“Package Installer” only in English?

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations “Package Installer” only in English?

• This topic has 49 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Apr 6-12:27 am by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

What does “sudo apt-cache policy packageinstaller-pkglist” in commandline return?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Robin. Reason: added "sudo"

tip:
    elevated permissions are not required to check policy. Also, here’s a shorter commandstring:
    apt policy packageinstaller-pkglist

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Staff,

Today’s antiX update brought some menus translated to “pt-BR” that were previously in “en”. The “Package Installer” received about 70% of the translations of the transifex. The texts I inserted in the pt-BR area did not enter in the files “antix-package-installer-categoriestxt” and “antix-packageinstaller-descriptionstxt” until 03-18-2021. The text that came in, probably came from “mx-packageinstaller-categories” and “mx-packageinstaller-descriptions”.

This is a very good improvement, we are close to 100% from the point of view of translations.

Thanks.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Pessoal,

A atualização do antiX de hoje trouxe alguns menus traduzidos para “pt-BR” que estavam antes em “en”. O “Package Installer” recebeu cerca de 70% das traduções do transifex. Não entraram os textos que eu inseri na área pt-BR nos arquivos “antix-package-installer-categoriestxt” e “antix-packageinstaller-descriptionstxt” até o dia 18-03-2021. Os texto que entraram, provavelmente foram do “mx-packageinstaller-categories” e “mx-packageinstaller-descriptions”.

Esta é uma melhoria muito boa, estamos próximos do 100% do ponto de vista das traduções.

Obrigado.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Hi Marcelo,
    again, for you also: what does “apt policy packageinstaller-pkglist” executed on your system show (after “apt update”)?
    (thanks for your hint, @skidoo. I cant’t correct this above, since there is no edit button)

Dear Robin,

Here it is the detail;

$ LANGUAGE=en apt policy packageinstaller-pkglist
    packageinstaller-pkglist:
      Installed: 0.3.28
      Candidate: 0.3.28
      Version table:
     *** 0.3.28 500
            500 http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster/main amd64 Packages
            500 http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I have received new packages and now the categories tree is better translated. I have also some French descriptions.
    As Marcelocripe, I think that the translation regarding descriptions of packages comes from MX Linux.

Best regards,
    Wallon

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Wallon.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

It will take a while to get it all 100% translated – please be patient.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Anticapitalist, we collaborate to make this possible through the transifex website. Also know that you can count on us. United by a better antiX every day.

Thank you very much.

marcelocripe

———-

Anticapitalista, colaboramos para que isso seja possível através do site transifex. Saiba também que pode pode contar com a gente. Unidos por um antiX cada dia melhor.

Muito obrigado.

marcelocripe

Well, I just wanted to make sure you have installed this package and you have got the most recent version of this package, which is the case obviously.

I have also some French descriptions.

This is strange a bit: In German language most of the translations are present, only very few are missing still. I don’t hope anticapitalista has to tranport them manually from transifex into all the .mo files, one by one 😉

OK, then everything is fine now and the translations will show up over time.
    Many thanks anticapitalista, Skidoo, Xecure and marcelocripe. This is what I call the spirit of antiX community.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Robin.

Hello everyone,

I made a print screen this morning of the “Package Installer” module. The category tree is again all in English. It’s no longer translated into French.

Best regards,
    Wallon

$ LANGUAGE=en apt policy packageinstaller-pkglist
    packageinstaller-pkglist:
      Installed: 0.3.29
      Candidate: 0.3.29
      Version table:
     *** 0.3.29 500
            500 http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster/main amd64 Packages
            500 http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Forum Admin

Thanks. Fix should come soon. fr_BE is included in the translation string but nobody has made any translations at transifex.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

is included in the translation string but nobody has made any translations at transifex.

Well, @anticapitalista, this is probably because nobody was informed about the fact there are new strings present. Even though my personal settings in transifex are set to inform me via email on all kind of updates I didn’t receive a mail for this. I’ve heard reporting this problem from other translators also. Thus all the changed / new strings will have to wait until somebody accidentally looks into transifex again and cleans up. Maybe this drawback could be helped somehow.

Robin.

Forum Admin

I meant that fr_BE was requested (and given) at Transifex, but since then it has 2.26% translated files. Most, it seems, MX releated.

Thanks for clarification.
    As to my knowledge, the translation mechanism in linux works that way, in country specific translations (four significant letter code like “de_DE”, de_AT, “de_CH” or “fr_FR”, “fr_BE”) there is no need to translate all the strings, but only the ones which are different from the base language translations (two letter code like “de” or “fr”) as long as the latter are present.
    I believe transifex doesn’t take this circumstance into account, since the country sepecific translations are not marked as “ready for use” until every single translation is filled in, which is definitively unnecessery. E.g. I believe for “fr_BE” is no need to translate all strings different from the non country specific “fr” translation, so most of the translation fields should stay empty on purpose. @Wallon will know more about the necessity for fr_BE country specific translations, I can only talk for fr in general. But I can state, if there would be e.g. an extra de_AT translation, there would be very few strings to be filled in to get a complete Austrian translation, mostly relying upon the “de” translations. The percentage of differences may vary from language to language, so I had to learn there are many important differences between pt_PT and pt_BR, so a high percentage has to be translated seperately. Taking all this into account, I think transifex should follow the linux standard mechanism for translations and mark any country specific language as “ready for use” as long as the base language is ready. It should be possible for translators in transifex, to mark a string for “use base language” instead of copying the string from two letter code to four significant letter code languages. This makes it possible to perform corrections in one place instead to fix it in a bunch of identintical strings copied from each other and all identic to the base language, once antiX will have more country specific languages integrated. Best it would be, this proposed switch would default to “use base language” when creating any new country specific language (four significant letters), so the language would be completely “ready for use” by default, and translators can chose to turn this switch off over time for specific strings which turn out to be in need for modifications against the basic language only. I have thought about this for some time to file in transifex to the developers, but first will have to learn how to send information to them.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Robin.
    marcelocripemarcelocripe

Hello Wallon, Anticapitalist and Robin.

What Wallon detected and explained very well, I realized on Friday (02-04-20201) in the update of 9 antiX (8 antiX 19.3 full 64 bits and 1 antiX 19.3 Legacy 32 bits – built by the NGO Xecure ). I thought it could be a temporary problem, I decided to wait, today I updated 3 other antiX (2 antiX 19.3 full 64 bits and 1 antiX 19.3 Legacy 32 bits – built by Xecure), the problem you described also occurs with the language pt-BR.

Another issue very well raised by Robin is about the transifex, because when the developers / programmers update or edit the file, we are not notified by email. When a new file is sent by the programmers, replacing an existing one, ALL translations are lost, this happened with the “icewm-toolbar-icon-managershpot” and with another file, it made me very sad, because the texts were almost the same and I had to redo it from scratch. Since then, I started to download each file that I edit the texts en-BR, I kept them all. I’m usually notified when a new file is sent, but sometimes it doesn’t. For example, who told me that there were new texts in the “antix-packageinstaller-descriptionstxt” was Wallon, so since March 29, 2021 the 545 phrases are available for use in pt-BR. The next step will be to take to the “mx-packageinstaller-descriptions” the text models that I built that were satisfactory in the opinion of antiX users who participate in the unofficial MX Linux BR Telegram group.

The percentage of differences may vary from language to language, so I had to learn there are many important differences between pt_PT and pt_BR, so a high percentage has to be translated seperately.

Yes Robin, the Portuguese language (pt-BR) suffered several influences from several languages, from the dialects of the indigenous tribes (totally extinct with colonization), to the diverse African languages ​​of HUMAN beings who were enslaved for almost 400 years, later European settlers, so words practiced in Brazil have formats similar to French, Italian, Spanish, German and so on.

I just saw, unintentionally, that a new phrase was added at https://www.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/translate/#pt_BR/bootrepair_ents/319409988?q=translated%3Ano. It is very difficult for anyone who wanted to collaborate with antiX translations to have to guess where and when phrases were added or that a new file was sent that has yet to be translated.

Anticapitalista, what do you think we have in this forum as a means of communication to notify the translators about the new files or about the editing of the files?
    In this way, we will be able to circumvent the limitations of the transifex site with official reports from developers / programmers about the need for new translations.

marcelocripe

———-

Olá Wallon, Anticapitalista e Robin.

O que o Wallon detectou e explicou muito bem, eu percebi na sexta-feira (02-04-20201) na atualização de 9 antiX (8 antiX 19.3 full de 64 bits e 1 antiX 19.3 Legacy de 32 bits – construído pelo Xecure da ONG). Eu pensei que poderia ser um problema temporário, resolvi esperar, hoje eu atualizei outros 3 antiX (2 antiX 19.3 full de 64 bits e 1 antiX 19.3 Legacy de 32 bits – construído pelo Xecure), o problema que você descreveu ocorre também com o idioma pt-BR.

Outro assunto muito bem levantado pelo Robin é sobre o transifex, pois quando ocorre a atualização ou edição do arquivo pelos desenvolvedores/programadores, não somos notificados por e-mail. Quando é enviado um arquivo novo pelos programadores, em substituição a um já existente, TODAS as traduções são perdidas, isso aconteceu com o “icewm-toolbar-icon-managershpot” e com outro arquivo, isso me deixou muito triste, pois os textos eram quase os mesmos e eu tive que refazer do zero. Desde então, passei a baixar cada arquivo que faço a edição dos textos pt-BR, guardei todos. Normalmente eu sou notificado quando é enviado um arquivo novo, mas às vezes isso não acontece. Por exemplo, quem me avisou que haviam novos textos no “antix-packageinstaller-descriptionstxt” foi o Wallon, por isso desde o dia 29-03-2021 as 545 frases estão disponíveis para uso em pt-BR. A próxima etapa será levar para o “mx-packageinstaller-descriptions” os modelos texto que construí que ficou satisfatório na opinião dos usuários do antiX que participam do grupo de Telegram do MX Linux BR não oficial.

The percentage of differences may vary from language to language, so I had to learn there are many important differences between pt_PT and pt_BR, so a high percentage has to be translated seperately.

Sim Robin, o idioma Português (pt-BR) sofreu diversas influências de vários idiomas, desde os dialetos das tribos indígenas (totalmente extintas com a colonização), passando pelos diversos idiomas africanos dos seres HUMANOS que foram escravizados por quase 400 anos, posteriormente com os colonos europeus, sendo assim palavras praticadas no Brasil possuem formatos semelhantes a escrita francesa, italiana, espanhola, alemã e etc.

Eu acabei de ver, sem querer, que foi acrescentada um nova frase em https://www.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/translate/#pt_BR/bootrepair_ents/319409988?q=translated%3Ano. É muito difícil para qualquer pessoa que queria colaborar com as traduções do antiX ter que adivinhar onde e quando ocorreram o acréscimo de frases ou que ocorreu o envio de um novo arquivo que falta ser traduzido.

Anticapitalista, o que você acha de termos neste fórum um meio de comunicação para avisar aos tradutores sobre os novos arquivos ou sobre a edição dos arquivos?
    Desta forma, poderemos contornar as limitações do site transifex com informes oficias dos desenvolvedores/programadores sobre a necessidade de novas traduções.

marcelocripe

Hello to everyone, Bonjour à tout le monde,

I completely support Robin and Marcelocripe’s comments. Translators should be warned about the existence of a new file to be translated at the Transifex site.
    French between France and Belgium is 99% the same. It is not necessary to copy twice the same thing in 2 files at Transifex (one for France and one for Belgium).
    French is used on all continents.
    Good luck finding translators for all French speaking countries. Here is a list of countries that use French as one of their official languages. This list does not include the many districts/provinces that use French in some countries (e.g. Southern Louisiana and Northern New England in the US, Morocco, Algeria…)

Countries whose official language is French
    ——————————————-
    Democratic Republic of the Congo
    France
    Canada
    Madagascar
    Cameroon
    Ivory Coast
    Burkina Faso
    Niger
    Senegal
    Mali
    Rwanda
    Belgium
    Guinea
    Chad
    Haiti
    Burundi
    Benin
    Switzerland
    Togo
    Central African Republic
    Republic of Congo
    Gabon
    Comoros
    Equatorial Guinea
    Djibouti
    Luxembourg
    Vanuatu
    Seychelles
    Monaco

Dependent entities
    ——————
    French Polynesia
    New Caledonia
    Aosta Valley
    Jersey
    Guernsey
    Saint-Martin
    Wallis and Futuna
    Saint-Barthélemy
    Saint Pierre and Miquelon
    French Southern and Antarctic Lands
    Clipperton

Best regards,
    Wallon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.