OT answer …

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics OT answer …

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Nov 10-3:47 am by Sliver X.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

@Xaver & @christophe

My favorite jwm theme is coffee_cream. It is pleasant to read, not dark and low on blue light – very friendly to the eyes.
    I have tested it on antiX-19-b3 32 bit in VirtualBox. Everything seems to work fine.

What, do you think, needs to be repaired on it?

I hope you don’t get rid of JWM’s black theme – it’s the only one I use.

1. “… low on blue light …”

It seems very much like you mixed up certain things …
    Blue color has nothing to do with “blue light”.
    One is color, another one wavelength.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-be-worried-about-blue-light
    https://www.allaboutvision.com/en-in/digital-devices/blue-light/
    https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm

2. “I have tested it on antiX-19-b3 32 bit in VirtualBox. Everything seems to work fine. What, do you think, needs to be repaired on it?”

Check yourself. If you can’t see, you’re lucky.
    Less you see, better for yourself.

Coffee cream and black have some easily fixable issues, but even if fixed, they don’t belong in antiX anymore.
    The same applies to approx. 70 ~ 80 % of IceWM and Fluxbox themes currently included, including the default IceWM theme.
    They simply belong to another times or are broken, or both.

Simply said, just try to imagine yourself some Windows XP “candy look” theme (remember “Zune”?) on a “flat” Windows 8.1 or 10 and please explain me after which exact design criteria (NOT personal!) those parts fit together (or not).

3. “My favorite … I’m loving … it’s the only one I use.”

What YOU like is irrelevant. You are irrelevant. Your opinion is irrelevant.

What YOU like interests only YOU and nobody else but YOU YOURSELF.

Nobody is stopping YOU against keeping YOUR favorite theme for YOURSELF and modify YOUR own antiX installation according to YOUR own needs or taste (or a lack of it).

How many users antiX has? 10? 20? 50? 10’000? 50’000? Exactly!

What I notice is — always the same approx. 20 people are constantly crying about what they like and dislike and what should be included or not, according to their own personal tastes, against any generally accepted design rules.

You see, I respect YOUR personal taste, but keep it for YOURSELF and don’t try to bring together what doesn’t belong together.

However, we are here not discussing YOUR or my, or for that matter, nobodies personal tastes.

We’re discussing modernizing a dusty looking garage made OS.

Not only most of JWM themes, but also almost all of IceWM and especially Fluxbox themes have to removed too.

Either antiX will stay a “Garbage collection” or it’ll get modernized — it can’t become both.

Flat (“Material look”) is generally accepted as being modern these days.

Ergo — If you want your OS to look modern, it has to be flat.

If you want to offer a better OOTB experience to the users, the less can sometimes be more.
    If it’s good enough, include it, if it’s not good enough as a potential default, why include it at all?
    Different things have to match together to give the feel of belonging together. Log-in screen, wallpaper, theme, icons …

Will say, you’d want to offer one wallpaper and one theme (with matching icons), log-in screen included, if you wanna offer a unified (“pretty look”) experience.

Here some alternate wallpapers, matching “Cappuccino” / “Coffee-Cream” theme.

P.S.
    Maybe you should also consider installing ‘shiki-dust’.

eugen-beugen-b

I mostly agree with your rant. The development of a new look must not be 90% about personal taste. It should be 90% about the observation of trends and deriving own concepts and prototypes from these observations. 10% should be about evaluation of the derived concept according to personal tastes.

On the other hand, if s.o. writes explicitely “I personally like” you can simply discount this opinion by the due 10% which it is worth from development perspective, IMHO.

@eugen-b

On the other hand, if s.o. writes explicitely “I personally like” you can simply discount this opinion by the due 10% which it is worth from development perspective, IMHO.

I absolutely agree on that one, but I still can’t “simply discount this opinion” because of a very simple reason:

I don’t mind anybody liking what he or she likes, I don’t mind them (and will not take them away) using whatever and however they prefer, but I mind their “way of thinking”, always putting that “I” in the foreground, like it would be of any importance for the anybody else, except themselves only and alone.

I also don’t expect anybody to think as I think — I expect only, that people open the eyes and also start (or at least try) seeing the things from another perspective.

The eyes tight open instead of the eyes wide shut … some kind of. 😉

eugen-beugen-b

but I mind their “way of thinking”, always putting that “I” in the foreground, like it would be of any importance for the anybody else, except themselves only and alone.

I’d like to try to explain that writing “I think” can mean two things. First, the speaker may be convinced that his opinion is important, representative and should be adopted by others. Second, the speaker wants to communicate that he makes a statement about his opinion and wants to prevent anyone from mistaking it for a statement about a fact. (We usually don’t know what a speaker exactly meant, but some signal acronyms evolved like IMO and IMHO which usually indicate the second case.)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by eugen-b.

(We usually don’t know what a speaker exactly meant, but some signal acronyms evolved like IMO and IMHO which usually indicate the second case.)

Exactly. So, see it as “just in case”. 😉

However, the starter was:

My favorite jwm theme is coffee_cream. It is pleasant to read, not dark and low on blue light – very friendly to the eyes. I have
    tested it on antiX-19-b3 32 bit in VirtualBox. Everything seems to work fine. What, do you think, needs to be repaired on it?

It might be, I was mistaking it, but …

It seemed to me, very much like: “Oh, no, don’t remove the perfectly well working and pleasing on eyes theme which I use!”

If nothing else, it inspired me to write the short comment above, which should have been a part of that “PRObos thread” that I never continued writing.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

All girls wear their makeup differently. Since it is a matter of taste. Suggestions are always welcome.

I used to play dress up with AntiX. Glad to see others have taken over. Decisions are always left up to the builder though. But I like the discussions.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Do …

All girls wear their makeup differently

?

Sometimes … depending on what they want to achieve.
    Sometimes, they all wear their makeup exactly the same way …

Lipstick? Wear red.

But … that’s why you’ve got a theme too.

😉

Screenshots:
    Hot Pink

Sliver XSliver X

We’re discussing modernizing a dusty looking garage made OS.

“Modern” interface designs are regressively hard to use (Low contrast text, flat everything so that buttons/controls/etc are virtually impossible to distinguish, shitty color schemas that struggle to stray past the garish colors the EGA palette was known for), and the main reason they are even a trend right now is because developers are lazy and don’t want to bother following principles of UI (Not UX) design that have been worked out for decades now.

What YOU like interests only YOU and nobody else but YOU YOURSELF.

You do realize this applies to your rant as well, right? There are plenty of people in the world who despise current trends in PC/Phone interfaces, just as I’m sure there were plenty of people who despised mullets, disco music and flapper dancing when they were trendy.

My PCs are, foremost, a tool that allows me to get shit accomplished. “Modern” design aesthetic impairs that, and there’s even been some recent studies proving how they are harder to use.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-ui-less-attention-cause-uncertainty/

Aesthetic is subjective, usability isn’t. Again, what’s stopping you from slapping some flat themes on top of your antiX install instead of bitching about how your particular taste in graphics is superior to everyone else’s?

Ergo — If you want your OS to look modern, it has to be flat.

If I want my OS to look like your average, badly designed web page there are tons of distros that could satisfy that out of the box. Why don’t you use them?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Sliver X.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.