Report forum issues

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Report forum issues

• This topic has 92 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Sep 2-1:37 pm by oops.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Stéphane Ascoët

Almost each time I try to login, I get a fence message in the face(in this moment, it’s the first time I succeed logging-in for weeks).

andfree

In Pale Moon 32.2.0, “Search Forums” is not working.

Same in SeaMonkey 2.53.16, Firefox-esr 91.13.0esr (32-bit), Tor Browser 12.0.1 (based on Mozilla Firefox 102.6.0esr (32-bit).
        But it works in more minimal browsers, as NetSurf 3.10 (24th May 2020), Dillo 3, Links 2.

seriousness

I’m here on Ubuntu Studio 22.04 and in Firefox 114 it also doesn’t work anymore.

caprea

But it works in more minimal browsers, as NetSurf 3.10 (24th May 2020), Dillo 3, Links 2.

Indeed, it does.

Brian Masinick

In Pale Moon 32.2.0, “Search Forums” is not working.

Same in SeaMonkey 2.53.16, Firefox-esr 91.13.0esr (32-bit), Tor Browser 12.0.1 (based on Mozilla Firefox 102.6.0esr (32-bit).

I’m here with the Firefox 114.0.1 browser; just before this I was here with the current Chromium Browser available from the repo.
              I’ve used Palemoon, Seamonkey, Firefox ESR and others; all work for me. If I see otherwise I’ll comment further, but I use a LOT of different browsers; EVEN Konqueror, the KDE Plasma File Manager/Browser has worked here in the past (not that many of us will actually use it).

I DO acknowledge that the forum’s SEARCH capability does NOT work with Firefox or Seamonkey (and probably the others cited); however, on a prior page there is a search tool that I shared; this CAN be used from most any browser to access topics in antiX –

EXAMPLE of a way it works – and I’m using this in Seamonkey now:
              http://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aantixforum.com+search+%22Digital+Clock%22&hps=1&atb=v344-1&ia=web

or site:antixforum.com search “Digital Clock” from a Search engine; I use duckduckgo

I just tried to search for Debian 12 Bookworm using this method and it works too.
              http://duckduckgo.com/?q=+site%3Aantixforum.com+search+%E2%80%9CDebian+12+Bookworm%22&t=h_&ia=web

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Brian Masinick.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Indeed, it does.

I could get links2 to work, though I personally find the user interface clumsy.
                I couldn’t get the installed version of netsurf to even login to antixforum.com; tried several times.
                I can’t login with Dillo either, though when I attempted to READ the forum, that would work, so
                perhaps that would work with netsurf too. So for me anyway, I’d rather use the richer featured
                browsers coupled with the site specific search string in one of the search engines EXTERNAL
                to the forum site; that works pretty well and it’s only a minor inconvenience.

Going back to the issues we faced quite few months ago – and I was the contact person
                with our administrator, we disabled several features; not positive, but at one point we
                also disabled private messages and we disabled search while we were researching; not
                positive we enabled a search tool that works with ALL browsers because some of the
                tools we had previously installed were having side effects with the anti spam tools,
                which we HAD to prioritize because we were, at the time, getting as many as thousands
                of spammers hitting our site in anywhere from a day to a week – it got pretty bad
                a few times.

--
                Brian Masinick

linuxdaddy

On the forum, the same few threads appear in all of the topics at the top of it.

Brian Masinick

On the forum, the same few threads appear in all of the topics at the top of it.

This is because a few of the “common question” topics have been “pinned” to the top of the forum so that
                    the discussion and solutions can be easily found.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

One of the things that the admin and the anti spam filter added at one point to reduce the chances of our site experiencing “brute force attacks” is that if too many posts are attempted at the same time, they are either held back or blocked outright.

If you experience any delay when you are posting a message, please wait a moment or too; a possible intrusion may be in progress. It’s actually the intruder(s) who are “slowing down” the system, particularly since our measures are attempting to thwart them. An unfortunate “side effect” could be that legitimate users also get “blocked” or held back when a brute force attack or other intrusion is in progress.

We’ve been having pretty good results lately, but I was made aware of a potential issue; if you experience what appears to be a slow down or unresponsive forum, please hang on a few minutes before posting; this could spare you and others additional issues.

I don’t have to do this very often, but when I see a delay in the responsiveness of our forum, I write my words in a simple text editor, such as Geany, Micro, Featherpad, nano, or whatever I have handy. Then as things clear up, I save, copy, and paste whatever I plan to share; if there’s still a problem, I wait patiently with my contents in and editor; hasn’t failed me yet.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I ran into an issue myself:
                        I have used many different Web browsers, and today I put together a version of Chromium Ungoogled; it works fine with many Websites and I was able to “browse” here without “logging in”, but immediately when I attempted to login I got a rejection page.
                        Our good friend @PPC ran into issues today; I’m wondering if he was attempting to visit here with an ungoogled instance of Chromium too?
                        It’s the only browser with fairly full-featured capabilities that has ever had problems for me; for that matter, even some of the old browsers, though they don’t give a very attractive “presentation”, at least they work; even as a Moderator, I got a rejection when attempting to login with Chromium Ungoogled, yet I came right back in less than a minute later with another browser and all was well. Went back to Chromium Ungoogled, SAME problem.

It’ll be interesting to uncover precisely what that browser has that trips up our forum and leads to rejected attempts to login. Mind you, it’s possible to VISIT our forum with Chromium Ungoogled; it simply WON’T let users – at least me – and possibly PPC and others, to login. Anyone else experience this, and if so, did you find a fix, workaround, or is this a browser issue or a “we won’t let you ‘phone home’ issue?”

--
                        Brian Masinick

PPC

Well, yesterday I got locked out of the forum (noticed that while trying to upload my last GUI for antiX-23, yeah, how fun). Today I realized it was probably a block on my IP, so, after restarting the modem and getting a new IP, with Mr. Masinick’s help, things got solved.

P.

Brian Masinick

Well, yesterday I got locked out of the forum (noticed that while trying to upload my last GUI for antiX-23, yeah, how fun). Today I realized it was probably a block on my IP, so, after restarting the modem and getting a new IP, with Mr. Masinick’s help, things got solved.

P.

Glad you are back in action today. Your assistance and wisdom are appreciated every day!

--
                            Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

Hi all,
                              getting very sick of being IP Blocked by word farce, had to workaround by VPN with Vivaldi to be able to login.
                              Had tried from about 6:30 am to first successful login attempt now at 14:30.

I have no chance to change my IP, same goes for all other users who are in Vodafone cable network and today
                              having network exit point Hameln. More usual is Bremen but it can change daily.

Nowhere near as much of a loss as PPC being locked out but somewhat irritating.

Brian Masinick

There is not an easy or automatic solution here.

Sometimes the performance of our forum is very good for hours, then
                                the network attacks happen, the anti spam software filters and the site
                                performance suffers.

Nothing that putting in an enterprise quality solution wouldn’t fix;
                                our problem is that we do not have enterprise quality funds available
                                unless one of our participants has deep pockets. We do have a solid
                                server configuration for our forum and the person who volunteered a
                                system and a service provider has been very generous; I’m thankful
                                for that: I hope others are too!

--
                                Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

Regarding Forum Login UngoogledChromium and Librewolf are both working.
                                  Here with Version 114.0.5735.198 (Official Build, ungoogled-chromium) custom (64-Bit)
                                  and usualy using LibreWolf with latest now vers: 115.0.1.1

My recent troubles were confirmed due IP Blocking.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Xunzi_23.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.