pipe-viewer YouTube player

Forum Forums General Software pipe-viewer YouTube player

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jun 20-8:24 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Over at https://www.linuxlinks.com/pipe-viewer-lightweight-youtube-client/ I read about about pipe-viewer – it’s a tiny little youtube player, that was previously discussed in the forum. Unlike the currently GUI player YT antiX uses, this one allows to subscribe channels, and works directly, without the need for a webpage.
      The article has steps to build the .deb file, that can then be installed – on my dual core, that took some 2-3 minutes.
      It can be configured to use low res (360p or 480p) quality video, so it should work even on the weakest PC out there, playing the video directly with MPV.

P.

olsztyn

I read about about pipe-viewer – it’s a tiny little youtube player, that was previously discussed in the forum.

Thank you @PPC!
        I just tried both command level and GUI and my first impression – very nice. It seems to have about the same CPU requirements as SMTube. Uses the MPV player, just as SMTube on my test machine.
        One thing I have not determined yet is whether it interrupts with commercial advertisements. SMTube does not via right click as you taught us about two years ago in this forum.
        I am going to keep this pipe viewer as it is very nice and it is growing on me as I am testing…\
        Thanks very much for this discovery!

Update:
        After some initial testing:
        – Memory footprint of pipe-viewer (GUI one) appears to be way better than SMTube
        – Functionality appears similar
        – Menus seem clearer/easier
        – CPU utilization about the same
        – Seems to always run in max resolution.
        – Not tested adds yet. If no adds then overall seems to have advantage vs. SMTube on memory.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

Just to update, it appears it does not have youtube adds, if I am not mistaken. Looks like it works better and has more options than SMTube.
          I am not sure I like it is developed in Perl script, instead of compiled executable, but in practice it seems to work nicely, has more options and automatically adjusts to maximize screen resolution.
          Great find. Thanks @PPC!

PPC

– Seems to always run in max resolution.

You can change that (useful for low powered computers): in the GUI version- Menu > Preferences > ” resolution => ” > Change the value of this field to the desired default resolution (like 360,480,720,1080). On the lower section of the main window you can select the resolution on the video (you have to scroll down a bit).

Edit: subscribing to channel is not very intuitive (and I think it’s a very poorly placed option): right click a video > Author > Subscribe.
            You can access your Subscribed video list (that includes some default entries): Menu > Saved Channels > Click the channel you want to view

P.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
            olsztyn

You can change that (useful for low powered computers): in the GUI version- Menu > Preferences > ” resolution => ” > Change the value of this field to the desired default resolution (like 360,480,720,1024). On the lower section of the main window you can select the resolution on the video (you have to scroll down a bit).

Thanks. I did not see this adjustment before, although there was no particular need in my case either, since it runs perfectly fine on my X61 Core2Duo from 2008… So max default resolution was the best.
              On my Thinkpad T410 (1440×900) it works better than SMTube as it uses the max resolution, while SMTube had to be 720p.
              So, it seems the best Youtube player I know of so far.

Xunzi_23

olstyn wrote,

On my Thinkpad T410 (1440×900) it works better than SMTube as it uses the max resolution, while SMTube had to be 720p.
                So, it seems the best Youtube player I know of so far.

SM Tube does not have to be 720P, it can be set to user choice…..
                Runs fine at max resolution on my laptop, also a T410 with best color rendering high resolution screen available at time of screen swap.

BobC

Sorry for jumping in here so late. Its been a long winter for me. Did anyone ever create a .deb and list of dependencies needed for pipe-viewer or GTK pipe-viewer?

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

abc-nix

Did anyone ever create a .deb and list of dependencies needed for pipe-viewer or GTK pipe-viewer?

On their git repo, they say you can make the deb from this site. Give a bit of time and I will try building it.

EDIT: makedeb is complete crap. I will look into it tonight to build this package the proper Debian way.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by abc-nix.
                    AlexZaz

Hi BobC,

This is my way to install and keep pipe-viewer updated:

I install the following dependencies:

sudo apt install libwww-perl liblwp-protocol-https-perl libdata-dump-perl libjson-perl libfile-sharedir-perl libgtk3-perl libmodule-build-perl liblwp-useragent-chicaching-perl libterm-readline-gnu-perl libjson-xs-perl libunicode-linebreak-perl

And I install and maintain the application with this script:

#!/bin/bash

lastversion() {

basename $(curl -fs -o/dev/null -w %{redirect_url} $1/releases/latest)

}

#pipe-viewer

ins_rel=”$(pipe-viewer –version | grep “CLI Pipe Viewer”)”

echo “Current version: “$ins_rel

ins_rel=$(echo ${ins_rel//[a-z,A-Z. :]/})

#echo $ins_rel

last_github_rel=$(lastversion https://github.com/trizen/pipe-viewer)

echo “Latest release available: “$last_github_rel

last_github_rel=$(echo ${last_github_rel//[a-z,A-Z. :]/})

#echo $last_github_rel

if [[ “$ins_rel” != “$last_github_rel” ]]; then

echo “Download and Install of the new release of Pipe-viewer”

cd /tmp

wget https://github.com/trizen/pipe-viewer/archive/main.zip -O pipe-viewer-main.zip

unzip -n pipe-viewer-main.zip

cd pipe-viewer-main

perl Build.PL

sudo ./Build installdeps

sudo ./Build install

perl Build.PL –gtk

sudo ./Build installdeps

sudo ./Build install

else

echo “No Pipe-viewer update available”

fi

Of course, a desktop file should be created to add the application to the menu.

It is not the deb file but, if this can help someone…

Regards, and thanks again for this incredible distro.

olsztyn

EDIT: makedeb is complete crap. I will look into it tonight to build this package the proper Debian way.

Thank you @abc-nix…
                        Greatly appreciated.

abc-nix

It took longer than expected, but here it is: pipe-viewer for antiX 23.

I had some issues with figuring out the real dependencies from the “Recommended” (optional), and a lot of testing until I found a working configuration.

EDIT: 5 MBs of dependencies at least.

The source is separated in 2 packages:
                          pipe-viewer (the cli tool)
                          gtk-pipe-viewer (the GUI tool)

pipe-viewer (CLI) standalone package works and was created separate from the GTK gui to reduce dependencies and get a smaller install for those who (like me) only plan to use the terminal. gtk-pipe-viewer (GUI) will require also the installation of the pipe-viewer package, so make sure you install them at the same time (or first pipe-viewer and later gtk-pipe-viewer).

A warning for those who plan to use the GUI version. You need to change the configuration so that the terminal is roxterm instead of rxvt. Or you won’t be able to “play audio only” or “play in terminal”.

My use is to run the CLI version with the -n or “no-video” option, as I only use it to listen to music (this way music plays in the background and no mpv or vlc window gets open).

I may have removed some dependencies that add extra features, and will add them as “Recommends” once they are identified. If you find any issue, please let me know and I will try to fix the build.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by abc-nix.
                          olsztyn

It took longer than expected, but here it is:

Many thanks @abc-nix!
                            Installed and works nicely…
                            Greatly appreciated.

BobC

Thanks for getting it working. I’m away on vacation with no computer for the first time in 3 decades, so won’t be able to try it till next week.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Anonymous

I’ve used FreeTube awhile https://freetubeapp.io/#download It sounds similar. no ads, you can have subscriptions, playlists, and so forth with a no-login “account”. Most of the things you would do with a real YouTube account except leave comments. It’s a 70.5mb .deb. I know it uses significantly less RAM than firefox because I use it on a chromebox w/ 2G of RAM and monitor it. No dependencies.

It did take a bit for me to get it in the menu on iceWM/antiX-23.1, but that’s probably because I’m new w/ iceWM.

oh, and it has a downloader w/ a lot of format options. I’ve used it to download music videos as audio files, haven’t tried just downloading videos.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.