OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice for antiX 32 bit machines?

Forum Forums General Software OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice for antiX 32 bit machines?

• This topic has 51 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated May 14-3:58 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    user2022

Please, note OOo needs java environnement.
      LibreOffice no needed java because there’s firebird (relativly recents versions).

OOo can work without java like Lo

In OOo and LO java need for BASE and for some plugins

user2022

LO 6+ not have QuickStart with system tray icon (from parameters)

OOo have QuickStart from parameters – it good for old computers

ModdIt

Hi user 2022,
          you can call all newer versions of libreoffice with parameters, I normaly only use –norestore

but there are certainly many other possibilitys, please take a look at:

http://help.libreoffice.org/latest/he/text/shared/guide/start_parameters.html
          Parameter can be multiple and chained

To help speed up starting find soffice.rc set hide eula=1 Logo=0.

There is also LibreOffice basic available, too many options to list here.

The extra java needed for base and plugins is a JRE, LO has a list of approved environments in programm
          javavendors.xml open JRE is not in the approved list and has never workded for me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by ModdIt.
          • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by ModdIt.
          PPC

I built a 32-bit version of the appimage

Many thanks, Andy!
            I just tried it out on my 32bits laptop – it works great- just to show my user case (what I usually do at work)- I can have 2 browser tabs open (in Min browser), OOo Writer running, and zzzfm open with some tabs and still I’m using less than 400 Mb or RAM- this means that a 32bits PC with half of Gig of RAM can be used conformably for office work (I usually draw the line at 1 GB of RAM, but 32bits system use less RAM than 64bits ones).

OOo has one advantage over LO, as previously mentioned- the quick start! Basically, it’s a similar trick to the one that MS uses so their Office Apps open instantly – one can optionally enable OOo to be “minimized to the System Tray” – that way it stays partly on RAM and new office docs can be opened almost instantly – it takes Writer 1 second to open , even on a 20 years old 32bits system- making it perfectly usable for modern office work. – This is the only Ooo feature that I miss, that’s not available in LO- it’s great for folks like me that have computers with over 1 Gig of RAM but slow CPU and slow HD (my work computer has a single core and a slow HD, but 3 gig o RAM, so this feature is a god send)- you trade a couple dozen of Mb of free RAM for the ability to instantly launch Office Apps – this is fully optional, and has to be enabled, so there is no extra resource usage, unless you want that feature.

By comparison, LO Writer, on my quad core desktop with and SSD drive, 4Gb of RAM, takes about 3-4 seconds to fire up… hum…

That appimage will stay on my laptop’s hard drive until the day it dies 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by PPC.
            user2022

you can call all newer versions of libreoffice with parameters

Hello, ModdIt!

Уes. I can run LO from command line. And run LO without GUI from OS autostart for more speedly run LO and so on

But in old LO and in OOo any user can use QuickStart from GUI but with new LO users can not use it function like on image

Attachments:
              calciumsodium

Thanks @andyprough for publishing the openoffice appimages. They will be great on my Base systems.

andyprough

But ????

I found “openoffice.org-unbundled” in /var/lib/dpkg/status file
                  (“openoffice.org-unbundled” in libreoffice-common section)
                  and delete “openoffice.org-unbundled” string
                  after install OOo without “desktop intergation” and OOo run!

It bad advice. Dirty hack ????

WOW, you are right, that works! And it IS a dirty hack, hahaha. We’ll have to uninstall OpenOffice everytime we want to upgrade LibreOffice, and then re-do the hack, or something like that.

Yes, I would agree that this is definitely bad advice and others should not do this. But it does work… I wonder if there’s some way to do this more appropriately and permanently?

UPDATE: It did not work long for me. After a few hours I went to update the system and apt was requiring to remove some of the OpenOffice packages, including OpenOffice Writer. So I think you still need the OpenOffice AppImage if you also want LibreOffice on your system.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by andyprough.
                  andyprough

I just tried it out on my 32bits laptop – it works great- just to show my user case (what I usually do at work)- I can have 2 browser tabs open (in Min browser), OOo Writer running, and zzzfm open with some tabs and still I’m using less than 400 Mb or RAM- this means that a 32bits PC with half of Gig of RAM can be used conformably for office work

That’s awesome!

If we keep this up we are going to revive a bunch of ancient computers and we’ll be accused of harming the global economy by not purchasing shiny new laptops.

They will be great on my Base systems.

Glad to hear it. I’ll try to keep putting new versions on that archive.org page when new versions of OpenOffice become available. If you see a new version of OpenOffice and I haven’t updated the AppImages, leave me a note here and I should see it.

user2022

I wonder if there’s some way to do this more appropriately and permanently?

I think need write to debian bug tracker

It did not work long for me

Yes. For deb11 it is bad advice 🙂

On debian 9 i use libreoffice-common_1%3a6.1.5-3+deb10u4~bpo9+1_all.deb and libreoffice-common_5.2.7-1+deb9u11_all.deb
                      it conflict with “openoffice-unbundled”
                      OpenOffice provides “openoffice.org-unbundled”
                      And LO and OOo work fine together on deb9

PS:
                      Screenshot about OOo system requirement
                      Computer IC-III-1200, RAM 3*128, HDD ide 5400 rpm
                      deb9 with LXDE need 80 mb ram
                      for work QuickStart need 97 mb ram
                      Writer with empty file need 106 mb ram
                      OOo writer run time (with QuickStart in tray) on 22 year old computer = 3.5 sec

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by user2022.
                      Attachments:
                      andyprough

PS:
                        Screenshot about OOo system requirement
                        Computer IC-III-1200, RAM 3*128, HDD ide 5400 rpm
                        deb9 with LXDE need 80 mb ram
                        for work QuickStart need 97 mb ram
                        Writer with empty file need 106 mb ram
                        OOo writer run time (with QuickStart in tray) on 22 year old computer = 3.5 sec

Is that your non-SSE2 computer that you are running Pale Moon and SeaMonkey on?

user2022

Is that your non-SSE2 computer that you are running Pale Moon and SeaMonkey on?

yes 🙂

user2022

It did not work long for me. After a few hours I went to update the system and apt was requiring to remove some of the OpenOffice packages, including OpenOffice Writer

I try made through alien alternative deb-package for himself

when OOo from official-site installed

root%exe:~# cd /opt/
                            root%exe:/opt# mkdir -p /tmp/opt
                            root%exe:/opt# cp -R openoffice4/ /tmp/opt/
                            root@exe:/opt# cd /tmp/
                            root@exe:/tmp# ls -la opt/
                            drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 ноя 10 17:36 .
                            drwxrwxrwt 11 root root 4096 ноя 10 17:36 ..
                            drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 ноя 10 17:37 openoffice4
                            root@exe:/tmp# tar -zcf openoffice4_13-i386.tar.gz opt
                            root@exe:/tmp# apt-get install alien
                            root@exe:/tmp# alien -d openoffice4_13-i386.tar.gz
                            openoffice4-13-i386_1-2_all.deb generated

if updates kill official OOo i try install this self-made deb

tiredgeezer303

andyprough I was able to get the appimage up and running on ‘The Old Mac’ (32 bit intel, 2GB RAM, SSD). Overall everything seems to work well!

I will note some slow performance when I had it open which caused long pauses opening menus and switching between OpenOffice and my terminal. I will keep trying it – I’m sure that is partially to do with the age and condition of my system and the fact that I had two other programs open – a terminal and a screenshot tool.

Are there other areas of this build you’re interesting in seeing how things run on older systems?

Attachments:
                              PPC

After a strange hardware failure, my office desktop (a single core with 3 GB of RAM and a Nvidea card) stopped working, and now I’m using my crappy 64bits single core atom/1Gb of shared RAM netbook as my daily driver, connected to my mouse/keyboard/monitor/printer. It lags a bit (less powerfull CPU and less than 1/3 of RAM, very slow drive) but is perfecly usable with the same software I tested on my 32bits laptop: Min browser running with 2 tabs open, zzzfm, geany, and 1 text document open on OpenOffice.org’s Appimage, with quick start running on the taskmanager. OOo takes over 60 seconds to start (this netbook has a very slow HD), but after that, it’s smooth sailying all the way- it’s faster than LO, opening protected documents, and also saving them (it does warn about possible incompatibilities between ODT versions). Usage of resources, on antiX 21 64bits full: CPU: 60-69%, RAM 386 MB- last time that I worked on a desktop computer that used a propriatary OS, it was a way better machine, and overall it was way slower performing my dayly tasks- I wonder how it would have behaved if I ran this setup, on it?

For people, that, like me, need to use a pretty decent Word Processor, on a crap device, antiX + OOo is clearly the way to go. Strangely enough, Min Browser uses less RAM/CPU than Seamonkey, while displaying the same webpages.
                                OOo has a plus- if you use a dark GTK theme, unlike LO, it applies that theme to Writer’s page- so you get dark grey page with white characters- much easier on the eyes. LO is still my prefered Office Suite, but, hey, beggers can’t be choosers! OOo just is faster, on slower hardware!

P.

blur13

you are probably aware, but its possible to change the colors in libre office to a “dark mode” manually.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/reply/86804/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.