OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice for antiX 32 bit machines?

Forum Forums General Software OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice for antiX 32 bit machines?

• This topic has 51 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated May 14-3:58 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    andyprough

I’ve uploaded the new 4.1.14 version of the OpenOffice 32-bit AppImage to my Archive.org page here: http://archive.org/details/open-office
      If you need a faster download, I’ve currently got it on my Mega.nz page here (but it won’t be there forever): http://mega.nz/file/3JliBALQ#-6p7sBAaVC1IqW20WUN85KI2B3UATYtbqkSsXIqJOiw

If you want to build it yourself or inspect or fork the source, it is here: http://github.com/andyprough/OpenOfficeAppImagex86
      To build it, git clone the repo onto a 32-bit install of antiX (works in a VM), and run “make”. If it runs successfully you’ll get an “OpenOffice.AppImage” file in your source folder that you can then run like a normal AppImage. I’ve renamed mine to OpenOfficex86.AppImage just to clarify what it is.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by andyprough.
      andfree

I’ve uploaded the new 4.1.14 version of the OpenOffice 32-bit AppImage to my Archive.org page here: http://archive.org/details/open-office

Hi. Is it still available? I see no seeders.

PPC

Is it still available?

The mega link provided by andy seems to be still up, and the arquive.org page does provide a direct download to the appimage…
          There may be no torrents available, but there are 2 other ways to download the file…or is there a problem that I’m missing?

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
          RJP

OpenOffice last release has made year 2019, so I would not install OpenOffice.

http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/

andfree

The direct download worked. The downloaded appimage works, too. Many thanks.

PPC

There are still bugfix versions of O.O., but it’s basically been replaced by it’s much more modern fork, LibreOffice.
                The point of this thread is not having an up to date office suite, but rather having a suite that works well in 32bits devices, that often are too under-powered to run LibreOffice… In my 32bits laptop, I can tell you that running antiX without desktop icons and OpenOffice uses about 105Mb of RAM, and it both loads and saves very large document files many times faster than L.O.. Also, O.O. still had the quick lancher system system tray applet, that keeps the suit read to run, almost instantly, on a single click. Even if you do not use that feature, I can say that O.O. loads 3-4 times faster on my 32bits laptop than L.O. does.
                So, it’s a compromise between having a 20 years old computer as usable for office work as a modern machine (but running an older and a less compatible office suite) or a more secure, much more feature rich and more compatible office suit (that runs like a snail on under-powered 32bits machines, and even under-powered 64bits machines like my netbook).

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
                Brian Masinick

I don’t even need an office suite for every day use any more, and usually when I do, the Google Web-based office suite gets the job done; I use LibreOffice to compare the results to Google Docs, Google Sheets, or whichever specific component is used, and while they’re not 100% identical, for fairly simple stuff, any of them suffice.

Having said that, suppose you only need a rich text word processor? In that case there are many options available that are even lighter than using the no longer supported Open Office, for example, abiword is adequate for a simple rich text document, mupdf, evince – Document (PostScript, PDF) viewer,
                  ghostscript – interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF, gv – PostScript and PDF viewer for X
                  ted – Easy rich text processor, wordgrinder – simple word processor for writing first drafts

These are not the only tools, but they do demonstrate that there are multiple ways to gain access to lightweight accessible tools.
                  There are also converters to convert various formats, for example, converting from either PDF or doc/docx to txt, and others; these are all very minimal command-based tools.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.