Other distros for old computers?

Forum Forums General Other Distros Other distros for old computers?

• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Feb 14-9:31 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    punranger

Hi, I was toying with the idea of making a video comparing distros geared at older hardware. I guess I’m looking for maybe maximum 5 distros, including antiX. I would like to install those distros on an old laptop and compare performance. The user group I would be aiming for is Windows users who are stuck with an old laptop that they can’t update, and no previous knowledge of Linux. Which distro(s) would you say is eligible?

I did a search on DistroWatch and got 13 matches. Personally I have only tried Puppy, TinyCore, Legacy and DamnSmallLinux of those suggestions. Two of those are based on antiX, so I’m not sure I’d even include those. But I’m happy to hear your suggestions.

I’ll take any suggestion based on your subjective opinion of what fits the description “old computer”.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

marcelocripe

Hello punranger.

Hi, I was toying with the idea of making a video comparing distros geared at older hardware.

This is an excellent idea!

I did a search on DistroWatch and got 13 matches. Personally I have only tried Puppy, TinyCore, Legacy and DamnSmallLinux of those suggestions. Two of those are based on antiX, so I’m not sure I’d even include those.

In fact, there is no point in mentioning distributions that are based on antiX.

Which distro(s) would you say is eligible?
        and
        But I’m happy to hear your suggestion.

I suggest you take a look at the topic System Requirements for antiX and other Debians which was created by
        seaken64.

TinyCore is excellent, but it has a big problem: this distribution was not designed to receive translations. Your buttons, text boxes, etc. are not flexible. For example, when texts such as “Apps” are translated to “Applications”, they are not displayed, because the space that was designed was not designed to be used in other languages. Therefore, this operating system is only suitable for native English-speaking users or for people who can use an operating system in a language foreign to their own.

My suggestions are: Porteus, Void, SliTaz, PCLinuxOS Brasil (the Brazilian community edition consumes much less RAM than the North American edition) and this one Lista de distribuições livres do SystemD may be useful.

– – – – –

Olá, punranger.

Hi, I was toying with the idea of making a video comparing distros geared at older hardware.

Esta é uma excelente ideia!

I did a search on DistroWatch and got 13 matches. Personally I have only tried Puppy, TinyCore, Legacy and DamnSmallLinux of those suggestions. Two of those are based on antiX, so I’m not sure I’d even include those.

De fato, não faz sentido mencionar as distribuições que são baseadas no antiX.

Which distro(s) would you say is eligible?
        and
        But I’m happy to hear your suggestion.

Eu sugiro você dar uma olhada no tópico System Requirements for antiX and other Debians que foi criado pelo
        seaken64.

O TinyCore é excelente, mas possui um grande problema, esta distribuição não foi projetada para receber as traduções. Os seus botões, caixas de textos, etc. não são flexíveis. Por exemplo, os textos como “Apps” quando são traduzidos para “Aplicativos”, não são exibidos, porque o espaço que foi projetado não foi pensado para ser utilizado em outros idiomas. Por tanto, este sistema operacional só serve para os usuários nativos do idioma Inglês ou para as pessoas que conseguem utilizar um sistema operacional em um idioma estrangeiro ao seu.

As minhas sugestões são: Porteus, Void, SliTaz, PCLinuxOS Brasil (a edição da comunidade brasileira consome bem menos memória RAM do que a edição norte americana) e esta Lista de distribuições livres do SystemD pode ser útil.

madibi

Very good idea.

Please find below my opinion on your topic.

We should start with the definition of old.
          For me

antiX works perfectly on pc(s) from 2007:

I surf internet and see youtube or Netflix. My oldest pc is from 2003 and I use it for work without internet, and it does it’s dirty job 🙂

Tiny Core and Slitaz are far too complicated for Win refugées.

I like ex aequo WattOS, LXLE and Bodhi Linux. The 1st has the advantage to still support 32 bit, the 2nd has problems of continuity , Bodhi is only 64 and according to me is too naked.

Q4OS is not anymore “light”, but had the advantage to be familiar for people that came from win.

m

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

Salix 32 bit xfce. https://www.salixos.org/download.html
            Slax . https://www.slax.org/ either Debian or Slackware based.
            Slackware live https://download.liveslak.org/

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            Not all who Wander are Lost.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

Not really on the antiX level of low resource usage Bodhi Linux ( https://www.bodhilinux.com/) but still a light distro, that runs fine on 32bits devices ( Bodhi Linux 5.1.0). It has a very polished look and feel.

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by PPC.
              madibi

Not really on the antiX level of low resource usage Bodhi Linux ( https://www.bodhilinux.com/) but still a light distro, that runs fine on 32bits devices ( Bodhi Linux 5.1.0). It has a very polished look and feel.

P.

May be I start to be like an antiX holigan. I think this distro has managed to reconcile two antithetical needs: on the one hand it is super-light, on the other it is complete.
                The others are or too geek or too heavy.

sybok

Hi, I did search DistroWatch https://distrowatch.com/search.php:
                  “Search by Distribution Criteria”
                  Distribution category: ‘Old Computers’ (<– selected value)
                  and it gives 15 results (as of Tue 2024-02-13).

I guess that Emmabuntüs (with XFCE) or the already mentioned Bodhi Linux, could represent a reasonable compromise, if not deemed too heavy.

PS: I (believe that I) experimented with wattOS in the past and I wanted to give DSL a try.

stevix

I have a spare laptop that I just use to try out and play around with other distros. I recently tried Emmabuntus on that, and although it seemed ok once it was up and running, it appeared to take significantly longer than a lot of other distros to boot up in the first place.

PPC

this distro has managed to reconcile two antithetical needs: on the one hand it is super-light, on the other it is complete.

I quite agree. I’ve always described antiX the best lightest full blown Linux Distro available out there. There are, in fact lighter distros, like the old DSL (the new version, currently being tested is based in antiX), tiny core, etc. But I’ve never found any distro that is general porpoise and as light as ours.
                      And antiX’s usability and user friendliness has improved over the last 6-7 years, to a point that it’s almost as easy to use to newcomers as Ubuntu, Mint, Mx or Zorin… and almost as feature rich as all those distros (most of what is missing can be installed from Package Installer- like notifications, automatic updater, etc).

4M Linux is another light distro…

P.

Brian Masinick

There are other decent distributions, however in my opinion antiX is the lightest distribution that still manages to offer a balance between functionality and lean efficiency.

--
                        Brian Masinick

anti-apXos

The Bodhi team recently released their new Debian-based 32-bit version of Bodhi 7.0 as a beta. Plus a Debian-based 64-bit version (deBodhi), too.

https://bodhilinux.boards.net/thread/1818/bodhi-7-legacy-debodhi-beta

I haven’t tried either one yet myself.

Forum Admin
                          rokytnji

4M linux is only 64 bit versions currently at sourceforge that I know of.

version 44 is stable and I think 43 reaches eol march 2024.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux4m/files/

Finding 32 bit isos are not as easy as they used to be.

BusenLabs carries it still.Open-Suse also. Magia is another. Void also. MX still hangs with us also.https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/Fluxbox/MX-23.2_fluxbox_386.iso/download

though 32 bit releases on certain sites want a Pentium 4 and 1 gig of ram for 32 bit to run smooth.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                            Not all who Wander are Lost.
                            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

marcelocripe

ylee Dev wrote:

Just to let all know I have zero interest in renaming ARandR. A standard install of BL 5.1 comes with only 10 apps or so in the menu. It is not unreasonable to expect users to figure out what these apps do on their own if they don’t know. Most are obvious. Bodhi has never claimed to be a Distro for Linux beginners and to clear up any misunderstanding it is not a distro for Linux beginners. ARandR is an app that should be well known to any Linux user with experience as is synaptic. Besides ARandR is its name, it is not my program and it is not for me to rename it. I already modify it to make it more Bodhi friendly but that is as far as I am going with modifying it.

There are a few more things about Bodhi Linux, I’ve been there and I know that the community doesn’t welcome newcomers to GNU/Linux like newcomers do here on the antiX forum.
                              Someone coming from Windows and needing the Bodhi Linux community will certainly be left without help and options. Certainly the person will have to go back to Windows.
                              So, in addition to a GNU/Linux distribution being light and fast, allowing old computers to be revived, the distribution needs to have a community willing to have new users.
                              I welcome newbies to the forum by giving them the information I wish I had found when I got here. I just needed to be patient to gather all the information, but the main thing is that I was very well received here and I can’t say the same about several forums I visited until I got here.
                              The best test you can do is to create a forum thread and see for yourself how a newbie is received on the forum.

– – – – –

ylee Dev wrote:

Just to let all know I have zero interest in renaming ARandR. A standard install of BL 5.1 comes with only 10 apps or so in the menu. It is not unreasonable to expect users to figure out what these apps do on their own if they don’t know. Most are obvious. Bodhi has never claimed to be a Distro for Linux beginners and to clear up any misunderstanding it is not a distro for Linux beginners. ARandR is an app that should be well known to any Linux user with experience as is synaptic. Besides ARandR is its name, it is not my program and it is not for me to rename it. I already modify it to make it more Bodhi friendly but that is as far as I am going with modifying it.

Tem mais algumas coisas sobre o Bodhi Linux, eu já estive lá e sei que a comunidade não recebe os novatos no GNU/Linux como os novatos são recebidos aqui no fórum do antiX.
                              Alguém que venha do Windows e precisa da comunidade do Bodhi Linux, certamente ficará sem ajuda e sem opções. Certamente a pessoa terá que voltar para o Windows.
                              Então, além de uma distribuição GNU/Linux ser leve e rápida, permitir reviver computadores antigos, a distribuição precisa de ter uma comunidade disposta a ter novos usuários.
                              Eu recebo os novatos no fórum dando a eles as informações que eu gostaria de ter encontrado quando eu cheguei aqui. Eu só precisei de ter paciência para juntar todas as informações, mas o principal é que eu fui muito bem recebido aqui e não posso dizer o mesmo de vários fóruns que percorri até chegar aqui.
                              O melhor teste que pode ser feito é criar um tópico no fórum e verificar por si mesmo como um novato é recebido no fórum.

alpage2

Hello punranger

As above, and I can add PeppermintOS – not quite as light as antiX, but still light and nimble, and still supporting 32-bit machines. Based on the latest debian, and very user-friendly. Suitable for PCs as far back as MS Vista, and the higher spec WinXP PCs.

marcelocripe

PPC wrote:

No. In reality, you are wrong on those statements. Linux distros do not have to be light and fast.

In the context of this topic, GNU/Linux distributions must be light and fast to be included in the video that punranger intends to produce. But if a beginner doesn’t have the minimum conditions to learn and have help, a beginner won’t be able to do everything alone and will certainly abandon the GNU/Linux distribution.

– – – – –

PPC wrote:

No. In reality, you are wrong on those statements. Linux distros do not have to be light and fast.

No contexto deste tópico as distribuições GNU/Linux devem ser sim leves e rápidas para entrarem no vídeo que o punranger pretende produzir. Mas se um novato não tiver a mínima condição de aprender e ter ajuda, um novato não irá conseguir fazer tudo sozinho e certamente abandonará a distribuição GNU/Linux.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.