Possible to install Antix Heather Heyer on a Sony Playstation 2?

Forum Forums General Hardware Possible to install Antix Heather Heyer on a Sony Playstation 2?

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 27-5:01 pm by lubod.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sadshark [p.n.2001]Sadshark [p.n.2001]

Hi all. Sorry I haven’t been around much. However, I regularly recommend Antix to people with old systems, and I still think it’s the best option for modern day 32-bit usage. Anyway…

So I have been wondering. I saw this video recently showing a PS2 game console running Debian, and I was wondering if something like that would actually be possible with Antix. I know this is a really obscure topic, but would be curious to know if anybody has any info on this.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Sadshark [p.n.2001].
    • This topic was modified 2 years ago by Sadshark [p.n.2001].

Running antinataliX GNU/Linux 19.9 on my Compaq Mini 110c-1100
    On my desktop running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    The antinatalist antifascist childfree vegan mini-manifesto
    Bertolt Brecht's beautiful poem, the Unconquerable Inscription.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Don’t know. But if I had a playstation 2. I’d give it a go.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Hey Roky,

If you are ever on a road trip through NM on I-40, I have a sony ps2-slim you can
    have I just wasn’t gonna do ship/handling on.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

lubodlubod

@sadshark

According to this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2
    It has a custom MIPS CPU. There are two Debian MIPS ports, for little and big endian, because the hardware can run either, but it can’t be switched on the fly in software, and the kernel and binaries need to both be the same – either little or big, but not a mix of the two. So that is why Debian can run.
    Installing antix would require recompiling antix packages for MIPS (whichever port works on the PS2), either with a cross compiler on a PC, or directly on a PS2 already running the right version of Debian (e.g. 9 for 17.4 binaries). And if it’s to be more than a one off test, but usable, there would have to be a MIPS directory of packages in the antix repos, so others can install later without more recompilation from source. Not completely impossible, but a lot of work for whoever does it first, and also for the antix admins.

Hi all. Sorry I haven’t been around much. However, I regularly recommend Antix to people with old systems, and I still think it’s the best option for modern day 32-bit usage. Anyway…

So I have been wondering. I saw this video recently showing a PS2 game console running Debian, and I was wondering if something like that would actually be possible with Antix. I know this is a really obscure topic, but would be curious to know if anybody has any info on this.

Restore older computers to working order.
    Computers everyone else insists are obsolete and useless.

Current recordholder:
    Generic Pentium III 600 Mhz with 512Mb RAM and 10Gb HD
    Working on Cyrix M2 333 Mhz with 64Mb RAM and OS on IDE to SD card 4Gb

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.