Pipewire and volumeicon startup proposed solution for antiX 23

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Pipewire and volumeicon startup proposed solution for antiX 23

• This topic has 138 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Jan 31-10:54 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    abc-nix

@ultas, did you install antiX 23 full or base?

Brian Masinick

Both of the ideas work for me; on older systems maybe the delays are needed to account for slower process initiation.

You are certainly very fortunate.The pipewire-start scripts do not work for me.Wireplumber is not always loaded,then there’s no sound.The above method from abc-nix until now works perfect here. It seems on some older systems also a longer delay for volumeicon is needed.

Fortunate on ONE of my systems; trying the same thing on a DIFFERENT HP system, the much older HP Pavilion S5737 desktop may very well yield an entirely different result!

Haven’t exercised that one much lately; it’s too slow for daily stuff, at least after being used to a laptop that’s more than a decade newer, with components that are orders of magnitude faster; that makes a HUGE difference. The Lenovo X201 laptop I also have is a very solid, reliable system, but it’s also very slow compared to my every day system. Most stuff works there, but after being used to faster stuff it can be difficult to patiently wait for responses, so the newer hardware is my practical every day unit that I regularly use.

--
        Brian Masinick

ultas

full

ultas

@ultas, did you install antiX 23 full or base?

Full

abc-nix

full

Great. You can follow the steps in this post and this will help us know what is going on.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions before checking the basics.

Lets check first if pipewire is running. Run in terminal:
              pgrep -l wire
              It should list pipewire, wireplumber and pipewire-pulse

Now check to see if volumeicon starts from terminal, and if it doesn’t, share the error message you see.
              volumeicon

If it shows up, then for some reason it didn’t start from the starup file properly. Edit $HOME/.desktop-session/startup
              xdg-open $HOME/.desktop-session/startup
              find the line that has voumeicon and add a few seconds to the sleep command. It could look like this:
              sleep 7 && volumeicon &

And reboot.

If something fails on any of the steps above, stop there and report what error you found.

anti-apXos

Thanks for this tip. It’s working great for me. What worked for me before was launching pipewire, followed by pipewire-pulse, then a 3 second sleep, and then wireplumber. That also seemed to work 100% of the time, but this is nicer.

Is anyone else having an issue with the shutdown scripts when running pipewire/wireplumber, though? Regardless of which method I use to get pipewire up and running or what order I launch the cpmponents in, I get a hang on shutdown. A process doesn’t terminate or kill. The pstree output shows a dbus-daemon. I guess I could edit 01killsig script, but I’d like a proper solution. No one else is experiencing this?

PPC

abc-nix wrote a very easy to use tutorial, but some people are afraid to do “complex” stuff like following easy instructions to edit files and also run terminal commands…
                  So I tried to automatize all that abc-nix suggestes and allow terminal commands to be used to make the necessary edits to the config files:

antiX Menu > Terminal:

`mkdir $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire
                  cp /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/
                  sed -i ‘/^context.exec/a { path = “pipewire-pulse” args = “” }’ $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                  sed -i ‘/^context.exec/a { path = “wireplumber” args = “” }’ $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                  sed -i ‘s/pipewire-start/pipewire/g’ $HOME/.desktop-session/startup`

Edit: Sorry! By mistake, I copied non working code. the correct commands (that should work) are:

mkdir $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire
                  sed -i '/^context.exec/a { path = "pipewire-pulse" args = "" }' $HOME/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                  sed -i '/^context.exec/a { path = "wireplumber" args = "" }' $HOME/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                  sed -i 's/pipewire-start/pipewire/g' $HOME/.desktop-session/startup

And reboot your computer. If all goes well, volumeicon will appear and you’ll have audio working normally using pipewire (i.e. you won’t ever need to use apulse to have sound working).

P.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                  • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                  PPC

Like I stated on https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-released/page/10/#post-116674
                    Even if pipewire seems to be managing sound correctly, running antiX-23 live on my Dell desktop pc (sound works, soundtest runs fine) I had no audio testing Youtube on Ms Edge- but running it with apulse worked perfectly.
                    Is there something that I’m missing?
                    P.

olsztyn

Even if pipewire seems to be managing sound correctly, running antiX-23 live on my Dell desktop pc (sound works, soundtest runs fine) I had no audio testing Youtube on Ms Edge- but running it with apulse worked perfectly.

I replied to this already in another thread, but in case you did not see that one, I reported that I tested MS Edge YouTube sound and it works fine for me. Based on Pipewire sound in antiX.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

PPC

tested MS Edge YouTube sound and it works fine for me. Based on Pipewire sound in antiX.

Many thanks for replying- I edited my post on the other thread so it reflects the good news: reboot, try again, have sound wording 100%. That’s computers for you! 🙂

@all: anyone tested my proposed commands to automate the process of “fixing” Pipewire sound not working on some devices (automatizing abc’s instructions)? As always, all useful input is appreciated!

P.

caprea

Just found the next system where wireplumber sometimes ( out of 7 boots or reboots about once ) does not start and as a result no volumeicon and no sound.Trying now the changes from abc-nix on that system.
                          This problem is not so easy to notice, because it doesn’t happen every boot and you don’t need the sound every time.

@PPC, the first and second sed commands do not work here, the last one does.

@Brian, while browsing the forums I noticed at least one ps_mem.py output from you, where pipewire is started but not wireplumber.You should not have had sound in that case.

PPC

@caprea – sorry! I corrected the first sed commands. The process should correctly work now!

P.

Brian Masinick

If sound is not working I’ve never noticed. 100% of the time, regardless of what I was doing the sound was working; it’s more likely that either I didn’t copy something or the tools didn’t share it.
                              I have noticed that ps_mem.py does not include every process so I wouldn’t be surprised if either I missed copying or if the tool itself didn’t display everything correctly; in either case I have had good results.

I’m going to try the latest PPC procedure that supposedly automatically includes the items that abc-nix has previously documented to make sure that works and I will test again.

My sound testing hasn’t been exhaustive, nor do I have a sophisticated audio system so my tests are not authoritative nor complete; all I care about for my use cases is that the audio system meets my needs. So far it gets a perfect score for my needs. As we know very well by now, we have such a diverse community that one solution doesn’t necessarily meet everyone equally; different hardware works differently. I’m happy with what I have in place.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@caprea – sorry! I corrected the first sed commands. The process should correctly work now!

P.

Thanks @PPC
                                I’ll try to check it out later today.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

abc-nix wrote a very easy to use tutorial, but some people are afraid to do “complex” stuff like following easy instructions to edit files and also run terminal commands…
                                  So I tried to automatize all that abc-nix suggestes and allow terminal commands to be used to make the necessary edits to the config files:

antiX Menu > Terminal:

`mkdir $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire
                                  sed -i ‘/^context.exec/a { path = “pipewire-pulse” args = “” }’ $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                                  sed -i ‘/^context.exec/a { path = “wireplumber” args = “” }’ $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                                  sed -i ‘s/pipewire-start/pipewire/g’ $HOME/.desktop-session/startup`

Edit: Sorry! By mistake, I copied non working code. the correct commands (that should work) are:

mkdir $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire
                                  sed -i '/^context.exec/a { path = "pipewire-pulse" args = "" }' $HOME/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                                  sed -i '/^context.exec/a { path = "wireplumber" args = "" }' $HOME/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf
                                  sed -i 's/pipewire-start/pipewire/g' $HOME/.desktop-session/startup

And reboot your computer. If all goes well, volumeicon will appear and you’ll have audio working normally using pipewire (i.e. you won’t ever need to use apulse to have sound working).

P.

I copied the updated script and it’s working; I also double-checked, and indeed I have all three of the expected processes – pipewire, pipewire-pulse, and wireplumber showing up, both in ps ax and in sudo ps_mem.py, so whatever may have been wrong or “off” are certainly fine today, andd as far as I can tell the script works. I’ll reboot later and verify it again, and I’ll also try it on my other antiX instance.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 139 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.