Please can Linux 4.4 kernel be included in antiX19 repositories

Forum Forums General Hardware Please can Linux 4.4 kernel be included in antiX19 repositories

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Oct 21-4:11 am by mikey777.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I notice that 4.9 is the oldest kernel in antiX19’s Synaptic Package Manager.
    This is a shame because I have old hardware which works with version 4.4, but
    not with 4.9.

Is there any work around this problem, e.g. importing the linux-headers and linux-image
    for an i686 machine from elsewhere for Kernel 4.4 ?

Many thanks for any help & advice on this one. I so want to use antiX19, as it
    will give me another 5 years …

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by mikey777.
    VWVW

This might help you.

“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.” — Thomas Paine.

XecureXecure

Try this from the jessie repo:
    linux-4.4.176 – 686 – pae
    I am not sure if you need some specific firmware. Leave this for last just in case.

Download the linux-headers and linux-image .deb files or (if it doesn’t work and you need to compile some special features) compile your own kernel from the orig.tar.gz file.

Good luck.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Xecure. Reason: typo
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

I’ll see if I can get a 4.4 kernel to build on antiX-17 and antiX-19.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

4.4.195 kernels available in the repos (for antiX-17-stretch and antiX-19-buster).
    Let me know how well they work.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

@anticapitalista
    Many apologies for my delayed reply – I’ve been offline for over a week!
    First, a big thankyou for making the 4.4 kernel available in both the antiX17 & 19 repositories. I tested the 32-bit kernel for both the antiX17.4.1. and the antiX19 beta edition on a Packard-Bell Easynote MX37 laptop (dual-core CPU@1.47GHz, 2GB RAM).

antiX17.4.1: the 4.4 kernel and the preinstalled 4.9 (antix.2) one worked equally well for the above machine. There appear to be no problems for either kernel with the Sis graphics.

antiX19 beta3: two advantages appear with the 4.4 kernel. First, there is no list of ACPI errors at boot-up which appears with the preinstalled kernel. Second, and more importantly, the graphics are much improved, i.e. the annoying horizontal grey bars appearing on the panel at boot-up with the preinstalled kernel, are absent with kernel 4.4. However with antiX19 beta 3, another problem still persists, i.e. the Ice desktop regularly freezes, requiring it to be refreshed. I did try the 4.9 kernel in the antiX19 repository, but it also gave ACPI errors on boot-up – I notice though that the version isn’t the same as the one preinstalled with anti17.4.1 (i.e. kernel 4.9 antix.2 vs 4.9 antix.1).

PS. i686 kernel versions gave a better result than the i386 versions.

I hope this helpful.
    Many thanks again.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by mikey777.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.