Policykit-123 with elogind support on antiX 23

Forum Forums General Software Policykit-123 with elogind support on antiX 23

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated Sep 23-2:44 pm by abc-nix.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    abc-nix

This is a draft post to be fixed and completed later.

Summary:
      I observed that policykit 122 in antiX 23 has some issues with elogind. I decided to package version 123 of policykit (source available in the antiX-testing apt repo) with some special changes to fix those issues. I share the packages here for anyone who may need them.

Why install this policykit update?
      – Fixes the issue described in the topic AntiX-23 LXDE Error Dialogue Boxes when using elogind instead of consolekit.
      – Fixes the “Error: Timeout was reached” error message returned by a packagekit hook for apt commands mentioned in this topic.
      – Fixes the error message “Error initializing authority: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 127” mentioned in this post when running a program that requires policykit.
      – (NOT TESTED) May fix the issues experienced when running a desktop environment (like gnome or xfce) that require policykit to work properly.

Steps to update policykit on antiX 23:
      1. Download all files found in this online folder.
      2. Create a folder named policykit in your home directory
      mkdir $HOME/policykit
      and move all .deb files downloaded in step 1 to said folder.
      3. Generate a packagelist file for the .deb packages in $HOME/policykit (requires you have the dpkg-dev package installed).

cd $HOME
      dpkg-scanpackages policykit /dev/null | gzip -9c > ./policykit/Packages.gz

4. Create a local repository folder on your system and copy over the policykit packages. This will make it possible for apt to locate and install the policykit packages when needed. (you can remove the $HOME/policykit folder after this step)

sudo mkdir /local-repo
      sudo cp -r $HOME/policykit /local-repo/

5. Create a new source for apt that points to this local repo directory.
      echo "deb [trusted=yes] file:/local-repo/ policykit/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local.list > /dev/null
      6. Update the apt list of available packages so you can install them when required in the future or so you can upgrade the older policykit packages on your system that are giving you problems.
      sudo apt update
      7. Upgrade your system with apt or install the programs that depend on policykit so they are fetched from the local repo.

Note 1: I have tested these steps and this local repo doesn’t seem to conflict with normal antiX use or installation of various general packages. As it is so specific (centered around policykit), there shouldn’t be any dependency conflicts in the future. If at some point the antiX developer updates the policykit version in antiX 23 repos, as long as it isn’t version 123 or higher, it will not conflict with this local repo.

Note 2: Installing is the easy part. Removing the installed policykit packages is difficult. If you don’t need this update, don’t do it. If you only need it for specific software, then install that software, use it, and then remove it. After that you can remove policykit and the local repo.

Steps to remove the policykit packages and the local repo when/if you no longer require them
      1. Remove the apt source file
      sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local.list
      2. Remove the local repo directory
      sudo rm -fdr /local-repo
      3. Update the list of available packages.
      sudo apt update
      4. You may remove the policykit packages you previously installed, or manually install the version 122 policykit packages from the antiX repos. If you don’t know which and want to remove everything, you can run this command (beware some other programs may also be removed):
      sudo apt remove policykit-1 polkitd libpolkit*

Why do this when antiX doesn’t bring elogind by default? Are you against the antiX policy?
      Short answer: This is optional and I am not proposing to replace antiX’s current behavior. I need it, some users may need it, so I share it here. That is all there is to this post.
      Please don’t bring any unnecessary criticism to this topic. It is a patch for a very specific usecase. I have no intention of getting into philosophical discussions.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.