Package Installer woes

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Package Installer woes

• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Nov 4-5:55 pm by ModdIt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

One app that did not get much beta testing is the Package Installer (PI) app.
      As a result, there are broken packages.
      I cannot possibly check every entry in PI so I’m requesting people post what is broken, so we can fix them.

Please begin with a vanilla antiX-21 install and state if using 32/64 sysVinit/runit

Thanks.

Known issues so far:

deadbeef (fixed)
      slimjet (cannot fix – conflicting libs)
      ungoogled chrome (fixed)
      xfce4 (fixed)
      qt5-dev-env (fixed)
      Playonlinux (fixed)
      gimp-latest (fixed)
      Inkscape (fixed)
      LaText-full (fixed)
      Libreoffice-latest (fixed)
      zoom (fixed)
      skype (fixed)
      wine (fixed)
      wine-hq (fixed)
      opera (installs but doesn’t open – installing opera-beta seems to work)

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: fix typos
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added some apps
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added fixes

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

manyroads

Also xfce (both apps), dunst, skype, zoom

Pax vobiscum,
        Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
        "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
        dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
        20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

PPC

I’m testing antiX 21 runit 64bits live in virtualbox:
          -dunst installed ok and worked ok
          -Skype installed ok, but when I opened it’s window it was just blank and most menu options were greyed out…
          -Zoom failed to install- the terminal window popped open and closed so fast that I was unable to read it’s output…
          -Both available docks: plank and tint2 install and run fine

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by PPC.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by PPC.
          Brian Masinick

Here’s another package that doesn’t work but it’s not our issue: the Opera browser hasn’t been working on Debian based distributions for almost a month, at least that’s how long I have been seeing a problem.

I don’t think it’s our packaging.
            If anyone is interested I can experiment with other package and builds to see if it works anywhere.
            Otherwise I have 3-4 browsers that work fine.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
            Brian Masinick

Daddy Libre

I’ve used it on sysVinit x64 so far ad it has been able to do what I needed to do:
              -Remove ff-esr and install ff
              -Remove others language packages and install italian language packages (all of them except ff-esr: so that seems fine)

I’ve maybe requested other software but can’t remember (I’m not on that antiX now), I’ve not encountered issue so far is likely where I can put my mouth.

I will edit later if required.

caprea

I don’t think it’s our packaging

No, it’s not the fault of the package-installer. The new opera version is missing a correct libffmpeg.so
                One easy workaround is installing vivaldi broser, too. Afterwards copying it’s working libffmpeg.so to the opera browser
                sudo cp /opt/vivaldi/lib/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so

Opera will now start.

Or one could download the opera-beta-ffmpeg-codecs from herehttp://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64/

`

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Surprise (not) that most woes are related to non-free apps.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick

I don’t think it’s our packaging

No, it’s not the fault of the package-installer. The new opera version is missing a correct libffmpeg.so
                    One easy workaround is installing vivaldi broser, too. Afterwards copying it’s working libffmpeg.so to the opera browser
                    sudo cp /opt/vivaldi/lib/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so

Opera will now start.

Or one could download the opera-beta-ffmpeg-codecs from herehttp://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64/

`

Thanks Caprea! That solved the problem. As suspected, this has nothing to do with our distribution; it’s another quirk that the vendor could arguably solve automatically with a few simple checks associated with the commonly available package types.

Yes, there are workarounds, and the ones you provided work, so thanks for sharing them.

--
                    Brian Masinick

4L1V3

The AirVPN (eddie-ui) is broken

More concerning is the flickering display issue

I’m reverting to 19.4 for now

ModdIt

Which you asked about in which post giving details of your issue nobody else is asking about.
                        You started two threads, neither about screen flickering

Or are you the one who posted about screen flickering and us being unhelpful on distrowatch ????
                        we are not clairvoyant by the way

manyroads

I have no real idea, but I wonder if this is but a precursor of things to come. Perhaps systemd is exacting its toll on those who prefer to use different inits.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
                          Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
                          "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
                          dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
                          20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

4L1V3

Which you asked about in which post giving details of your issue nobody else is asking about.
                            You started two threads, neither about screen flickering

You are correct I have not started a thread about it. Reason being = I consider this to be an issue so fundamental that I cannot be bothered to play around with any OS on which I am experiencing such an issue. I am glad that no one else is having the issue. But I did, which is why I went back to 19.4. It’s not like I jumped ship to go use Slackware or something. I am still a firm antiX user.

Or are you the one who posted about screen flickering and us being unhelpful on distrowatch ????

No, I am not. No idea what you’re talking about. I consider myself an ambassador for antiX. Since discovering the distro a few months ago, I’ve installed it on the machines of no less than 8 friends/acquaintances.

I love antiX. I just think that these issues should be ironed out more thoroughly between beta and RC, let alone release. If it makes me a douche in some people’s eyes to have that opinion, then so be it. I can’t please everyone. I’m not much of a forum-goer, tbh. I’m homeless and spend most of my time solving problems regarding my immediate needs and trying to find ways to make a living. If I post, then yeah it will probably be about something I really need(ed), like when I wanted to have a persistent USB that didn’t take ages to shutdown.

I was really glad to see that the new release has improved UEFI menus 🙂 🙂 🙂 good work on that. Maybe 21.2 will have most of the bugs ironed out so I can upgrade to Bullseye

caprea

@4L1V3, there was another thread about screen blinking which is solved, you are might talking about the same problem ?
                              https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/screen-blinking/

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

Updated original post.
                                Updates to packageinstaller-package list should arrive in the repos soon.

ModdIt

Hi 4LV3, first please accept apology regarding DW review question.

Regarding screen flickering or tearing, the team can only fix problems which are known. I
                                  I alpha and beta tested without running in to any problems of that kind. Used EEPC radeon
                                  graphics, Lenovo T series Laptop with intel graphics, my pc with n Vidia card, none gave
                                  issues.
                                  Please let us know about problems so we can help to fix things. Many issues are on specific
                                  devices and often do not show up during testing.

regarding homeless, I once lived in a tent between hedgrows in uk, it was cold and snowed a lot.
                                  Lived more or less in a car, later for about 1,5 years in an anchient camper van, Not easy.
                                  I ended up permanently leaving family and friends, had a lot of problems getting long visa,
                                  Pre EU.
                                  found a job and spent much of my life here in Germany.
                                  Sounds corny but if you give a little info on approximate whereabouts maybe there is a chance
                                  somebody can give some help.
                                  right now my -I call it family in vietnam has had no chance to work for more than three months,
                                  told today they must wait for at least 15 days for important papers, when the earner goes back
                                  to Ho Chi Minh, 14 days quarantine and several covid tests to pay for. I put them first but
                                  just maybe some room in the second row,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.