Package Installer

Forum Forums General Software Package Installer

• This topic has 23 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Mar 14-4:09 pm by masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

antiX full and base editions ship with the Package Installer application, which basically makes it easy(ier?) for users to install ‘Popular’ applications.
    So, which apps do you think we should also include? Say what the app does and why you think it would be a useful addition

I’ll start.

vlc multimedia player since it is often requested (Personally I dislike it).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

XecureXecure

Icons:
    – papirus-antix (Current antix 19 main icon theme)
    Network:
    – Ceni (most basic “network manager”)
    – Connman (default network manager for antiX 19)
    Themes:
    – Arc-EvoPro2 (current antiX 19 GTK theme)
    Utility: (?)
    – App Select (usefull app to search for your installed apps)
    – Synaptic Package manager (still the best for exploring packages)

For antiX related packages (for example, antiX official wallpapers, antiX Control Center, etc) maybe a new “antiX” category could be created.
    My experiments with antiX core has made me wish for an easy way to find the default antiX themes and specific apps without having to start antiX full on a different computer and write a list down.

Thanks anticapitalista for all your hard work.

fatmacfatmac

Some programs that I personally add are,
    Audacity – audio recording
    Openshot – video editor
    Musescore – music making/editing software

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Suggestions:

1- For general system use:
    – dunst – allows system notifications (I usually don’t run it, but it can be handy)
    – Flatpak (many users don’t like universal application packages- like flatpak and appimage – but they are a really good and safe way to run applications without risking ending up with a frankendebian system)- note that I have flatpak installed, but never needed to install a flatpak application, I favour appimage myself… – and I mean just having flatpak available (also file association so, when the user downloads a flatpak file, it installs with a double click?), not a flatpak tab with it’s apps, like MX linux has…
    – masterpdfeditor (both the older more feature rich version and the most recent fremium edition, like MX has) . a very good PDF editor.
    – Foxit reader- also not Open Source but, as far as I know, the best and easiest way to annotate ( i.e. underline) PDF files on Linux.
    – Joplin – open source note taking and to-do application, compatible with Evernote files
    – scrcpy and guiscrcpy – to mirror android devices in Linux
    – DeaDBeeF music player- terrible name but also a incredible light music player, controlable from the cli
    – Notepadqq – Notepad++-like editor for the Linux desktop

2- For Gamming:
    – Lutris – (since Steam is also available in package installer)
    – Scumm
    Adding some more casual games could also be a good idea, like Frozen Bubble, TORCS

3- For Professional (multimedia, etc) use:
    – Every single application listed in https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Libre-Graphics-Suite, that’s not already included in package installer, like (about half of these I never tried used, but this list covers just about any professional multimedia use):
    – Krita
    – Fontforge
    – RawTherapee
    – LMMS
    – Synfig Studio, OpenToonz, Font matrix, FreeCAd,

4 – Really, really very used (even proprietary) applications (note: that I don’t use myself, but many users could need):
    – Skype
    – Wrappers to very popular Microsoft applications, like Ms Office 365 (like https://github.com/matvelloso/electron-office/releases) and prospect-mail (it’s a wrapper for Microsoft Outlook 365 web version). I’m aware that his suggestion has debatable utility, but, like it or not MS Office is one of the most used software applications in the world – NOTE: I don’t even have an O365 account to test this with, but one question that worries newbies is “Can I run MS office in Linux?” – Saying “Yes, run it in a browser, if you really want to” may sound strange to those users)
    – etc (nothing more comes to mind, Spotify and Dropbox are already available)

Other suggestions:

– Change Odrive -Open Drive’s description to say Google Drive (it’s as close to a free Google Drive application as it gets), to let users know what it does
    – Put package installer’s icon on the default desktops, to increase it’s visibility to new users

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
    masinickmasinick

I’ve been using the Brave Web Browser recently.

It’s available from https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com in apt form.

The browser is based on Mozilla licensed technology and I have found it to be fast, stable and lighter in feel than either Firefox or Google Chrome and I have not encountered any issues with running it. The software is now past the first release and it is worth adding to the package installer and possibly even the primary packaging. It’s that good.

By the way, I retried one of my old memory usage experiments, running various web browsers, a terminal client, and the htop program in the terminal to monitor resource usage. The two browsers that use the fewest overall resources are Palemoon and Seamonkey, but Seamonkey remains the most efficient user of memory and one of the most efficient overall as well (memory, disk, CPU) of the available browsers, including Brave. One reason both Palemoon and Seamonkey are less resource intensive is that they use fewer high consuming visual effects. In the case of Seamonkey, I have to use a “Classic Mode” of Yahoo Mail, for instance, because it doesn’t offer the very newest features.

I did not include Dillo or any of the “Links” browser varieties in my tests; they also lack the features found in the newer browsers. Palemoon probably offers a reasonable resource compromise, but it may not receive the latest security updates as fast as the newest, most prevalent browsers either. Chromium does a respectable job of providing a reasonable feature set and reasonable resource consumption.

For those who are suspicious of code that comes from places like Google or even Mozilla, though Brave is licensed through Mozilla, the Brave Web Browser is a rewrite of many code sections and the results are evident. The performance – feature blend is also appealing, with reasonable resource consumption.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

Up to date Gimp and Libreoffice, not flatpack versions which integrate badly.
    Both are flagship applications which are highly respected and used by many. New users are often
    baffled to find no immediately understandable install method. Older versions lack some very useful features.
    VLC please, very popular.
    Masterpdfeditor, for occasional usage, last free for non comercial use version was 4.3.89.
    For anyone doing a lot of pdf editing only fair to buy the newer full version.

@masinik says The two browsers that use the fewest overall resources are Palemoon and Seamonkey,
    If you setup firefox with g hacks user.js and remove the hidden telemetry extensions it runs faster
    and with much reduced memory usage, it is still the most configurable up to date browser.
    That said my most used browser is palemoon.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by ModdIt.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by ModdIt.

Some more suggestions:

Compton – for users that want eye candy (at the cost of a bit of system resources) [Note: I have it installed, I seldom run it]

– Any good OCR software- in my case the best one I found is: ocrmypdf . If adds a selectable text layer above the scanned PDF file text, that can be then searched and copied and pasted. It is slow in my ancient desktop pc, but was 100 % accurate in my tests. I didn’t find a GUI for it, but it’s very straightforward to use (EX: ocrmypdf -l [the_3_letters_of_the_chosen_language] original.pdf converted.pdf )

MAME – arcade game emulator – the description can even point to internet archive, that host hundreds of legal downloadable ROMS, for games as well known as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc…

P.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Up to date Gimp and Libreoffice, not flatpack versions which integrate badly.
    Both are flagship applications which are highly respected and used by many. New users are often
    baffled to find no immediately understandable install method. Older versions lack some very useful features.

However,

Latest libreoffice in debian buster-backports (version 6.4.0.3) installs, but the help (F1) documentation is broken.
    Latest gimp (version 2.10.14) does not install on antiX-19 due to incompatible dependencies. Version 2.10.12 does install via MX repos.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

These are the apps that I use regularly, and are already on the Popular Apps of the Package Installer:

Audacious
    Kodi
    SMPlayer
    SMTube

Netsurf
    SeaMonkey

SpaceFM
    VirtualBox
    Samba

These are apps I use regularly that are not on the Package Installer

Remmina – allows remote connection to other computers, uses VNC or RDP, even NX.
    Streamtuner2 – browse internet streaming music services, internet radio

I think it may be hard for a newbie to find the Package Installer. It is on the Control Centre but on the second tab (System). If there was a tab or icon titled “Software” or “Software Manager” that might make it easier. It is also on the menu under Applications|System Tools|Package Installer. Again, maybe the word “Software” would be easier for many to understand, or “Software Installer”. And a note at the top telling the newbie that this is only a partial list of the software available. For full software management, and a full list of available software, use Synaptic.

Seaken64

@anticapitalista – sorry if this comes out as a dumb idea, but here it goes:
    Gimp 2.10.14 is available in appimage format. One can extract it (using the –appimage-extract option) to the folder “squashfs-root/usr/share/gimp …” on the folder where the .appimage file is.
    Note: the .desktop file inside the extracted folder does not start the program. It tries to run “gimp-2.10.wrapper %U” but “apprun” does start GIMP correctly.

Question: is it a viable option for you to offer the latest GIMP version on antiX (or any other application that is published in appimage format, like LibreOffice)- to extract it from the appimage and then build a .deb file from the files available, or simply have a compressed file that uncompressed into place when the user “installs” it from the package installer?
    How slower can it be to run a uncompressed appimage than the installed version, since it is already uncompressed? It is bigger than simply installing the .deb file, yes, but, on the other hand, has no dependency problems and … runs!
    Also if people “install” appimages this way, is there a easy way to change the file associations to the extracted appimage?

EDIT: I notice Brave browser and Deadbeaf are already available! Damn, you are fast, anti!
    P.

@anticapitalista, we can manage,
    its just not so easy for newer users outside of a group, they have nobody to pass on an install stick or hold them above water for a week or so. once understanding starts to grow no more complaints coming in.

GIMP 2.10.14-2 is running and in use without issues on our moddit Antix , only error message I got was it is in conflict with gimp. Installation came from sid.
    Would it be possible to ask Steve Pusser if he can bump the version on MX.

Libreoffice backports version is a bit out of date and caused some conflict, all 64 bit boxes have the latest version from LO Org. Runs fine for us. I pulled the deb files directly from LO.org. Using German Spanish English.
    Help offers to download files or use online version with default browser.

@PPC idea, to my knowledge only 64 bit appimages available, may be interesting for gimp though, I had to try a couple of times to get a working install. sid has a difficult personality :-).

christophechristophe

I would like to see virtualbox 5.x for 32-bit, if possible. (I like to run a winxp vm for some games that I couldn’t get working under wine, and it works great on my 32-bit machines in antiX 17.)

@anticapitalista – I’ve many times said in the forum that package installer should have more visibility… adapting seaken64’s suggestion: do you think it could be a good idea (if it’s not too difficult to implment) to change the C.C. so the “system” tab would be presented by default? Probably adding software is the most sought after activity users want to perform on any OS…

P.

masinickmasinick

@anticapitalista – I’ve many times said in the forum that package installer should have more visibility… adapting seaken64’s suggestion: do you think it could be a good idea (if it’s not too difficult to implment) to change the C.C. so the “system” tab would be presented by default? Probably adding software is the most sought after activity users want to perform on any OS…

P.

I am always in favor of any features that contribute to usability, particularly when they can do so without adding too much overhead and bloat, so I am also in favor of this proposal.

Brian Masinick

anticapitalista: here’s something that I believe fits right with antiX ideals: a free youtube alternative, that provides cross-platform clients: LBRY (https://lbry.com/linux) – Note: I don’t use the client on my computer, I prefer running it from a web browser.

Complety unrelated, but a personal favourite of mine, and the only “eye candy” I have in my systems (because it does not stay RAM resident) skippy-xd taskswitcher.

P.

EDIT: Ms-fonts and that vista fonts package a user talked about on the forum (sorry, I did’t find that post)…
    And a very general suggestion: all the gui applications cli-aptiX suggests?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.