PFO Back with older HP Laptop

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions PFO Back with older HP Laptop

• This topic has 84 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Feb 6-3:19 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

update here,

The 19.2.1 base supports my broadcom wifi 4306 chip, not sure
    the chip number based on original post. the broadcom
    440x ethernet should be. The regular palemoon works but has 280-300 mb
    ram usage and 85-100% cpu usage. browsing most sites are slow on it to load
    the whole page. Firefox loads but is 100% cpu constantly.

I will have to look into other “light” browsers for usability and stability.

I didn’t see an antiX-19.2.1 full iso on the server only base. The full was

This is a compaq presario 2200 laptop with a celeron M 1.4ghz and 512mb ram
    intel 855 chipset and has the realtek ethernet. and 1 GB swap partition.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

PFOPFO

Hey Dagws,

Have NERO 6.6.0.3 up and ready to burn antix base – core or full on a
    “Multi-border DVD with more than 4.0 GB of Data Not Readable Past First Border”

Seems to be old software unable to interface with new DVD sizes. But if it would load FULL as a bootable that would be optimum!

Your advice?
    PFO

Hey Dagws,

Have NERO 6.6.0.3 up and ready to burn antix base – core or full on a
    “Multi-border DVD with more than 4.0 GB of Data Not Readable Past First Border”

Seems to be old software unable to interface with new DVD sizes. But if it would load FULL as a bootable that would be optimum!

Your advice?
    PFO

I’m not sure if I understood your problem correctly… if Nero is complaining because of the blank dvd-rom you tried to burn “antix full 32 bits” try a new disk, from another brand… I have not burned dvd-roms in a very long time, but I’, not aware the DVD size changed… Can you try to burn the iso to DVD-ROM on another computer?

P.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

My personal advice is to use another tool. I tried nero many years ago and while I don’t remember exactly what happened I remember that it was a frustrating experience.

There are plenty of reliable CD and DVD burners if that is the technology you have available.

I’ll update you with a few suggestions later…

Brian Masinick

https://www.techradar.com/best/the-best-free-dvd-burner mentioned that there are a lot of DVD burners available.

These ones look like they’re available for Windows based systems.

I’ll check for some specific to Linux…
    Be back soon…

Brian Masinick

https://www.techdrivein.com/2011/03/9-good-cd-and-dvd-burning-tools-for.html

Nero is one of the choices but there are others. I’ve used k3b, brasero, and xfburn many times and they are all easier to use than nero. Be aware that some of the choices are KDE-based (k3b) or GNOME (gnome-baker).

xfburn uses gtk but is moderate in size and scope.

Command line tools are an alternative if you are comfortable with the command line.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: One of the links is dead

Brian Masinick

@PFO: As mentioned before, if you are trying to burn the DVD using MS Windows, you can try doing with other software than Nero- I remember using infrearecorder ( available at http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5 )
    P.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by PPC.
    linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

@PFO …. one thing to try is to burn the iso to a standard CD-R disk instead of a dvd. the early
    burners had compatibilty issues with DVD-R and DVD+R disks. it may be the hardware itself not nero.
    The iso image will fit on a 700mb CD-R disk.

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

as for earlier post on browsing. after an update palemoon smoothed
    out but has delays playing and pausing the antix video on the home page
    with the mouse and conky shows at about 270-300mb usage. The chromium browser
    shows about same usage and has smoother playing and pausing with the mouse.
    most websites loaded ok except youtube with all the ads and graphics took a
    while. after it loaded was able to play videos at 240p ok. both have high
    cpu usage on this dinosaur …. 1.4ghz celeron M. but are useable.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: attached pic
    Attachments:

Normal == 🙂

@linuxdaddy: Good suggestions and great work with the old hardware!

I hope this is helpful to others too.

Brian Masinick

I have had good success with SeaMonkey with NoScript added. Palemoon and Chromium also run on that equipment. One or two tabs at a time. And best to use SMTube or Streamlight or youtube-dl for YT instead of the browser. I have several old machines with 512MB or less running antiX.

Is there a USB port? Loading Live or Installing with both DVD/CD and LiveUSB using from=usb will make it nicer than just from DVD/CD.

Seaken64

I have had good success with SeaMonkey with NoScript added. Palemoon and Chromium also run on that equipment. One or two tabs at a time. And best to use SMTube or Streamlight or youtube-dl for YT instead of the browser. I have several old machines with 512MB or less running antiX.
    Seaken64

Hi, have you ever tried Ungoogled Chromium? It even has a 32 bits version available, over at https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?package=ungoogled-chromium&project=home:ungoogled_chromium (Click the Debian logo > “Grab binary packages directly” and then choose the deb file you want…ex: “Debian Buster” > …i386.deb)
    Last time I tried it on a 32bits laptop it ran quite decently, and stays way under 512Mb of RAM usage (as long as you stay with one open tab or several “basic” tabs open)
    But, to be honest, on low resources, nothing beats Badwolf browsers on terms of speed and low ram usage (at least not in my limited tests)- unfortunately, the lack of a real home page and also favorites makes Badwolf a pain to use (but I tested having a terminal window with nano open- I created a basic Bookmarks text file. If I set Badwolf as default browser, I can click the links on the nano window, and they open on Badwolf, but that’s an ugly work around that also costs a little extra RAM…)

P.

PFOPFO

Hey Dawgs,

So here I am after two weeks playing with a BASIC install of 19.20.1 and it works pretty well! Several programs – Links2, Manage Packages, Package Installer, etc. simply do not work. So, I have a few questions:

A. What is the command that prints out the status on my laptop, to assist bug-fix & optimizing?

B. How do I UPGRADE to FULL install of 19.20.1 OR 19.30 without burning a DVD?
    (No access to DVD burner.)

C. Other suggestions?

Carry-on til you are carrion . . .

PFO

For anyone reading, the latest Badwolf has, thanks to excellent work by clever forum members
    ppc and xecure now been vastly improved.
    For anyone with older hardware an excellent choice. Please take advice from seaken64.
    No you tube in a browser, we rarely do that even on modern machines..

Please also use the one click install hosts file ad blocking, that helps to reduce both machine and internet
    connection loading.

PFOPFO

Hi Moddlt,

Interesting answer, but I have absolutely no idea what you`re trying to tell me.

Again, can anyone answer my two questions above?

PFO

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.