a web browser for very old laptops

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks a web browser for very old laptops

• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Nov 27-1:04 pm by Empty Handed.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Regarding Palemoon I am able to use it for reading forums and Webmail.

I don’t attempt to use it with the newest technology but it works for a reasonable amount of the things I access every day.

I don’t often use several of the alternative browsers but I will say that the various links varieties and Dillo are useful for text documents.

--
      Brian Masinick

seaken64

Hi @ninos,

Did you mention the specs of your “very old laptop”? I missed it. Is this earlier than a Pentium 4? Or an early AMD Athlon?

I have used Palemoon and SeaMonkey successfully on Pentium 4. On Pentium III or earlier, or early Athlon, you need to use a non-SSE version. I still prefer SeaMonkey on the Pentium III’s even though I have to put a “hold” on the version so as to not upgrade beyond the non-SSE version. Also, usually FirefoxESR still works. But not as good on RAM as SeaMonkey. Some of my systems have only 512MB.

Also used successfully on Pentium 3 and 4 – Otter Browser, Nertsurf, Links2.

Seaken64

banned

Hi Ninos,

People have very different ideas on what light, fast, slow, efficient. With my AntiX-22 Full plus Ffox with 20-tabs open I am only using 558MiB RAM.

For some reason people get upset when I show Gimp, Abiword, printer etc actually playing a web video using only 560MiB RAM (7% of 8GiB) CPU @ 18%

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/hello-all-from-uk-hp-g60-3gib-ram-2008/page/2/#post-92517

As you can see the browser is midori which was standard with Trisquel-mini at the time….
          Midori seemed to fall out of fashion but have just had a quick look for you and it seems stronger than ever with an iOS version too.

Midori Browser is a light, fast and secure browser, extremely fast when surfing the web. Midori is available for multiple operating systems and you can find it for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android & very soon it will be available on iOS.”

http://astian.org/en/midori-browser/

Midori Browser is very different from other web browsers, it has an integrated ad blocker, low consumption of ram memory and resources, it is the fastest browser for windows, it integrates a password manager and much more

Hope this helps someone 🙂

Empty Handed

Pale Moon nonsse2 wont save passwords for me.
            Is there any fix around for this?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.