your_ “Edition”.

See what I mean? There is no “exact sequence” and, realistically, there isn’t even a “minimal” set/sequence of packages toward achieving an “lxde” result.

Yes, I wasn’t trying to be negative about it, as a good chunk of it did work.

I showed a screen shot of the menu, and I didn’t see the X windows apps. I don’t think LXPanel actually came up, but it wasn’t clear if I should have installed that or not. In an AntiX environment, I think Tint2 would be a better fit.

I tried adding LXTask to get it to rebuild the menus, but it didn’t appear on the menu, so I’m guessing there was an issue there.

What did work was that Openbox did appear as a selectable desktop, and I was able to select it, and it did switch to Openbox when I did, and the menu options that did appear did function.

After that post, I figured I might as well try what I’d created in 2014 on top of it, and while not perfect either, it did look and feel a lot more like AntiX (LOL, the ICEWm version I like).

As for load sequence, I’m figuring someday I’ll nail that down so I can do a build up package by package from the Core version. Maybe that just takes a lot of work to configure…

Dolphin-Oracle gets pretty close with the XFCE version video, and maybe that’s the way it has to be done, like your LXDE version idea, where you’d load a macro package, which would bring in the others, but as you say, at that point it’s not AntiX anymore, and I’d bet it would be consuming close to 200 mb of memory at idle, which violates the basic AntiX principle of being able to run lean and run well even on old hardware that is minimal by today’s standards.

fungalnetfungalnet

Re: BobC
    I have made ob run with 130 if that is what I wanted it to be, but usually I am close to 170-180 when I open it up with what I want running.
    You are saying “the antix environment” which to me is confusing. Except for certain themes and appearance stuff I have yet to see ob differ from linux to linux. Unless I have a conky saying on which system I am, sometimes I forget.
    LXtask is like htop, it is a process/task panel. You must mean something else. Maybe a menu editor?

I have tried jwm for a day here and there and ended up being pissed off at it. i3 gave me a headache just going through the manual. Maybe fluxbox is tolerable, to me.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

You are saying “the antix environment” which to me is confusing. Except for certain themes and appearance stuff I have yet to see ob differ from linux to linux

cd /usr/local/bin

ls

Then compare that folder contents to other distros. That is the AntiX environment. Besides the /etc/apt/preferences.d folder contents.
    Some things that default to /usr/local/bin in AntiX. Other distros default to using /usr/bin instead.

I played a long time ago with LXDE desktop using AntiX. It is not a interest of mine anymore. Fluxbox and Icewm suffice for my current druthers and needs. I am not saying others cannot play as I did. Have at it. Have fun.

https://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=31202&f=11

Edit: Disclaimer for the above link. Some members are offended by my screenshots. If you are one of those. Disregard my posted link.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Re: BobC
    I have made ob run with 130 if that is what I wanted it to be, but usually I am close to 170-180 when I open it up with what I want running.
    You are saying “the antix environment” which to me is confusing. Except for certain themes and appearance stuff I have yet to see ob differ from linux to linux. Unless I have a conky saying on which system I am, sometimes I forget.
    LXtask is like htop, it is a process/task panel. You must mean something else. Maybe a menu editor?

Yes, I was in the 180’s with WiFi and Printing and spacefm for its desktop. I suppose 130’s is possible.

By “AntiX environment” I meant being able to select and change to other desktops, and use the AntiX control center working to control it all, with all the options to configure included on it, no different than if it was fluxbox or jwm or icewm, tuning openbox instead as another desktop option. Dolphin Oracle’s XFCE version of AntiX works, but doesn’t meet that standard, and I’m not saying its bad because of it or anything, no different than loading LXDE or Openbox in and of themselves, but to be part of what I’d consider as the “AntiX environment” it should be selectable and configurable starting from flashdrive boot to where you could change to or from it on the menus, that’s all.

With respect to Lxpanel, it may have changed since I had it working under AntiX 4 years ago, but as I recall it didn’t fit as easily into the AntiX script setups as Tint2 did, or maybe it was because I was trying to run on 512 mb system, and that why I used it in my Openbox setup.

With respect to LxTask, I chose to install it because I expected it should work without any trouble in an Openbox setup, and indeed, to me it’s also a must have app on my AntiX machines. I installed it to see if the menu regeneration was working properly, ie would it appear on the menu and function from the menu after adding it via synaptic.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

If anyone wants to put together a complete antiX openbox setup that uses slim login, do so and I’ll see about either incorporating it on the live iso, or at least as a set of debs.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Hi. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

I’ve tried multiple times to install an Openbox desktop from both the antiX-17.1 netinstall and core releases. However, after installing the software/packages/applications that I want to give me a basic Openbox system, I’m not able to get to the Openbox desktop. I’ve tried using both Slim and LightDM as DMs, but I can’t get to the desktop with either of them. Also, startx doesn’t work for me. I’m stuck at the CLI with no way to advance beyond it.

I’ve also tried following the advice found HERE without any luck…

I didn’t notice anything particular that I needed to do during installation when I got the the “Start/Stop Services” portion of the installation. Can anyone possibly help me?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.