Opinion(s) about antiX 21 “Grup Yorum”

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Opinion(s) about antiX 21 “Grup Yorum”

• This topic has 34 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-10:32 am by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    PPC

First, let me start by saying:
      -Wow

I just tested antiX 21 full runit 64 bits, running in live mode on Virtualbox- and it’s insanely fast, running on 1 gb of RAM, in a single core.
      -Is it fast? Check

I did something I seldom do- I tested first the localized version, selecting pt-pt.
      -Is it localized? Only 99,99% in pt-pt 🙂 so, check!
      Probably most Portuguese speaking users are from Brazil, and I haven’t tested the pt-br localization, but let me just say this (for most users I suggest using, as default File Manager spacefm/zzzfm)
      -The menu is fully localized, as is zzzfm, and the scripts/apps to search for applications (app-select), add icons to the toolbar, set time/date, change wallpapers, change screen resolution, set screen blanking time, install new apps, select wi-fi management applications (ceni/connman), wi-fi manager (connman’s cmst is now localized- not in a perfect way, but fully usable to non English speaking folks)- what else do you want?
      So, to perform any of the above tasks, you don’t need to understand a single word of English (you should, but not everyone is privileged enough to learn a second language, or even if they do, learn English)

-The wallpapers are slick- they look really professional- so, check that too

-The full version comes with very recent versions firefox-esr and libreoffice- so it’s usable, out of the box, for most common tasks. You can read pdf files (and edit them, in LibreOffice Draw), listen to music files, watch almost any possible video format imaginable, view almost all image file formats in existence, update the system with a single click, or install any of the tens of thousands of available applications, all without ever having to type a single command in the terminal- usability? Check!

-System resources usage? What system resources usage? CPU seems to be sleeping all the time, if you are not doing anything more complex than just typing text. RAM usage? Hum, maybe there’s some half dozen of mb of RAM being used, when comparing to the previous (19.X) version.- Compare that with 99,9% of all other Operating Systems…- So check that too.

-Is it worth the upgrade, from antiX 19.X? Yes if you want to have a more modern, more secure, better localized system. But, if you’re happy with antiX 19.X, do stick with it- it’s still supported for a very long time… For me, as soon as I back up all my computers, I’ll be upgrading them all, but I’m in no rush…

Small things that need improvement:
      -I said that antiX was 99.9% localized to my language- there’s an exception to that- Firefox-esr and LibreOffice still do have to be “manually” localized to any language other than English- It’s a simple process, using Package Installer, and Xecure is on the fast track to solving that- with a script that allows users to localize those, and more apps to their native tongue with a single click… Just give it time, and you won’t even have that to complain about!
      -As far as I noticed, no GUI .deb package installer… I may have missed that in my very cursory review- if that’s the case, you can solve that by installing a GUI .deb package installer (there are some choices, available, I even worked in “debinstaller”, a GUI package installer that it’s available over at antiX-contribs).

[EDIT: I mean that I found no GUI way to install .deb files from a file manager]

-I’ve read that some apps don’t install from package installer- just give it time, to allow for those minor quirks to be ironed out.. antiX is almost a one man show (there have been way worst outcomes from the 2 biggest tech companies in the world- like Blue Screens of Death during the OS presentations, Notches hiding system menus, etc, etc)

Truly, this is a masterpiece!

Thanks for this anticapitalista, and the rest of the team!

P.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by PPC.
      ModdIt

GUI .deb package installer synaptic is there in full version.
        My comment on package installer is not a complaint,
        just a heads up to my experience while starting to setup a stable master stick. And passing on what I will definitely be asked
        about. like why is latest Libreoffice not latest, same for Gimp.
        I often have to answer some very pointed questions when looking after users, also worried some reviewer will call antix crap
        for above.

I am really happy at all the improvement this release brings, any problems are there to be noted and fixed thats all.

I not only had crazy experience with windoze on own computer, Manjaro failed updates and gave non recoverable black
        screen several times. Mint too, not to mention some KDE experiences.

PPC

GUI .deb package installer synaptic is there in full version.

Sorry, I meant “GUI .deb file installer”- meaning- if the user clicks a .deb file in a file manager it’s installed using a dedicated GUI application (instead of having to use the terminal to perform “sudo apt install /full/path/to/name_of_file.deb”…

P.

Xecure

-I said that antiX was 99.9% localized to my language- there’s an exception to that- Firefox-esr and LibreOffice still do have to be “manually” localized to any language other than English- It’s a simple process, using Package Installer, and Xecure is on the fast track to solving that- with a script that allows users to localize those, and more apps to their native tongue with a single click… Just give it time, and you won’t even have that to complain about!

I am working on a few improvements on locale-antix, but meanwhile you can still do
            sudo apt install $(check-lang-support)
            and it will offer to install what the program considers are missing language support packages.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
            General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

marcelocripe

PPC, I agree with everything you wrote except:

… wi-fi manager (connman’s cmst is now localized- not in a perfect way, but fully usable to non English speaking folks)- what else do you want?

My opinion is “I want perfection in translations”, it’s the least I can do, make translations as perfect as the antiX operating system. Even if I can’t achieve perfect translations, I will keep trying to achieve as much as 100% as possible.

Until last night, I managed to proofread/translate up to sentence 378 of 893 of CMST on http://translate.lxqt-project.org/translate/andrew-bibb/cmst/.

I realized that we have new .desktop files in ISO sysVinit and Runit, so we need to create ways that all .desktop files can be proofread/translated in all possible languages. This way these improvements or fixes can go into the updates and the next antiX ISOs.

marcelocripe
              (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

PPC, eu concordo com tudo que você escreveu, exceto:

… wi-fi manager (connman’s cmst is now localized- not in a perfect way, but fully usable to non English speaking folks)- what else do you want?

A minha opinião é “Eu quero a perfeição nas traduções”, é o mínimo que eu posso fazer, tornar as traduções tão perfeitas quanto o sistema operacional antiX. Mesmo que eu não consiga realizar traduções perfeitas, eu continuarei tentando atingir o máximo possível do 100%.

Até ontem à noite, eu consegui revisar/traduzir até a frase 378 de 893 do CMST no sítio http://translate.lxqt-project.org/translate/andrew-bibb/cmst/.

Eu percebi que temos arquivos .desktop novos na ISO sysVinit e Runit, por isso, precisamos criar meios de todos os arquivos .desktop poderem ser revisados/traduzidos em todos os idiomas possíveis. Desta forma, estas melhorias ou correções poderão entrar nas atualizações e nas próximas ISOs do antiX.

marcelocripe
              (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

manyroads

I just tried installing antiX21 full version and experienced numerous problems with the Package Installer. Installation of the following hung and broke things badly enough such that I had to run sudo apt --fix-broken install
                The offending apps were:
                1. dunst
                2. skype
                3. zoom

Other problems included:
                1. neither xfce option installed, at all
                2. GIMP would not install

I am certain that these errors came about because I removed numerous standard functions… sorry.

Pax vobiscum,
                Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
                "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
                dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
                20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

PPC

I’ve been testing antiX 21 runit a bit more:

The cons:
                  -Yes, it seems that some packages do refuse to install via Package Installer (anticapitalista already opened a thread to get more info on the problematic packages). Since antiX 21 is based on Debian 11, some problems with packages was probably to be expected…

@anticapitalista- if you are reading this- Is it possible to make the latest freeoffice available from the PI, please?

The bug that, when you try to open the folder where firefox just downloaded a file, instead of opening the regular file manager, the “find file” window opens instead, seems to be back… this tiny but annoying bug seems to plage antiX since the dawn of time 🙁 EDIT: problem solved, at least for zzzfm, in the latest update
                  – I really found no GUI way to install .deb files- gdebi is no longer provided, because it has become increasingly unreliable (the contribs-goodies .deb file, from antiX-contribs git, that included debinstaller errors out when installing using “sudo apt install …”- once I manually extract debinstaller and use it o install the .deb file, then it installs ok… WTH?- deb installer is just a GUI for “sudo apt install”!)

The pros:
                  -Runit is really impressive- it’s lightening fast!
                  -The extent of the localization never fails to impress me!
                  -There many great and modern looking themes available
                  -Having a .desktop to launch “seamonkey mail” would be great- it’s a much better looking mail app than claws AND it includes a very nice GUI Calendar (with alarms)!- probably most users are unaware that seamonkey add both of these functionalities out of the box to antiX

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by PPC.
                  stevesr0

Hi all,

(Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post in. Moderator please move if that is the case.)

I tried out Antix 21 (full) version as a live usb, a few hours ago.

Looked at several repos which only had a runit directory before finding one (Los Angeles) which also listed sysvinit.

Built with the Antix19 live USB maker.

This machine is a relatively recent vintage gaming laptop with an 8th generation i5 processor and integrated intel and separate nvidia GPUs.

First try ended at a command prompt. Used demo/demo to log in and then attempted startx with failure (didn’t think to try slimski).
                    Second try, used “failsafe” – which got me to a graphic desktop without working mouse (internal or usb).
                    Third try, noticed that there (now?) seemed to be an option to load a 1 November version as well as a 31 October version. Selected 1 November and without setting failsafe got to a graphic desktop (but the resolution was not different than the prior “failsafe” try). A usb mouse worked and I explored the packages somewhat in synaptic.

(I was looking to see if Pipewire was included; no, it wasn’t listed.)

I will wait awhile before further testing. Happy to try things out if people have suggestions.

stevesr0

Xecure

This machine is a relatively recent vintage gaming laptop with an 8th generation i5 processor and integrated intel and separate nvidia GPUs.

Did you select the modern (5.10) kernel (in the Advanced boot options) before booting? I would remove all machine state folder in /antiX/state and boot again in normal boot after selecting the correct kernel.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                      General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

ModdIt

PPC wrote,
                        Sorry, I meant “GUI .deb file installer”- meaning- if the user clicks a .deb file in a file manager it’s installed using a dedicated GUI application (instead of having to use the terminal to perform “sudo apt install /full/path/to/name_of_file.deb”…
                        Understand now, I found gdebi pretty useless.

Edit, being lazy to type I just tested a bash alias: alias inst=’sudo apt install’
                        enter inst then drag and drop works good

That choked on installing Libreoffice downloaded from LO Org, had to use dpkg -i *deb for that. LO is a lot of debs to drag in so not surprised.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by ModdIt.
                        ModdIt

Zoom, mentioned by manyroads is a show stopper to further active use here, requirement for the university students,

Known since yesterday 10 minutes before a seminar call.

Luckily it worked on an MX I had handy. .-)

@steves0, please stop harping on about pipewire, it was explained several times that it is unstable and distorts sound.
                          You want it so bad, recommend DIY, get it working so well that listening on a studio setup is not a pain in the ears
                          and others might join your requests.

For now devs helpers and users have plenty of work to do, Promotion, i.e. introduction to users, usergroups.
                          Setup masters to pass on and most important squashing bugs….

PPC

-The bug that, when you try to open the folder where firefox just downloaded a file, instead of opening the regular file manager, the “find file” window opens instead, seems to be back… this tiny but annoying bug seems to plage antiX since the dawn of time

The latest zzzfm update solved this, at least when running zzzfm as default file manager! Thanks!

I haven’t tested the Package Installer updates, but, anyone with problems in antiX 21 should run an update, that will probably fix some loose ends…

P.S.- I just noticed that, by default, zzzfm shows hidden files- probably that’s an option that would be better set to off (because, you know, noobies)

As always the Dev team does an almost flawless job, and is lightening fast trying to fix both major and minor problems!

P.

ModdIt

Not getting any updates as yet, tried several german repos. Most are run by volunteers and they
                              will be very busy as semesters have started, mostly remote learning.
                              ZOOM ing in on one of my user problems.

The deb 64 bit version from zoom website will install, starts ok but at present I have nobody to
                              connect to so unable to test further. Have to wait until some of the students get home.

Not at all sure if what zoom pulls in is all nice with antiX. Maybe i will setup user sticks with
                              naked system. For sure a lot of personal data gets transferred to USA so non compliant with EU
                              regulations unless user specificaly agrees to waive his GDPR rights.

inst ‘/home/demo/Live-usb-storage/zoom_amd64.deb’
                              Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
                              Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut… Fertig
                              Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
                              Hinweis: »zoom« wird an Stelle von »/home/demo/Live-usb-storage/zoom_amd64.deb« gewählt.
                              Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
                              dconf-cli gir1.2-ibus-1.0 ibus ibus-data libegl1-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx
                              libibus-1.0-5 libxcb-xtest0 python3-ibus-1.0
                              Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
                              ibus-clutter ibus-doc
                              Empfohlene Pakete:
                              ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 im-config
                              Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
                              dconf-cli gir1.2-ibus-1.0 ibus ibus-data libegl1-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx
                              libibus-1.0-5 libxcb-xtest0 python3-ibus-1.0 zoom

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by ModdIt.
                              manyroads

I’ll use MX for now. I ran into enough problems on this release of antiX, that I’ll wait for the product to stabilize before attempting it again. Most of the business applications software packages I rely upon do not work well enough for me to install & use this version yet. (Most have already been reported in other posts.)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
                                Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
                                "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
                                dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
                                20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

sybok

[off topic]
                                  @ModdIt regarding ‘zoom’ testing:
                                  I once had a problem with a particular version of ‘zoom’ (antiX-19.b2_x64-full, testing) related to sound.
                                  My girlfriend was upset (i.e. pissed off) because I did update it without any testing and she wanted to connect to a paid seminar.
                                  Upgrade to a newer version of ‘zoom’ (I believe that it is/was 5.8.0.16) solved the problem later on.

Therefore, I update these external tools/programs bit more carefully now, I keep the older working packages previously downloaded, and I try test the new version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.