Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook

Forum Forums General Hardware Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook

• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Jan 5-1:35 am by rokytnji.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rikardfribergvs
      Helpful
      Up
      ::

Well

* Sound works (downloaded QMMP and played some mp3:s in internal speaker + headphones)

* No wifi-card (I am trying to get a pcmcia-wireless card through an online auction).

Right now configuring Dosbox

banned
        Helpful
        Up

* Cannot get Midori to work – I can ping sites and use SSH in the terminal but I cannot browse. Might be some setting in Midori maybe.

Did you download from here? Have you asked their forum?

https://astian.org/midori-browser-desktop/

I have used Midori with great success so can’t quite understand all the fuss?
        Super lightweight..! Shipped as standard browser with some light distros.

Good luck

seaken64
          Helpful
          Up

Working with old Pentium-III’s can be fun. I have found antiX to run in GUI mode with as little as 256MB of RAM. But it is better with at least 512MB.

What did your total ram turn out to be? 512? Have you tried expanding the RAM yet? 1GB will do wonders for antiX. But 512MB is enough.

On my 512MB systems I use use SeaMonkey most of the time. Also PaleMoon. Midori has been hit or miss for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just crashes.

I use SMTube for Youtube and mpv for playing video. Audacious is a very good audio player in low memory. I also have had good luck with Cantata.

I can use the forums and browse around, one or two tabs at a time. But no online “cloud” office applications like Google Workspace. But you can share files with Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. – working with them offline.

For booting on old Pentium-II or P-III I usually find success with Plop! boot manager. Make up a Plop! boot CD and put your Live USB in your USB 1.1 port and boot using Plop!. I sometimes have to change the USB Mode to use 1.1.

Have fun with that toughbook!

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by seaken64.
          rikardfribergvs
            Helpful
            Up

Not tried to expand the ram yet – have to find the box with old rams

Got Midori working (TLS-problem – the clock again…)

BUT – Another problem – I found a NETGEAR 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card WG511 v2 that I can plug into the pcmcia-slot. It show on lspci as:

Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)

But is not found when I runt iwconfig. Is there any drivers for this card?

Brian Masinick
              Helpful
              Up

Working with old Pentium-III’s can be fun. I have found antiX to run in GUI mode with as little as 256MB of RAM. But it is better with at least 512MB.

What did your total ram turn out to be? 512? Have you tried expanding the RAM yet? 1GB will do wonders for antiX. But 512MB is enough.

On my 512MB systems I use use SeaMonkey most of the time. Also PaleMoon. Midori has been hit or miss for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just crashes.

I use SMTube for Youtube and mpv for playing video. Audacious is a very good audio player in low memory. I also have had good luck with Cantata.

I can use the forums and browse around, one or two tabs at a time. But no online “cloud” office applications like Google Workspace. But you can share files with Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. – working with them offline.

For booting on old Pentium-II or P-III I usually find success with Plop! boot manager. Make up a Plop! boot CD and put your Live USB in your USB 1.1 port and boot using Plop!. I sometimes have to change the USB Mode to use 1.1.

Have fun with that toughbook!

Seaken64

@Seaken64: this is one of the things we share in common. One of my old computers that I don’t have any more used to have specs similar; a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop system I owned had minimal RAM. When I first got the computer it’d run just about anything around. By the time it was approaching it’s last days I had it, the number of things that continued to work gradually diminished. AntiX was one of the final remaining systems; it really didn’t “lose” any capabilities at all. If I remember, my home was robbed; someone broke in through the side garage door, just using a knife to slip the door open, did the same on the door between the garage and the home, and took the computer I had at home. (I found this out from a police officer who lived across the street from me); the home was “compromised” when nobody was home and the neighborhood was quiet; I think it was a job done by a young person looking for a combination of money and/or computers; the areas around the systems still in the house were ransacked; a luggage bag was also taken, presumably to conveniently “roll” the equipment away without attracting a lot of attention. Fortunately not much else was disturbed; that was enough!

Brian
              Or "The Mas"

Forum Admin
              rokytnji
                Helpful
                Up

Try using ndiswrapper on that pcmcia card you bought. You will have to install it though.

harry@biker:~
                $ apt-cache policy niswrapper
                N: Unable to locate package niswrapper
                harry@biker:~
                $ apt-cache policy ndiswrapper
                ndiswrapper:
                  Installed: (none)
                  Candidate: 1.61-0mx17+3
                  Version table:
                     1.61-0mx17+3 500
                        500 http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/bullseye bullseye/main amd64 Packages

Too bad you did not get lucky and bought you a Belkin F5D 7010 .ver 6 wireless g pcmcia card instead.
                The .ver 6 card chipset is plug and play in antiX. Cannot speak for other versions of the same card.
                https://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
                Old 2004 list. I don’t even think my card I used was even built when that list was made.
                https://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                Not all who Wander are Lost.
                I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
                rokytnji
                  Helpful
                  Up

Just for grins. try

sudo dmesg | grep firmware

See if it says anything about that card.

We will need a

inxi -N

with the card plugged in also. Who knows? Maybe we get lucky.

lucathecomputerwiz
                    Helpful
                    Up

congrats on aquiring a toughbook!
                    I have one of these and love tinkering for endless hours with it. I am quite interested in what you payed for it, loking at all the ebay and facebook listings in the uk all I can see is stock photos with an 800+ gbp price point…
                    in regards to linux, I have had good luck with lubuntu, it is a little bloated but works well and has lots of drivers included…
                    if you want a goot bootloader to slap on a cd to make booting off usbs and stuff posable, check out plop boot manager: https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html
                    with internet, I have not had much sucsess. I would refrain from purchasing a nice pcmcia card without confirming it is suported because for some, you have to install windows and find a driver file in the depths of your C:\ drive.. thats if you can even find propper drivers! this is the case for the netgear card you mentioned you own above, funnily I own the same card and have officially given up with trying to get it to work…
                    the best solution is to pick up a cheap wifi usb to stick in the back single usb port, some of the smaller ones fit with the cover still up which is good.
                    you need to watch out because the cpu does not have the sse2 instruction set so you may need to manualy compile your browser without the sse2 command to get it to work. midori is an exelent choice however if you cannot get it to work you should try palemoon because it is ment to be an exelent single core browser which should help with your memory usage however you must check if you can youse it without sse2 because that may be a limitation.
                    it is best to upgrade your ram to atleast a gig which can be quite expensive seeing as theres only one slot on the motherboard itself… the theoretical maximum ram you can install is with a 1.5gb stick with combined with the 256mb built into the mobo, would give you the closest to 2gb that you culd obtain if 2gb sticks dont work/are not recognised however al of this will cost you a pretty penny so I sudgest holding back unless you can difinatively can get a web browser running…
                    if you have any other questions please reply and I am happy to help…
                    Luca 😀

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji
                      Helpful
                      Up

Have you tried ndiswrapper yet for that Marvel pcmcia card yet.
                      https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/marvell-88w8335-chipset-netgear-wg311-pcicard-driver/

Step 3 should be all you should need to do after installing ndswrapper like I show in the steps in the link. Crosses Fingers cuz I am not sure about ndiswrapper and firmware since it is a windows thingy.
                      A reboot and wireless connection tried with ceni or conman with success is what is hoped for..

lucathecomputerwiz
                        Helpful
                        Up

yeah saw this post before but the only problem I woulf face is downloading the packages as currently there is no ethernet on the laptop, only a modem port…
                        I am unfamiliar with installing linux packages from tar.gz fies although I assume it is fairly simple…
                        does ndiswrapper also work for other driver packages because my model has a touchscreen which would love to get working…
                        Luca 🙂

Forum Admin
                        rokytnji
                          Helpful
                          Up

ndiswrapper is for wireless only as far as I know.
                          Too bad no ethernet cable.
                          Touchscreen should be working out of the box since it is a passive touchscreen .
                          lsusb -v

Should find it and show the driver.
                          dmesg | grep firmware
                          Should list any missing firmware if any is needed.

No ethernet cable means usb hoop jumping in my world.
                          https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ndiswrapper
                          I’d install the dkms .deb also.

Edit: another option
                          https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/id/home_legacy_wired_lan_adapter/ep-4103dl/

out the box support in antiX when everything in bios for pcmcia is enabled.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by rokytnji.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.