Pipewire and volumeicon startup proposed solution for antiX 23

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Pipewire and volumeicon startup proposed solution for antiX 23

• This topic has 138 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Jan 31-10:54 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I put the @PPC script on my other system and also checked – ps ax | grep wire
      2462 ? Sl 0:01 pipewire
      2519 ? Sl 0:00 wireplumber
      2521 ? Sl 0:01 pipewire-pulse

All there! Checked a simple program with audio; works fine for me.
      Was also working on my other system; I’ll check it again just to be 100% positive.

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I put the @PPC script on my other system and also checked – ps ax | grep wire
        2462 ? Sl 0:01 pipewire
        2519 ? Sl 0:00 wireplumber
        2521 ? Sl 0:01 pipewire-pulse

All there! Checked a simple program with audio; works fine for me.
        Was also working on my other system; I’ll check it again just to be 100% positive.

Confirmed working on both of my installed systems!

--
        Brian Masinick

caprea

PPC, thanks for the fast correction.

meurglys

@PPC volumeicon still doesn’t load up every time, but for the most part sound works. I’m using herbstluftwm, in my polybar, sometimes it’s volume module shows up in my polybar, regardless of whether or not volumeicon loads in the system tray. If I refresh my desktop, the volume icon shows in my polybar setting, along with volumeicon, depending on whether it loaded during that particular boot.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by meurglys.
            • This reply was modified 7 months ago by meurglys.
            marcelocripe

I wrote:
              I just changed “sleep 5” to “sleep 7” in the “startup” file. I’ll test it for the next few days and then I’ll come back here to tell you if it worked for me.
              Thank you.

I performed the test of just increasing the delay time value from “sleep 5” to “sleep 7” in the “startup” file. From September 10, 2023 until September 13, 2023. Only today the volume icon was not displayed in the system tray and the sound did not work.

PPC wrote:
              abc-nix wrote a very easy to use tutorial, but some people are afraid to do “complex” stuff like following easy instructions to edit files and also run terminal commands…

I thank you for your enormous sensitivity in realizing that this is exactly what you wrote.

If this will be the “official” solution for antiX 23’s PipeWire, I already think of its automation as an executable, where people can apply the command or not. This new executable could be added to the PipeWire launcher and launcher graphical interface.

I applied the command that PPC made available, now I will do new tests over the next few days. Then I will return here to inform you if there was any failure in displaying the volume icon in the system tray and any type of absence of sound.

Thank you very much.

– – – – –

Eu escrevi:
              Eu fiz apenas a alteração do “sleep 5” para “sleep 7” no arquivo “startup”. Eu irei testar pelos próximos dias e depois eu retorno aqui para contar se funcionou para mim.
              Obrigado.

Eu realizei o teste de apenas aumentar o valor do tempo de atraso de “sleep 5” para “sleep 7” no arquivo “startup”. Do dia 10 de setembro de 2023 até o dia 13 de setembro de 2023. Somente hoje o ícone do volume não foi exibido na bandeja do sistema e o som não funcionava.

PPC wrote:
              abc-nix wrote a very easy to use tutorial, but some people are afraid to do “complex” stuff like following easy instructions to edit files and also run terminal commands…

Eu agradeço por sua enorme sensibilidade em perceber que é exatamente o que você escreveu.

Se esta será a solução “oficial” para o PipeWire do antiX 23, eu já penso na sua automatização como um executável, onde as pessoas poderão aplicar ou não o comando. Este novo executável poderia ser adicionado na interface gráfica do ativador e desativador do PipeWire.

Eu apliquei o comando que o PPC disponibilizou, agora eu irei fazer novos testes pelos próximos dias. Depois eu retorno aqui para informar se ocorreu alguma falha na exibição do ícone do volume da bandeja do sistema e algum tipo de ausência do som.

Muito obrigado.

PPC

volumeicon still doesn’t load up every time, but for the most part sound works

Can you please provide more details? When volumeicon does not load – does sound work correctly?
                When volumeicon does not load automatically, can you launch it manually (for example antiX menu > “run” > and type “volumeicon” without the quotes.

What does “for the most part sound works”? Do you mean that usually you have sound but, sometimes, when you boot antiX, you have no sound at all?

when for some reason I did not have volumeicon and/or have no sound, I wait a few seconds (I used to wait about 1 minute) after booting and restart you desktop. That seems to work for you (since volumeicon comes up if you refresh the Window Manager, right?).

Possibility: if audio always works and the only problem you have is volumeicon sometimes not loading, adding a “sleep 5 &” line in the startup file, before the volumeicon line should do the trick (if needed, increase the value of the sleep to more than 5 seconds).
                Probably what happens is that your system is so slow that it’s always on the brink of not finishing loading everything pipewire requires to run before loading volumeicon. That’s probably why, when you fresh the desktop, volumeicon appears normally (pipewire and everything that it requires is already loaded, so all the system has to do is loading the volumeicon, without any problems).

P.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by PPC.
                PPC

@Marcelocripe – my suggested commands are only a way to implement the fix abc-nix found in a way that requires less work from the users. Future antiX versions, if they keep pipewire as default sound server, should come with a corrected pipewire configuration file and corrected startup file out of the box.
                  If this suggestion works for all users (it seems to not fully work for meurglys) it can be placed on the Release notes of antiX 23 as a way to fix sound not working.

@anticapitalista – If this suggestion works, probably one way that it can be implemented without any work from the user is altering pipewire’s .deb package that is in antix repo, so it includes the change in it’s config file. If that happens, the solution for lack of audio will be: update the system then restart it (if using runnit) or reboot it (if using sysv), and sound should be working. Problem: when testing antiX Live, one can’t easily “reboot” it without losing all changes (so the config file change would be lost).

P.

meurglys

@PPC

Can you please provide more details? When volumeicon does not load – does sound work correctly?
                    When volumeicon does not load automatically, can you launch it manually (for example antiX menu > “run” > and type “volumeicon” without the quotes.

What does “for the most part sound works”? Do you mean that usually you have sound but, sometimes, when you boot antiX, you have no sound at all?

when for some reason I did not have volumeicon and/or have no sound, I wait a few seconds (I used to wait about 1 minute) after booting and restart you desktop. That seems to work for you (since volumeicon comes up if you refresh the Window Manager, right?).

I never know upon booting into my antiX SysV setup what will show up in my polybar. Each time is different. Sometimes I have both a polybar and volumeicon appearing, other times, it’s either one or the other. On those occasions, I usually have working sound, and if I refresh my desktop, and or, logout, and re-log back in they both appear.

But not always. I have had the rare occasion, when the sound server showed disabled in the input tab under pavucontrol, but rebooting corrects this. This seems to occur less since issuing the proposed fix.

I have my sleep for the volumeicon set to 7. I suspect, that you may be correct in my system is a tad on the older side, an Intel i3-2350M (4) @ 2.300Ghz with Intel graphics.

PPC

my system is a tad on the older side, an Intel i3

Lol. My netbook is an ATOM 1.6GHz ,single core, sharing 1 Gb of RAM with the internal video card, and with an hard drive so slow that antiX runs much faster in live mode, from an USB pendrive. The few times I tested antiX live on it, on zzz-icewm or just icewm (and I tried once on fluxbox and once on jwm), the volume icon always came up and I had sound (without applying abc-nix’s fix, just refreshing the Window Manager after some seconds). I would bet slowness of your CPU is not causing this problem… Hum… This is “above my pay grade”. Lets see if someone else has similar problems, after applying the fix…

P.

caprea

I have had the rare occasion, when the sound server showed disabled in the input tab under pavucontrol

Probably when wireplumber is not starting.You can post the output of
                        pgrep -l wire
                        if this happens again, after you added the fix from abc-nix to your system, please.

caprea

PPC, because of meurglys problem I checked again your first and second sed command and they still do not work for me.Sorry, false alarm again, they work.

@meurglys, could you please check if a file got created in your /home/xxxxxx/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf which contains exactly

{ path = "wireplumber" args = "" }
                          { path = "pipewire-pulse" args = "" }

at the end.Otherwise the fix was not added.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by caprea.
                          meurglys

@caprea Yes, both are in the pipewire.conf file. Like I stated previously, even time I boot it’s a whole new ballgame. Crazy!

PPC

This may be relevant for people with audio problems under pipewire – that are not using abc-nix’s fix… I’m experimenting with antiX 23 Live, and I ended up messing the audio configuration.

How I got it to work again (using the terminal):

ps -aux | grep wire

This command showed up the processes that were used (you can ignore the last line, that ends up in “grep wire”):

In my case I got

demo       40764  0.0  0.1 111552 11080 pts/2    Sl   16:37   0:00 pipewire
                              demo       40767  0.0  0.0  93616  7988 pts/2    Sl   16:37   0:00 pipewire-pulse
                              demo       40897  0.0  0.2 323576 19852 pts/3    Sl   16:38   0:00 wireplumber

The second number on each column is the process id. I killed each one of them using “kill [processnumber]”

In this example:

kill 40764 
                              kill 40767
                              kill 40897

Edit: you only need to kill first pipewire’s process and then pipewire-pulse’s process. Wireplumber seems to close automatically when pipewire process is killed off.

This makes sure nothing pipewire related is running. Then I started each program:

pidof pipewire || pipewire &
                              pidof wireplumber || wireplumber &
                              pidof pipewire-pulse || pipewire-pulse &

I ran ps -aux | grep wire again. Wireplumber was not running, for some reason, so I launched it manually again:

wireplumber &

and then ran:

ps -aux | grep wire

yep. Now it’s running all right.

volumeicon &

Volumeicon poped up. Tested audio. Everything is working…

So having an unfixed pipewire act out for some reason is not a big deal… IF you know your way around the terminal AND which commands to run… That’s Linux, for you.

P.

Edit: I previously reported that, for some seconds after running PAVU, I could not run the speakertest. I just tried running it with PAVU running. I get this error:

Playback device is default
                              Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
                              Using 16 octaves of pink noise
                              ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:999:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
                              Playback open error: -16,Dispositivo ou recurso ocupado

(the last line says “Device or resource busy”)

Edit: volumeicon does not check it is already running. Every time you run the command, a new, useless, volumeicon pops up.
                              It would be useful if antiX has an alias for it, that stops that from happening, something like:

pidof volumeicon || volumeicon

Why do I suggest that? This way, volumeicon can be launched from within pipewire’s config (avoiding any problem launching it). Since volumeicon is running, started from pipewire, having “volumeicon &” on the startup file, would just make a second, useless, and Ram eating icon pop up…

Edit2:
                              What this experiment means is that if you are trying out antiX 23 live and have no audio, you can try abc-nix’s fix:
                              – First, like I did, make sure all 3 pipewire related processes are killed.
                              – Then apply the fix (either manually or using the commands I suggest).
                              – Then antiX Menu > Run > pipewire
                              – To be on the safe side, wait for about 10 seconds and then:
                              antiX Menu > Run > volumeicon

Volume icon should pop up and audio should be working, no restart required…

Too many ideas, I hope this all makes sense to someone… and someone else tries out this ideas (particularly the volumeicon alias and adding it to pipewire’s config).

P.

meurglys

My latest saga with pipewire is that every time I exit the gnubg game, it crashes pipewire. Pavucontrol shows the input server is not running. Sometimes logging in and out does the trick, other times, a reboot is what’s needed.

As far as I know gnubg is the first program I noticed do this. Everything else seems to be okay.

New mind that it’s still anyone’s guess as to when pipewire starts, if the volumeicon shows up, if the icon in my polybar config shows. There’s sill no consistency, on my end.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by meurglys.
                                PPC

every time I exit the gnubg game, it crashes pipewire.

I can’t reproduce this problem. I just tested. Started gnugb (I love board games, I’ll have to learn to play that sooner or later, thanks for reminind me this package exists in the repository!), heard it’s starting sound. Exited. Restarted the app and heard the starting sound again.

What I noticed is that pavucontrol causes the same problem that I noticed on the Control Centre’s audio test: if pavucontrol is running (or for a some 5 seconds after it runs) neither the audio test or gnubg produce sound… It’s almost like pavu grabs all audio output and does not allow any new output to play.
                                  Note: using volumeicon to manage the volume does NOT cause any of this strange problems, only pavu…

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 139 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.