OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice for antiX 32 bit machines?

Forum Forums General Software OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice for antiX 32 bit machines?

• This topic has 51 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated May 14-3:58 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    andyprough

If I remember correctly

LO must be del only after try install “OOo desktop integration”

and if not install “OOO desktop integration” OOo not del LO

On deb9 i simple make (throug alian) “OOo desktop integration” with out usr/bin/soffice
      and use together LO and OOo w/o any problem

No, even if I delete the ‘desktop-integration’ .deb and I rename /usr/bin/soffice to ‘/usr/bin/old-soffice’, when I try to install the openoffice .deb’s, apt tells me it’s going to remove Libreoffice:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
        liblibreoffice-java libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-base-drivers
        libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gtk3
        libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-math libreoffice-writer ure-java

So maybe that’s different since Debian 9? But it looks like there’s more conflicts than just /usr/bin/soffice and desktop-integration to installing both Libreoffice and OpenOffice on the same computer right now.

andyprough

I have to find a few word processor documents to experiment with; in the meantime, OpenOffice was able to open some simple text documents; it’s capable of working with a variety of formats.

Openoffice will open my .docx and .xlsx and .pptx files, but it will not offer to save to those MS Office formats, just to the older .doc, .xls., .ppt. It also does not seem able to open a PDF in OpenOffice Draw, not like LibreOffice can.

Brian Masinick

Yeah, I think some of those reasons were the reasons why I moved from OpenOffice to LibreOffice in the first place.

So what I’ll do is keep this App Image of OpenOffice around for antiX, but for any actual needs I may have in the future I’ll either use LibreOffice or I will go to the local library and endure whatever software they have; last I went to the local library, at least they offer Google Chrome and Firefox on their desktop computers; yeah, it’s still not what we prefer but it’s better than being forced into IE or Edge unless we want to use them.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Mind you, “actual needs” are pretty rare these days for me; it usually has to do with documents associated with tax returns, resorting to a rare need to physically PRINT something, and other unanticipated tasks. I don’t need to purchase a printer when the library will print things for 10 cents a page.

Using any word processor is nothing more than a once or twice a year thing for me (at most).

--
            Brian Masinick

PPC

it will not offer to save to those MS Office formats, just to the older .doc, .xls., .ppt. It also does not seem able to open a PDF in OpenOffice Draw, not like LibreOffice can.

Probably because those features were added to LO after it was forked from OOo. Consider OOo like a slightly underpowered (and also slightly less resource hungry) version of LO – it runs better on older machines, but also allows users to do less with it- if you have no need for compatibility with closed file formats (the ones from Microsoft), don’t need psd editing features, etc AND don’t dislike the “older UI” OOo offers, then it’s perfectly usable. You can also use it to work on a office file on older devices, and then open that file on LO and convert it to .docx, etc…
              I find that there are no really good fully working office suites for underpowered computers- but OOo runs a little better on my netbook than LO… I find OOo’s .appimage file great!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by PPC.
              andyprough

I find that there are no really good fully working office suites for underpowered computers- but OOo runs a little better on my netbook than LO…

Interesting! Are you running the AppImage on the netbook? Is the netbook 64 bit?

ModdIt

If softmaker free office 32 bit will run on antiX 32 bit it is pretty good.
                  Might need to try a couple of versions.

No good asking for help at softmaker if any problems occurr, the ignorance toward
                  users of older devices is very offputting. Standard answer buy a new device..

user2022

So maybe that’s different since Debian 9?

I try test it on work computer (exe/gnu with tde deb11 family)

PPC

Are you running the AppImage on the netbook? Is the netbook 64 bit?

Yes. The appimage is 64bits only.
                      Note to more tech savvy 32bits users – Appimages can be built, and run in 32bits systems- if someone know how to do it, a 32bits OOo Appimage would be great – it would make that office suite easily available for the machines that need it the most, without forcing the removal of LO… (why have both in a 32bits computer? Just in case it’s your only pc, you can use OOo in your daily tasks and, if you need to edit a pdf, or convert your office docs to more modern MS formats- or convert MS docs to openformats, you can use LO)

P.

andyprough

Note to more tech savvy 32bits users – Appimages can be built, and run in 32bits systems- if someone know how to do it, a 32bits OOo Appimage would be great – it would make that office suite easily available for the machines that need it the most, without forcing the removal of LO

I built a 32-bit version of the appimage this morning, you can find it on my same archive page, as OpenOfficex86.AppImage: http://archive.org/download/open-office

I built it on antiX 22 and have only tested it on antiX 22, so I’m not sure if it will work on earlier versions of antiX. It seems to work well and quickly on my 32-bit antiX 22. I don’t know if you have a system to test it on, but if you do, please let me know if it works.

Rantanplan

Hello super @andyprough,

Downloaded your 32-bit AppImage.
                          Makes executable and executed… Very well with antiX 21 32bit Live-usb with 1Go RAM.
                          At first, it warns that the java environment has not found, but it loads.

Thank you very much.

Friendly.

Vive antiX !
                          Vive le Groland !

Rantanplan

Please, note OOo needs java environnement.

LibreOffice no needed java because there’s firebird (relativly recents versions).

bye

Vive antiX !
                            Vive le Groland !

andyprough

Downloaded your 32-bit AppImage.
                              Makes executable and executed… Very well with antiX 21 32bit Live-usb with 1Go RAM.
                              At first, it warns that the java environment has not found, but it loads.

OK very good. You can get rid of that java warning by going to Tools-Options-Java and un-checking “Use a Java runtime environment”.

I’ve tried out a bunch of files I created on LibreOffice, including .docx, and they seem to be opening fine. There’s some minor formatting issues between them, but that’s the same on the 64-bit version of OpenOffice – it’s just really old compared to LibreOffice.

Rantanplan

Yes, all right about java warning : i have noted.

…it’s just really old compared to LibreOffice…

But, perhaps, this appimage will be of service to several people : bravo.

Good evening.

Vive antiX !
                                Vive le Groland !

user2022

But it looks like there’s more conflicts than just /usr/bin/soffice and desktop-integration to installing both Libreoffice and OpenOffice on the same computer right now.

Yes. Not work on deb11 ..

In libreoffice-common control file (or info file in package)

Conflicts: broffice, libreoffice-base (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-base-nogui (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-calc (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-calc-nogui (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), lib
                                  reoffice-draw (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-draw-nogui (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-evolution (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-filter-mobiledev, libreoffice-gnome (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~)
                                  , libreoffice-impress (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-impress-nogui (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-l10n (<< 7.0), libreoffice-l10n-4.3, libreoffice-l10n-4.4, libreoffice-librelogo (<< 1:
                                  7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-math (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-math-nogui (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-report-builder (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql (<< 1:7.0.0~alph
                                  a~), libreoffice-wiki-publisher (<< 1.2.0+LibO5.4.0~rc2), libreoffice-writer (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), libreoffice-writer-nogui (<< 1:7.0.0~alpha~), openoffice.org-unbundled, python3-uno (<< 1:7
                                  .0.0~alpha~)

openoffice.org-unbundled – disable install OOo + Lo on one computer

But 🙂

I found “openoffice.org-unbundled” in /var/lib/dpkg/status file
                                  (“openoffice.org-unbundled” in libreoffice-common section)
                                  and delete “openoffice.org-unbundled” string
                                  after install OOo without “desktop intergation” and OOo run!

It bad advice. Dirty hack 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.