Persistent issue

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by christophe Aug 11-9:57 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Danrobi

Hello
    Im running Antix from a USB with persistent static
    Everything is saved except for my mouse speed.
    Everytime i reboot my mouse speed goes back to default
    Thats how i change my mouse speed:
    xinput --set-prop 9 "libinput Accel Speed" -1
    —————-
    Something im doing wrong?
    Thanks!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Danrobi.
    Xecure
    Xecure

Control Center > Hardware > Configure Mouse
    Control Center - Hardware
    With this application the user will be able to change mouse sensitivity and behavior. The cursor size can also be set with this program. Changes will take effect for the current session and will be reset on Reboot. To make changes permanent, the user must “Enable mouse configuration on startup” option in this app.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-control-center-a-small-introduction/#post-24246

Danrobi

Hello
    Thank you, i already went there i did enable the start option before and twice now, I just tried again because it was disable, And still when i enable the start option when im rebooting the start option is disable. Im using satic option only and i launch Antix. Is this the issue? Should i be using another persistent option? I thought it was only the command line that im using that wasnt getting saved. But now i can see even the start option does not get saved. Weird because everthing else so for remains saved after a reboot. I use that command line because the mouse speed is too high even with the lowest mouse speed option in control center / mouse option. So, its not a big deal, i was just wondering if i should use another persistent option may be? Is static suppose to save everything just fine?
    Thanks again

Xecure
    Xecure

Maybe it is related to having a homefs file (we don’t know if you created one, if so, delete it) or having nosavestate boot option enabled instead of savestate. I am not sure what the problem is, but static_root should also save your /home folders. Maybe one of the devs can confirm what the possible problem is.

For now, try this:
    go to Control center > Session > User Desktiop-Session
    In the startup file, add two new lines (at the end if you want)

#reduce mouse acceleration
    xinput –-set-prop 9 "libinput Accel Speed" -1

or whatever is your code (next time use the “code” tags when pasting code in the forum)
    Save the file, close Geany and reboot.

Once you restart, first check if you have “fixed” your mouse acceleration problem. If not, again check the startup file. If what you added is no longer there, then there is a problem saving changes in your home folder. To make sure it is not only in your ~/.desktop-session/ folder, try downloading something and saving it in ~/Downloads/, and restarting. if it is no longer there on reboot, then we are sure that your /home folder is not saving for some reason in your static_root rootfs file.

Report back so that someone more knowledgeable can help you if you have problems with your static persistence.

Danrobi

Hello Xecure
    Its working now. Thank you!
    I got a question
    Can i install antiX on the USB drive instead of using a persistent option?
    Like this its okay? https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-os-on-usb-drive/

christophe
    christophe

Yes. You can do it. Give it a try. I used to do that before I started using antiX. The antiX installer should install without problems to a USB partition of at least 4 GB, I believe. I found that the antiX Live USB with static persistence is faster, but perhaps you will find it otherwise. It may depend on the speed of your computer, whether the performance is good enough. 😉

Danrobi

Hello christophe
    I see, thats good to know. Thank you.
    Well, i do not have another machine to do some test, i want to ask you a question. So, thats how i boot, i press f5 i choose static persistent and i choose the first antiX option in the list. Is booting this way do save everything only on the USB drive? Thats the good way, if i want to unplug the USB and plug it into any other machine, with no change in antiX? Or, should i be using another persistent option to do that?
    Thanks!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Danrobi.
    christophe
    christophe

Yes. Same settings for each computer you use it on. Still using static persistence.
    I think it’s the coolest thing! It’s a complete personalized, operating system that can be used on basically any computer you see lying around! 😉

Now, if you want to always keep your boot options, press F8 and choose “Save.”
    Then it will always boot whatever your choices were as the new default, until you change it and save it again. (You can also “reset” if you want to go back to the original plain setup.)

Danrobi

Great! I’ll stick with static persistent
    Thanks for the saving tips and Thank you for the help christophe
    I dont know if you know about that. When i first setup the USB at the storage part, i only allowed 6gb of my 16gb
    Can i change that to 16gb without losing my saved static persistent? Or, i should just redo everything?
    I was afraid to allow all the 16gb 🙁 Is it okay to allow the full amount of the USB? Or, do i need to leave some space?
    Thanks again

Danrobi

Well, i just went try the f8 save option. Turns out i dont have the f8 option.
    So, i went dive in a bit inside f1 help and i dont have the f8 because i burned the ISO with dd form the terminal
    I did that because the startup disk wasnt seeing antiX
    Thats my noob luck i guess lol Its okay tho, i dont mind to do f5 static 🙂

christophe
    christophe

You can “remaster” (in Control Centre) — that is, roll your persistence changes into the main file system, and start over with an empty persistence file. To do that, you need to have a bit of space on your usb drive (like you have). (I normally use 1-2 GB persistence & remaster when it gets to half or 3/4 full or so.)

Once you remaster, it will ask you if you want to create a new root persistence file. Say no here. In antiX 17, it will only allow up to create persistence up to your amount of installed RAM. In antiX 19 (beta right now), it has been updated to allow more for static persistence. But if you wait until the next boot-up to create your new persistence file, in antiX 17, then you can then choose basically any size you want (like you did the first time).

Then, after remastered & reboot, I delete the old (now obsolete) persistence files with the “set up persistence” program in the Control Centre.

It’s a bit complex to tell it all here. Maybe that’s enough to go on?
    I just kinda got it down by playing with it. 😉
    And look at the FAQs regarding this. Helped me a lot.

But I recommend the static-persistence-to-remaster-to-static-persistence (& repeat) cycle.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by christophe.
    Danrobi

Ok, perfect, thank you!
    I was wondering, if eventually i’d have to watch the video “remaster your antiX live-USB” from dolphin_oracle. Now, i know 🙂
    Thank you for your support christophe. I’ll let you know after the “attempt”

Danrobi

Why i knew i’d have issues? lol
    I’ve watched the “remaster” video and went look for remaster option in control center. Turns out i do not have a remaster option: https://imgur.com/0cD1r51
    I have a remaster in menu/applications/system tools. However, when i open remaster i have this error: https://imgur.com/RT7sL9B
    My rootfs is already at 83% used and does have 6gb(I choosed default, if i recall correctly. I thought with “default” only 4gb would have been taking not 6gb. Whats the minimum i should give for rootfs?). My homefs has 41% used and does actually have 8gb: https://imgur.com/gCtO9TT
    So, the USB is in fact almost fully used. Is this why i have no “remaster” option? like you said “To do that, you need to have a bit of space on your usb drive (like you have)”
    Turns out i dont? 6+8=14, my drive=16. I should have 2gb somewhere empty, right?
    Also, my boot-dev folder doesnt have the same files/folders that i saw in the “remaster” video. My boot-dev folder: https://imgur.com/KWfBgnK

christophe
    christophe

If it were me, I’d back up anything important & start over. I’m sure there’s some way around it, but I don’t know it.

Do you have a way (second usb drive?) to make a “full-featured” live usb from antiX’s Live-USB-Maker (not dd)?

That’s the way to proceed, in my opinion. I think if you restart with a full-featured usb, you will be on the right track.

A side note: if you use the Live-usb-storage folder to hold your bigger files, documents, etc, then your home persistence file doesn’t need to be big. (I set mine at 500 MB, only.) Move your main file folders from your home directory into the Live-usb-storage directory. Make sure you set your browsers to download to /home/demo/Live-usb-storage/Downloads instead of /home/demo/Downloads. (There is a more sophisticated way of doing it, but leave that for another time…)

I say that because a good disk space usage scheme will help when it does come time to remaster. (But I think you need the full featured antix usb (not dd-made) to successfully remaster.)

Danrobi

Hello christophe
    I did use the Live-USB-Maker from with-in antiX. Worked, the Live-USB-Maker did see the antiX ISO. Burned the new ISO, configured the antiX like i did the first time and i did my first remaster.
    Although, now i have an issue with VPN in the tray. I setup my VPN, the VPN/network icon is there in tray, but when im trying to connect it doesnt work. Theres a notice now that says: device not connected. I did not have that before and my PC is actually connected. Thats weird because i did the exact same thing. I noted everything i had to do when i first configured the VPN to work. Again, im in trouble…
    You said “I say that because a good disk space usage scheme will help when it does come time to remaster”
    Indeed! I had over 3gb just from upgrading at the first launch. After the remaster, i was at 8mb lol
    Its a very cool feature, i love it!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Danrobi.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.