Opinion(s) about antiX 21 “Grup Yorum”

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Opinion(s) about antiX 21 “Grup Yorum”

• This topic has 34 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-10:32 am by PPC.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    lapswimmer

@entropyagent: re installing on LVM:

I too attempted installing 21 on an LVM, though swap was an existing regular swap partition. I found the install stopped at 8 to 12%, failing to mount /dev/vgname-lvname. In my case, I used vg name of os and an lv name of antix. The lvm2 installed (from Debian) seems to put the symbolic names in /dev/vgname/lvname (NOT using a dash, but subdirectory structure). In my case, I formatted the lvm as ext4 in another linux since that had not been done. Could have done it from the antiX live session by referring to the right /dev/dm-#. Then in the live session I provided a symbolic link to the right dm-# from /dev/os-antix (generic /dev/vgname-lvname). I was able to complete installation. I choose NOT to install boot code since I have a more active but slow Linux installation on the computer already. That Linux was able to find the two initrd and vmlinuz files and add them to my grub choices. On booting, /dev/os-antix appears not to have been found and booting failed.

Finding and fixing wherever it is that the old /dev/vgname-lvname convention is assumed or getting all the lvm2 drivers to also produce /dev names in that form or finding a right version of lvm2 is beyond me, but I suspect it is doable.

Best

entropyagent

@entropyagent: Could have done it from the antiX live session by referring to the right /dev/dm-#.

Hi lapswimmer, thanks for the feedback.

I was feeling a bit lonely…Perhaps installing to lvm partitions is a bit of a niche use-case.

I am struggling to remember what I did – it was *days* ago. And some things were possibly not necessary.

I think I gave up on trying to get past 2-3% completed with my “bare-metal” install to lvm partitions. I did not think of trying “the right /dev/dm-#” method, not sure I was even aware of such things then.

So, my plan was to complete an install to “real” partitions (inside a VM, so avoid much GPARTED partition-shuffling) then copy the completed install to lvm partitions (in a what might be called a “Real Machine”).

This seems to have worked, though, not unexpectedly, there is some tidying to do.

It’s perhaps worth mentioning that the install was most insistent that “A root partition of at least 5.4 Gb is required”
        That’s not unreasonable, and good to know at the start of the install, rather than near the end. However, the announcement in
        http://antixlinux.com/about/ says “Installation to hard drive requires a minimum 5.0GB hard disk size.”

I am still not sure I have the grub/initrd arrangement set up optimally – not doubt the next kernel upgrade will let me know.

joaopaulo

I have a netbook with intel atom n455, 2 gb of ram and 320 gb hard drive.
          I’m new in antix and i only have one opinion, the best distribution for old pc’s.

madibi

I like to recover old pc (for my standards the new ones are 8 years old, while the old ones are >15 years old.

Usage objectives

a. installation on old or very old computers,
            b. support of office programs,
            c. internet surfing,
            d. possibility to play online live blitz chess on the internet,
            e. wine,
            f. other, mainly Skype, Zoom and remote / smart working programs.

Installation

Very good, the fastest I know.

Post installation

The new users need a learning curve.
            Some possible obstacles:

1. b43 driver
            with antix 21 sometimes there is a prob of very low speed of the internet connection. In the forum you can find a quick fix. According to my researches this is NOT a specific Antix 21 prob, instead other distro have the same (e.g. sparky and others)

2. sound
            I went crazy for the microphone setting mainly because I’m not familiar with alsa-sound. It was necessary for me in order to use skype (or zoom). After the installation of pulseaudio, I could make all working perfectly.

3. Internet surfing
            I had some probs in surfing some webpages.
            Then thank to PPC’s advice I unlocked the adblock and I could surf my preferite sites.
            (NB: part of my probs in setting the mic was related to the fact that I tried to test it in the following page http://it.mictests.com/ , that unfortunately was blocked by the adblock)

4. MacOS look
            I like very much the MacOS look, so I learned how to change the settings of JWM, in order to get my goal. Now Antix 21 is perfect to my taste and needs 🙂

5. Windows look
            It’s a couple of days that I test the FT10 patch done by the staff of Antix, after the idea of PPC.
            The install was with no probs at all, the look is win 10 like (familiar to a lot of people, not so much for me :-)).
            This is a fantastic job that ease the switch to linux to all the people that at the moment is wondering whether to buy a new hw.
            The attention to detail is good.
            The unique little problem is that in the menu, the name of the groups of programs (e.g.: Accessiories, Development, etc., is still in English, while the programs names are rightly translated in Italian.

Others

Excellent instructions for use in the FAQ.
            It is not user friendly, compares to other Debian derivates – this is offset by the friendliness of the forum :-).
            For the rest, after 4 years of work with it, first with 17, after with 19, I have never had any problems, on the contrary: its live-snapshot is the easiest to accept for the various PCs, in this way it is an excellent tool for any assistance / repairs to third parties.
            It also supports very old PCs without SSE: in its repo there is an ad hoc Palemoon.
            This is the distro that consumes the least ram ever. Strangely when I play live blitz chess on the internet, the cpu consumption is higher than that of q4os on the same HW, even though q4os has double the ram usage.

My vote: 10/10. And again I thank anticapitalista and the development group for the excellent work

PPC

Since I’m the one that started this thread, it’s strange to say here that last week end I installed antiX 21 full 32bits on bare metal (not on a Virtual Machine).
              If it works in a 32 bits, 1 gig of RAM laptop, it works on almost every single old computer still in existence.

The pros:
              -I have the very latest version of a Debian based OS in a computer that is probably entering it’s 18th year of existence very soon.
              – It works, and works well- I updated from antiX 19.4 runit to antiX 21 sysvi- I seem to notice a tiny bit of less fluidity on this new install, may be all on my mind, or it may be from not using a runit version, or…
              – I enlarged the partition antiX uses and even install flatpak on it – I installed a single test flatpak- foliate ebook reader (since it’s not on the repository)- after finding out how to give it permition to read my home folder, it works and allows me to read my test .epub file (the ilustrated Romeu and Juliette from Project Guttenberg)- and Foliate installed from the official .deb does not work properly- most of the time it refuses to display text.

The cons:
              – With the new Debian base, came problems with Package Installer – that was the main reason I delayed installing antix 21 in bare metal… It seldom failed in previous antix versions- now it’s a bit hit and miss…
              – I use auto log in- by default seeing the text saying which desktop I’m running is wierd and unecessary
              – For the first time ever I had wi-fi problems with this device- that seems to have been solved by installing and using a new kernel
              – No Seamonkey out of the box? I used it as my e-mail client, back up browser nr 2 and Calendar! What the… 🙁
              – Still no .deb off-line installer out of the box- it’s bad for new users- most don’t mind learning how to use the terminal to install stuff, but most don’t want to be forced to do it because they have no other way- having to use the terminal to do basic stuff is what gives Linux a unecessary bad rap- we do have GUI’s for everything now, the terminal, in my opinion should only by used by people that prefer to use it, because it’s faster for performing most tasks, power users, or to solve serious problems
              – Before going AWOL, Xecure was working on a script that allowed users to localize the apps installed on antiX with a single click- having a fully working version of that on the Control Center would be great for non English users.
              – skidoo made available here on the forum (in a, for me, long ago forgotten post) a Package Installer version that had a tab that allows to install any package available in the default Debian repository straight from it- that’s a simple and great way to allow users to install 90% of all available apps- why force new users to lear how to use PI and Synaptic, if a simple singular tool does the job well?

So, in this particular very old hardware, with the a new Kernel, latest LO, wordgrinder, palemoon, seamonkey, calibre, flatpak, foliate (flatpak version), mcomix, deadbeef, the default gnome games, xine media player and ft10, I still have a computer that allows me:
              -To use the modern web (on firefox-esr, every single web site I tested works- it runs slow, but “runs”). Using Palemoon as my default browser (with a plug-in to be able to use Gitlab on it, and another one to make the browser look modern) works and provides a faster user experience- you can use more tabs and have more applications open while you browser, even on a 32bits CPU and just 1 gig of RAM. I don’t use any, but probably Social Networks have no reason not to work on, at least firefox-esr
              -I can do all my office work with LibreOffice. If I really have to, I can use, with way less fluidity, Ofice365 on-line or Google Docs.
              -I can listen to music files
              -I can watch even full HD video (yeah, no kidding, full HD is not 100% fluid- but this device comes from a time where DVD’s rulled, not 4k streaming video services)
              -I can watch youtube, using Smplayer
              -I can access my e-mail, in a fast way- using Seamonkey
              -I can read pdf’s, ebooks, digital comics
              -I can play simple games (like chess, sudoku, patience, mah-jong, etc). Hell, If I wanted to, I could probably play every single DOS game I wanted, using Dosbox, and probably install MAME and play some free old games (nevermind – I can use Internet Archive to legally play lots of old games- yeah, they do have Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat there)
              -all that using a simple and modern looking and very configurable interface – FT10 on top of IceWM (IceWM now has a simple GUI way for users to Tile windows- it has some flaws, but it’s great)- it’s like using a freakishly fast and impossible low on resources “antiX Desktop Environment

Because I like to push my hardware to the limit, here’s what I can’t do on antiX 21 32bits version:
              -You can install Chromium, but it may not work on some 32bits CPU’s- it does not work on this one.
              – Since Chromium does not work, I could not test any of the Stadia free games that Google so generously provides me (hey I think that box I had to check to use this service just said something about me sacrificing to them my first born son, right?)
              -You can’t watch Netflix or any other paid streaming service on 32bits because… well Google… The libraries used to play DRM content over the Web are proprietary, and owned by Google, that some time ago decided that having a working 32 bits version is a no-no. It’s strange- since it does install in a 32bits browser but refuses to run- does anyone have old working versions that work that you can send my way?)
              -Particular to all 32bits OS’s, not just antiX 21 32bits- you can’t install or use any 64bits software and this means most modern applications won’t have a version that is able to install and run- it’s no big deal for me, because almost every single thing I need to use this laptop works for me. The single exception is a .deb package that I have to use if I want to do all my work on this PC… I think of it like I owned a MacBook- it looks stylish, it works, it’s very fast, it allows me to surf the web, do office work, but I can’t install most things modern PC laptops do, like playing AAA games, etc

P.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.