Opinion(s) about antiX 21 “Grup Yorum”

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Opinion(s) about antiX 21 “Grup Yorum”

• This topic has 34 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-10:32 am by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

I’ll use MX for now. I ran into enough problems on this release of antiX, that I’ll wait for the product to stabilize before attempting it again. Most of the business applications software packages I rely upon do not work well enough for me to install & use this version yet. (Most have already been reported in other posts.)

Are you using sysVinit or runit version?
      If runit, perhaps try the sysVinit one and let us know if you get the same issues.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure

I’ll use MX for now. I ran into enough problems on this release of antiX, that I’ll wait for the product to stabilize before attempting it again. Most of the business applications software packages I rely upon do not work well enough for me to install & use this version yet. (Most have already been reported in other posts.)

Open a thread explaining the problems in detail, so they can be fixed.

If the problems are related to package installer, then pinpointing the issues can lead to a fix.

I cannot understand this “it has issues, someone has to fix them” without explaining a bit more in detail so that they can be fixed.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

stevesr0

Xecure’s suggestion to boot using the “modern” kernel fixed the boot problem. Thank you, Xecure for the help.

I didn’t touch the /Antix/state variables (do these persist automagically when booting from a live usb?).

The few sites I have tried in the web browser came up ok (may need to futz with the resolution) and youtube audio is fine.

Haven’t tried Zoom or Jitsi yet, but I will report back.

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by stevesr0.
          PPC

For folks that don’t pay attention to this thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/package-installer-woes/#post-69944

anticapitalista is working hard on solving the problem of apps that do not install in Package Installer (some do already install), and editing the original post both to list apps that do not install and apps that already do install ok…

For all those that use apps like GIMP, the latest Libreoffice, zoom, etc, I would advise delay installing antiX 21 until these problems are listed as solved, by anticapitalista… or risk manually installing those apps

as always, thanks for all your effort, anti

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by PPC.
            oops

… Tested antiX21-runit, with lightdm (for multi-users uses) and antix-21 runit works like a charm.
              The only things I have done is:

# For the users list, added file: /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf :
              [Seat:*]
              greeter-hide-users=false

and:

cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/90-mandatory.d/enable-reboot-poweroff.pkla
              [Enable LightDM reboot and poweroff (logind)]
              Identity=unix-user:*
              Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot;org.freedesktop.login1.power-off;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate
              ResultAny=yes
              ResultInactive=yes
              ResultActive=yes
              ModdIt

@sybok, thanks for tips,
                we never used zoom up until the international university demanded it yesterday. School used other applications,
                no real standard here in Germany.

Once I have tested on antiX 21 I can post again. Need another webcam to do that.

ModdIt

PPC you are right, be patient, especially for the inexperienced.
                  But I am really enjoying the new version and appreciate the complexity anticapitalista is facing.

risk manually installing those apps, no risk no fun :-)

Running live without persistence, if things do not work as expected I just reboot.
                  If good and want to keep changes can remaster. If I really mess up just setup a new stick.

That flexibility on reasonably powerful machines is one of the many reasons antiX is such a great distro
                  Experiment and learn without regret or tears.

GIMP, latest LibreOffice, work nicely Latest Claws Mail too and Ungoogled Chromium and LibreWolf
                  Zoom still ??.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by ModdIt.
                  • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by ModdIt.
                  Anonymous

Thanks Team Good Work

Installed antiX-21 base runit last night works just dandy.
                    After running repo manager repos work just fine. (Lan)
                    Removed slim tty login only.
                    Linux antix21 5.14.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT liquorix 5.14-18.1~bullseye (2021-11-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    i3-Gaps (source)
                    Kitty (curl)
                    asus-wmi-sensors (git)
                    dmenu
                    nitrogen
                    dunst
                    mpd
                    ncmpcpp
                    cava
                    exa
                    waterfox-classic

Thank You

Rey_Aztk

Hi everybody. I’m from Mexico and maybe my english is not so good… but I will try to explain me.

Ok, congratulation for the new version. I can rescue my pentium d with 992MB of RAM since AntiX 19.x, and with this version, the same happiness.

But 2 observations:

First: The installer. The part of the partition… damn I was about to format and eliminate my home partition. It is not intuitive and clear. It is confusing. I liked more than the previous version.

Second: The file manager. It does not have the mosaic view option. I do not like to see the small images. I have to open them to see them well. I know you may be able to install another file manager, but I like Spacefm or PCManfm. Now that the project has been resumed with ZZZ, you have to improve it.

Third: A problem with FreeOffice…but that have own thread.

It’s all.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Rey_Aztk.

Dura Lex Sed Lex

Xecure

First: The installer.

I am not the developer, but I think this change came becacues the installer was very limited, and there was a lack of options (you needed to partition using a separate program). This change is an attempt to make the installer ore powerful, and be able to manage any partition to create very complex installation options, like btrfs file systems, multi-encryption, etc. I agree it is less intuitive, but it is far better for advanced users (who have been demanding changes for a few years no; not me, but some users were not happy at all with the previous limitations). If you know of a good UX designer that knows QT and C++ and can help improve the installer GUI, send them to http://github.com/gazelle-installer/gazelle-installer. The devs are good programmers, but not the best in UI/UX.

Second: The file manager. It does not have the mosaic view option.

One of the views was removed, to reduce complexity in the project and reduce resource use.
                        You can have:
                        A) Compact mode (Modo Compacto) instead of Detailed mode.
                        B) Big Icons (Iconos Grandes)
                        C) Thumbnails (Miniaturas)
                        You can get to it in “Ver > Panel 1 ver > Estilo”. You can even combine all three, to get a better experience.

As you said, you can install SPaceFM + desktop-defaults-spacefm-antix to recover the previous experience with SpaceFM.

Third: A problem with FreeOffice…but that have own thread.

I will check the i386 issue with antiX 21, but freeoffice is Proprietary and version 2018 is no longer supported. Nothing we can do about this.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Anonymous

By the way about secure boot this is how my main is setup. Running ArchLabs & antiX-21 and not a window to be seen.

Launch CSM = enabled
                          Fastboot = enabled
                          Secure boot = enabled
                          OS type = other os

ciphercat

It was insanely easy to install. I actually found that Ubuntu had more problems during installation than antiX did – I had to fix various issues with the screen, wake/sleep not working, graphics drivers and coddle the package manager until it worked.

antiX lets my 10-year-old laptop run as if it were brand new. The fans never turn on unless I’ve got a large number of tabs open in Firefox… unlike my much more modern Ubuntu laptop, which whirs when I’m not even using it.

My only criticism is that the default themes for IceWM, Fluxbox etc don’t look very modern and the login screen in particular doesn’t look good at all, but I downloaded a theme from the internet which helped.

olsztyn

My only criticism is that the default themes for IceWM, Fluxbox etc don’t look very modern and the login screen in particular doesn’t look good at all, but I downloaded a theme from the internet which helped.

I had to do the same, in order to fix looks. For IceWM I ended up using Clearlooks desktop theme with Adwaita. IceWM theme I downloaded from Internet Quiescent Medium and changed login Slimski theme to Default, from antiX theme, also changing the interim background.
                              I also think the initial aesthetic choices were not the best but these are easy things to change to improve looks. The most important to me is Runit 21 seems the most efficient antiX ever, with the smallest memory footprint and appears to be faster than before and with great service manager.
                              I wish it came with hardened kernels for additional security but cannot ask too much…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

ModdIt

Was told of a problem with zoom yesterday, microphone not working correctly, stuttering sound.
                                Not so good during an online seminar.

This is critical for many as it is becoming more likely that students will be back in home schooling very soon.
                                some countrys they already are. International university demands zoom usage, probably others.

What how why ?.

Found the package installer pulled vers. 5.8.3.145
                                The deb on Zoom US Website is 5.8.4.210

So I updated.
                                We are in ICEWM.
                                Downloaded the package, entered sudo apt install in the terminal, clicked hold and pulled package to terminal
                                using rox, the package name and path are automagicaly correct that no effort way. Pressed enter and installed package.

Test: Site refused Login, Insecure browser, latest FF from Package installer.

Known lag between Mozilla release and a version becoming available in debian repo.
                                This is definitely not a specific antiX or package installer problem. Not a complaint, more a quick fix.

Downloaded FF from Mozilla, unpacked the archive. Click on the cogwheel in the folder will start firefox.
                                Before doing so I disconnected from internet, removed some hidden extensions from Browser/features.
                                In this case a study-pre installed, screenshot utility. Updater, may be a remote settings updater, since I started
                                removing that my settings have remained as i wanted..
                                Renamed, crash reporter, updater and pingsender. do not delete, moz is getting smarter, it will not start.
                                Set search to duck, disabled rest. Switched off the allow to send data and install studies, both are set allow.

If the browser is started with an internet connection you have no chance to opt out from the immediate data transfer
                                and within seconds a study setup may be installed.

Network reconnected, seems that the setup is now working as expected. And no Huge network load on first start.

Not essential.
                                I will move Firefox folder in to home, dot the folder name to hide it, add to personal menu, then task bar.

On a test with out disconnecting internet. Big blip in conky for send and receive.

See about:studies: i got
                                Completed studies: Impact study for Total Cookie Protection (TCP)•Complete

Interesting study name as a ton of cookies were set immeditely by moz. guess they do not mean their cookies only
                                those from non paying sites or similar.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by ModdIt. Reason: clarity, spelling
                                entropyagent

Hi Antixers, thanks for the new release.

Am I imagining it, or does AntiX 21 runit 64-bit GUI installer really struggle with installing to LVM (prepared LVM root and LVM swap, in my case)?

I tried a few times (had to install lvm2) but it seemed to never got past 2-3% complete.

sdb                       8:16   0 232.9G  0 disk 
                                  ├─sdb1                    8:17   0    34G  0 part 
                                  ├─sdb2                    8:18   0 156.7G  0 part 
                                  ├─sdb3                    8:19   0  42.1G  0 part 
                                  │ ├─vgsam250d2-lvswap01 253:4    0   4.1G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
                                  │ └─vgsam250d2-lvroot01 253:5    0    15G  0 lvm  /

I may have complicated things by not wanting to install a bootloader, as I have another install that handles grubby work.

Has anyone achieved this? You could save me a lot of pain by just telling me it’s never going to work with Antix21 installer.

I thought perhaps I might be trying something impossible, but a slackware 15 RC live disk installed OK.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.