PFO Back with older HP Laptop

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions PFO Back with older HP Laptop

• This topic has 84 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Feb 6-3:19 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    PFOPFO

Hey Dawgs,

PFO back after a year˙s hiatus with a very OLD HP laptop in an equallyy old country – Hezegovina, full of very old computers running primarily WIN XP.

HP – HSTNN-105C
    Celeron M – 1.50GHz
    RAM 504Meg – HD 55GB
    Compaq nx 6110
    Matshita UJ 840 D DVD/CD-ROM
    TI 1394 Net Adaptor – OHCI Com client – 01-07-01
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller – 17-06-04
    Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN 3.100.46.0 – 22-12-04

Looks like a candidate for the Flintstones version of antiX.

Have downloaded Contents-i386.gz – but uncertain how to proceed.

Suggestions gladly followed . . .
    PFO

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Download the 32 bit iso from an appropriate mirror here:

Download

With only 512MB RAM, don’t expect Internet browsing to be smooth.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

christophechristophe

I recommend that you learn to like using the Links2 web browser. It takes a bit to get used to, but browses web pages using very little RAM. And it comes pre-installed on antiX.

PFOPFO

OK Dawgs,

Downloaded:

antiX-19.2_386-core.iso – 2020-03-28 18:15 315M

guessing that a slim version can be added to easier than a fat version can be slimed down.

I guess WIN XP will burn this to my sole DVD without any problems – Please advise, if there is a TRICK I need to know to burn DVD.

Christophe – thanx for Links2 WEB Browser ref. I like FALKON although uncertain if it will work on my Flintstones machine.

Carry-on til you are carrion . . .

PFO

capreacaprea

I highly recommend to choose at least the base version. Core version is without GUI or desktop.
    And please take the antiX-19.2.1-version.It includes bug-fixes.
    The DVD you have to “burn as image” .

christophechristophe

I see you went for the core version. Only do that if you know how to build up your graphical desktop session yourself, or you only want to run it text-interface-only.

We have tips & tricks advice here on the forum for that if you want to do that, but perhaps the base iso download or full will be more to your liking.
    Base and full come out-of-the-box with a “normal” desktop environment. Using about 80-90 mb ram upon startup.

Edit – ah. Caprea beat me to it.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by christophe.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Just to add that booting the live dvd will also seem slow.
    Once installed, you should see marked improvement.
    What are you hoping to do on that old laptop?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

With your skill level. I recommend downloading the full iso myself. Base iso is not easy for beginners and ram usage won’t be much different at idle.

Here is a screenshot of your post in Links2 browser < Mentioned earlier >

Edit: I know run with the dolphin youtube site is in english. But Hopefully the pictures will get you through the install process.

@nd edit: another reason I mention the full iso is because of your broadcom chips. Not sure if base iso has libs,firmware, covered or not.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PFOPFO

Hey Dawgs,

Caprea – I’ll download 19.2.1 full version and ‘burn as image’ to DVD with NERO 6.6.0.3 Enterprise Edition. Dats watz on dis XP HP Celeron M laptop and I want to walk thru what others with these old Flintstone models will have to do to “upgrade to antiX”.

Christophe – Yes, thanx the “normal desktop” is essential to us point & klik doomers.

Anticapitalista – Just arrived in country – Herzegovina – and was given this HP Celerom M laptop. I’d like to get it up to antix maximum speed and network with a bazillion other Flintstone era boxes here in Slavic Central Europe over existing telephone wire using Korea Telecom’s GIGA Wire-2.0 / +1.0 Mbs speed technology.

Roky – Thanx for creating a linux flavor so low on RAM usage. Most of the famlies here can’t afford the latest digital daddy-wack machines required to rent latest ver. of CRAPPLE, GULAG or MACROSLOTH.

BUT, once there are a few installs of antiX on ancient boxes, and kids are suddenly surfing the WEB at Bps comparible to glass – antiX linux will become very popular and you’ll have to have a mirror site here, which I’m happy to set-up and have several kids manage.

No worries, they all speak perfect English and will devour ‘Run with the Dolphin’ videos!

Carry-on Dawgs til you are carrion . . .

PFO

PS Just in case DVD burn don’t work – somebody posted terminal commands to launch install from iso on C: or presumably a thumbdrive. But can’t seem to find the post and would appreciate info. if you have it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

I needed to test this forum function anyway

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/search/boot+from+iso/?gdpos=power-search-request

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

hi PFO,

as I mentioned in the pm before noticing this thread is those machines with 512 mb ram and higher
    maybe able to run the “palemoon non-sse2” package for a browser with 1 or 2 tabs open. good luck
    on getting them up and connected. I can test on a compaq 2200 laptop and see the ram usage using
    a default install soon for base and full antix-19.2.1 32 bit.

edit: you also should make a 512 mb to 1 gb swap partition as well.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added to it

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Hi!
    For web browsing on a very low resources machine, I would advise you to check out the “badwolf” browser. It’s vary barebones (no start page/history/favorites) but it does allow you do use modern web pages in way less than 500 Mb… You can use gmail, the forum, even youtube (but if you click the video stream- for example to ignore adds-, it freezes the stream). To use pages with JavaScript – like the ones I mentioned, click the “JS” button- making sure it’s background is blue…

If you want badwolf to allow you a “regular” use of the web, start it a command similar to this:
    badwolf duckduckgo.com
    or
    badwolf google.com
    etc
    You can edit badwolf’s .dekstop file to make sure it always starts displaying you “home” page:

sudo geany /usr/share/applications/badwolf.desktop

and replace in this line “Exec=badwolf %U” the “%U” with the address for the home page you want: example:
    Exec=badwolf duckduckgo.com

then update the menu:
    sudo desktop-menu --write-out-global

Now, if you start badwolf from the menu (or from a desktop or toolbar icon), it will automaticaly show duckduckgo search page…
    There are some very good starpages you can use with badwolf to make it’s use simpler…
    examples:

https://www.protopage.com/
    https://www.ighome.com/
    (check out more examples over at https://www.lifewire.com/top-personalized-start-pages-for-your-web-browser-3486281 )

P.

Since I wrote the above post, I began experimenting with badwolf again…
    A nice way to start it with JavaScript enabled and also ready to start typing away at the search engine is a very long, but simple command:

eval $(echo badwolf duckduckgo.com) & sleep 0.5 && xdotool key alt+j && xdotool key Tab Tab Tab Tab

you can try saving that on line script as ~/goodwolf.sh, make it executable and put it on the badwolf’s .desktop file

This opens badwolf on the duckduckgo search engine web page, emulate “alt+j” to press the JavaScript button, then emulates 4 tab presses, to put the cursor right at duckduckgo’s search field… For now it’s as user friendly as badwolf gets…

P.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by PPC.
    XecureXecure

Off-topic about badwolf

For web browsing on a very low resources machine, I would advise you to check out the “badwolf” browser. […] even youtube (but if you click the video stream- for example to ignore adds-, it freezes the stream)

Could you try installing it from terminal with this command?
    sudo apt install --install-recommends badwolf

I was compiling a new version and thoght the issue was fixed with the new version but i resintalled it again using the above command from the antiX repo and now youtube doesn’t freeze when skiping adds or pressing youtube buttons (at least on my testing machine). The only negative is that it uses a bit more ram. I need to keep experimenting.

The problem with badwolf is that it may not work on 32 bit machines that require non-SSE2 browsers (not tested I believe).

@Xecure- still off-topic- but just a quick reply- after force reisntalling with “depends” it’s the same- all youtube video buttons work prefecly well, but the “skip ad” one just freezes the tab…

Back on topic- not sure if the computer mentioned on the OP can run badwolf, if can, it’s probably the best chance of having a modern usable browser under half a gig of RAM… And still, keep an eye on the RAM usage, more than one tab may be too much to 512Mb of RAM (depending of how complex the webpage is)…
    For youtube videos, I would use “smtube”- it works very well on low powered devices, and it plays “ad free” videos and allows to download videos! For e-mail- probably using Claws is a safe bet- it’s a bit “ugly” but gets the job done.

P.

Edit: the OP’s computer may run badwolf – just for kicks, I checked on-line… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2 says “The following IA-32 CPUs support SSE2: … Intel Pentium M and Celeron M”

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.