suggest: additional default items in Personal Menu

Forum Forums antiX-development Development suggest: additional default items in Personal Menu

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 17-7:21 pm by sleekmason.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sleekmasonsleekmason

A suggestion to place:
    [exec] (Personal Menu) {geany ~/.fluxbox/personal}
    as one of the items that ships with the distro, and maybe a couple of examples in the personal menu once you open it that can be un-commented to provide examples:

#[exec] (Lxterminal-ROOT) {/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/lxterminal}
    #[exec] (Rox-filer -ROOT) {/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/rox-filer}

(Not necessarily these:) The only link is for a video which may not work for everybody. (no internet)

regards,

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by sleekmason.

I agree that inclusion of additional default items could be useful.
    Have you viewed the video yet, though, and/or tested the MenuManager utility?
    video: “antiX 15 – Personal Menu & Menu Manager”

Asking because… the personal menu directory is shared across WMs (does not reside under ~/.fluxbox) … and, manually, you would add items by populating the dir with .desktop files and afterward, running the “Update Menu” command (not by editing some “personal” file). Said differently, no such “personal” menufile exists; the menu entries are generated dynamically. edit: whoops — this last statement is incorrect. Refer to the followup post, below.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by skidoo.
    sleekmasonsleekmason

I’m behind the times;) Looks like a bit of research on my part would be wise before I start popping stuff out there.
    I’m looking forward to learning and doing more now that my life is calming down a bit. Thank you for the update!

sleekmasonsleekmason

A very nice utility indeed! where then, does the main file reside? That is, if I wanted to add things manually for whatever reason.

Oops, I misspoke. A file on disk ~/.fluxbox/personal does exist.
    That file is populated by, and updated by, the antiX MenuManager utility.

In the earlier post, my train-of-thought went offtrack at “Said differently” ~~ the intended caveat was:
    Your manual edits are subject to being overwritten; “Update Menus” command (and/or) use of MenuManager utility dynamically re-populates the content.
    To avoid that, “manual” intervention should consist of placement of .desktop files (dragged, copied, and/or hand-edited) into
    ~/.local/share/TCM/applications/

The MenuManager targets novice/casual users, and the UpdateMenus mechanism facilitates populating “all-at-once” (across all of fluxbox, JWM, iceWM).
    An advanced or fluxbox-only user might prefer to disregard “Personal” and, instead, manually maintain a separate [submenu] section within the ~/.fluxbox/menu file.

sleekmasonsleekmason

In checking out ~/.local/share/applications/TCM, I see that there is no .txt file to edit manually. Is there a way to symlink a .txt file to make direct changes without opening the editor?
    Obviously this isn’t a big deal as there is a way to write paths in the editor, but for my uses where I add a bunch of obscure stuff like bash scripts and the like, having a direct way to interact would be preferable.

If not, like you said, I’ll just edit the .fluxbox file and call it good. so long as the editor is not used, ~/.fluxbox/personal won’t get overwritten.

What a balance it is to get everything for everybody. Damn near impossible I guess.

No ~/.local/share/TCM/applications/*.txt file exists.

“manual” intervention should consist of placement of .desktop files (dragged, copied, and/or hand-edited) into
    ~/.local/share/TCM/applications/

As shipped, you would find only one .desktop file residing there.
    If you open that .desktop file in editor, note its “Name=” string.
    The “Update Menus” command (also, same script is called by MenuMaker, IIRC)
    1) parses any .desktop file residing in this dir
    2) uses the Name= and Exec= to build the menu entries
    3) overwrites ~/.fluxbox/personal …as well as the analagoues residing under ~(jwm|icewm) if those dirs exist *

* Actually, I think it currently blindly attempts to write, without testing existence of those paths.
    If you uninstall any of the 3 menu-ed WMs, you might notice errmsgs logged with each menu update operation.

“An advanced or fluxbox-only user might prefer to disregard “Personal” and, instead, manually maintain a separate [submenu] section within the ~/.fluxbox/menu file.”

Is there a way to [...] make direct changes without opening the editor?

In the screenshot, notice that I’ve inserted “meta” menu entries within the menu.
    edit fb KEYbinds
    edit fb init file
    edit this fb MENU

If I expected to frequently add/remove entries to personal submenu, I would insert an additional [exec] line to launch geany ~/.fluxbox/personal
    vs
    wade muh way through using MenuManager
    vs
    the easy {cough} “without opening the editor” way ~~~~~ finding and dragging, or creating .desktop files in TCM directory… and performing “UpdateMenus”
    Does this suit what you’re asking?

a

sleekmasonsleekmason

Yep:) That was awesome Thank you!

ileile

hello sleekmason
    You have just stated exactly what I have been thinking of saying To You. Not about menus, but about Your avatar. Yep:) That is awesome Thank You! The Picasso esque intriguing genuine art article is much enjoyed little piece of art.

sleekmasonsleekmason

Thank you ile!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.