Please check my options for installation antiX19

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Please check my options for installation antiX19

Tagged: 

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jul 28-8:04 pm by BobC.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kexs

Hello dear Antix team,

As a newcomer with a Thinkpad T41 from 1999 I would like to introduce myself and have a question about the installation of Antix-19-Basic.

My name is Kexs, 52, a little Linux experience, not a professional in the terminal.

At the moment I want to install Antix-19 in addition to Win-XP. No separate home partition should be set up. I also have 2 partitions with Fat32 for data.
    I am sending 2 pictures. Please check there whether I can leave my entries as they are and start the installation. Do I have to set a “/” instead of “noatime” for “mount options” in sda2?

Lots of love
    Kexs

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

It seems good.
    the “noatime” is the default set by the installer, so no need to change it. Leave as is.
    Installation should be OK. 25GBs for root is more than enough if you are going to use a separate data partition to store heavy files.

Just a note on the fat32 data partition. You can store there as much as you want, but not files larger than 4GBs (if I am not mistaken). If that is not a problem, I think your configuration is good.

Another note. What will you use to manage the boot menus? XP or antiX? Installation order could be important depending on which system you want to manage the boot.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Kexs
    Helpful
    Up

hello Xecure, thank you very much for your answer.
    When I switched on my laptop, the Grub selection page was always displayed at the beginning. Linux started automatically after approx. 8-10 seconds (last time it was Helium). If I wanted to start Win-XP, I had to go down to the corresponding line.
    This is how it should be in the future. Always antiX first. Grub would be right in the MBR then, right?
    With a maximum of 4 GB with Fat32, I know.

I think the antiX is very nicely done.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Looks great. Many Thinkpads used by different members in the forum, so a solid computer.

It seems you have everything under control 😉

Kexs
    Helpful
    Up

🙂
    okay then i will start the installation. Hope everything works out. I’ll be happy to tell you how it went.
    Yes, the Thinkpads are great. I had already changed the screen, swapped fans … always XP and since there have been no updates, I made friends with Linux. Unfortunately I am not that experienced in terminal. Can only do a little, but I’ll practice.
    Thank you.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Since you seem to have a very positive attitude towards linux @Kexs, you should be OK with antiX.
    Just post if you need any more assistance.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Kexs,

Welcome to antiX Linux and to the forum.

I don’t know how to write in English language, so I send you my texts translated by internet translator, I hope you can understand everything.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

These tutorials were of great help to me.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, by checking this option you will receive a message in your email inbox whenever there are replies to the topic in question.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

OlĂĄ Kexs,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fĂłrum.

Eu nĂŁo sei escrever em idioma inglĂȘs, por isso eu te envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que vocĂȘ consiga compreender tudo.

Independentemente do seu nĂ­vel de conhecimento sobre GNU/Linux, eu recomendo vocĂȘ ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Estes tutoriais foram de grande ajuda para mim.

Quando vocĂȘ iniciar algum tĂłpico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, vocĂȘ receberĂĄ uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tĂłpico em questĂŁo.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em PortuguĂȘs do Brasil)

Kexs
    Helpful
    Up

i translate too 😉

Hello dear forum, the installation of antiX19 worked! 🙂 still had problems with grub, but I was able to fix this. At the moment I’m having a hard time with Rox Filer. It is currently impossible to copy or cut and transfer data (images) from my partitions. This worked with my previous distributions (Mint, BunsenLabs). I also can’t install Deb. Packages with gdebi. It then always breaks off. Otherwise I like it a lot. I still have to practice with Rox and read the tuturials. Thanks very much! Kexs with square eyes [] []

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I don’t want to step on anyone’s preferences, but I still prefer spacefm to rox-filer any day of the week. You can switch to it using the “preferred applications” app (can be launched from control Centre), or switching to a space-icewm session (menu > Desktop > Other Desktops > Space-icewm).
    The copy/paste behavior is similar to other file managers.

Rox-filer, as how it is configured, promotes having two or more rox windows and drag-drop the files from one window to the other for copy-pasting (or at least that is my understanding).

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

One advantage of rox is that it uses very little memory. For example, in @Xecure ‘s concept Bullseye-B1 iso, I opened up 20 rox windows, and the operating system was using only (13.9 Mib + 3.3 Mib = 17.2 Mib) for rox. Compare that to only 1 tab in 1 window of spaceFM (28.1 MiB + 7.0 MiB = 35.1 MiB) in the same system. It was awkward to use rox at first, but I have come to use it for almost all file manager needs. The only thing I use spaceFM for is to copy files from one hard drive to another hard drive. In that case, I open two spaceFM windows as root (in terminal: sudo spaceFM).
    Just my own opinion.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Kexs,

I recommend you use the second option mentioned by Xecure (menu > Desktop > Other Desktops > Space-icewm). The antiX developers have taken the trouble to make several different options available (combination of desktop + window manager + file manager) so that we users can choose the one that suits us best. The Space-IceWM desktop is the one that has the behavior most similar to the other GNU/Linux distributions you mentioned and is still similar to the behavior of Windows XP. At first I also changed the preferences, making the Rox-IceWM desktop similar to Space-IceWM, but this is unnecessary, since the Space-IceWM desktop is ready to use.

When you have time to read both topics, if necessary use the internet translators to understand all the explanations that PPC was kind enough to summarize and transform into topics. Several of your doubts will be answered in this topic, if you still have doubts, know that here there will always be good people willing to help.

Prefer the translation of my original text in Brazilian Portuguese directly into your language, you will certainly obtain a more understandable result.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Kexs,

Eu recomendo vocĂȘ utilizar a segunda opção mencionada pelo Xecure (menu > Desktop > Other Desktops > Space-icewm). Os desenvolvedores do antiX se deram o trabalho de disponibilizar diversas opçÔes diferentes e prontas (combinação de ĂĄrea de trabalho + gerenciador de janelas + gerenciador de arquivos) para nĂłs usuĂĄrios podermos escolher aquela que se adĂ©qua melhor para cada gosto. A ĂĄrea de trabalho Space-IceWM Ă© a que possui o comportamento mais parecido com as outras distribuiçÔes GNU/Linux que vocĂȘ citou e ainda Ă© semelhante ao comportamento do Windows XP. No inĂ­cio eu tambĂ©m alterava as preferĂȘncias, tornando a ĂĄrea de trabalho Rox-IceWM semelhante a Space-IceWM, mas isso Ă© desnecessĂĄrio, haja vista que a ĂĄrea de trabalho Space-IceWM estĂĄ pronta para uso.

Quando tiver tempo disponĂ­vel leia os dois tĂłpicos, se necessĂĄrio utilize os tradutores da internet para compreender todas as explicaçÔes que o PPC fez a gentileza de resumir e transformar em tĂłpicos. VĂĄrias dĂșvidas suas serĂŁo respondidas neste tĂłpicos, se mesmo assim tiver dĂșvidas, saiba que aqui sempre terĂĄ boas pessoas dispostas a ajudar.

Prefira a tradução do meu texto original em idioma PortuguĂȘs do Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma, certamente vocĂȘ obterĂĄ um resultado mais compreensĂ­vel.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em PortuguĂȘs do Brasil)

Kexs
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for your informative answers and tips. I have now understood what Rox and his lightness are all about. A data exchange by copying, etc. is then also possible through root. Rox would be my favorite too. For my old and weak Thinkpad, Rox is a power bar! 🙂

I have two another small problems: since I haven’t gotten any further for days, googled and looked here in the forum, I would like to open a new topic for this.

Thank you for the good start 🙂

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

mc – Midnight Commander is a terminal based file manager, a super enhanced clone of the old Norton Commander, and it is very quick on old hardware. It is available from the repos if not already included.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by BobC.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.